AUG/SEPT 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Is it worth it for you?" That depends. Will it be worth it for you if you lose your job and those other increases because you passed on protection? No one, NO ONE, is safe from cutbacks. Think the hubs are insulated? If the AA merger actually happens, do yuo really think the new company will keep ORD, JFK, PHL, and CLT? LAX and PHX? Some hub will go. The new airline will still fly there, but they won't be the same size. Look at PIT and LAS. Jobs WILL be lost.

But yeah, it's always nice to have a raise. I guess it doesn't matter if you're not there to receive it.

As much as I am heavily in favor of putting an end to the outsourcing of stations, I'm afraid that a majority of the damage has been done. We need to stop the trend, but more importantly, we need to get some of the outsourced work back. How many are aware of the number of mainline flts it takes to lose a station vs those to get it back? I can tell you that the weekly number to get our lost work back is nearly double of what it was to lose the work. Who on earth agreed on these numbers?

Yes, and that was at the beginning of an injury, not afterwards. Based on what I'm seeing, they want you at 100% when you come back.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that US will make you come back after an OJI that resulted in needing surgery, even if have heavy restrictions...I know someone right now that is coming in for 8 hours and watching TV because of restrictions that prevent any type of job to be performed...

"Is it worth it for you?" That depends. Will it be worth it for you if you lose your job and those other increases because you passed on protection? No one, NO ONE, is safe from cutbacks. Think the hubs are insulated? If the AA merger actually happens, do yuo really think the new company will keep ORD, JFK, PHL, and CLT? LAX and PHX? Some hub will go. The new airline will still fly there, but they won't be the same size. Look at PIT and LAS. Jobs WILL be lost.

But yeah, it's always nice to have a raise. I guess it doesn't matter if you're not there to receive it.
My point exactly. Compensation improvements mean nothing to a member who is going to lose their job. Brothers and Sisters this issue, by it's very nature, is divisive. necigrad raises a very good point concerning the members in the hubs regarding this issue. Keep kicking the issue "can down the road" and it will eventually and most certainly arrive in some of the "hubs" with an eventual merger. I worked my first 19 years in PIT. When I transferred PIT was at it's peak. 50 gates to handle mainline flights and an entire E concourse to handle Express. The vast majority in PIT, at the time I transferred, believed they were insulated too. Look at where PIT is now. To my brothers and sisters in the hub stations I propose we take a stand on this issue now... or the issue may be coming to you sooner than you think.
ograc

I can tell you with 100% certainty that US will make you come back after an OJI that resulted in needing surgery, even if have heavy restrictions...I know someone right now that is coming in for 8 hours and watching TV because of restrictions that prevent any type of job to be performed...
LD3,
Would love to know the details. We were "assured" in a step 3 hearing that employees were not returned from an OJI (workers comp.) claim, that required surgery, without a "Full Duty" release from the attending surgeon, based on the results of a company required Functional Capacity Examination (FCE). We were also "assured" this was a policy enforced on a systemwide basis. Please email me.
ograc

Yes, I know scope is important. It's moreso important because you guys are kind of industry standard.. Top out anywhere from 20-22/hr for most airlines. However, if you were only making 16-18/hr top out, at what point is the scope better than getting wages/benefits on par with the industry? I am in mx and wages are all over the place for the different airlines, but so is the scope. I was just curious as to others opinions

The WN/FL intergration, went DOH and DOC.

http://www.iamdl142.org/Bulletins/2012/WN_2012-120.pdf

The WN/FL intergration, went DOH and DOC.

http://www.iamdl142....WN_2012-120.pdf
The stark difference between the TWU and the IAM, regarding seniority integration, is now evident with the merger of Air Tran and Southwest. Seniority integation for the ramp was governed by the TWU. Seniority integration for Customer Service has been governed by the IAM. The potential merger with US and AA will bring this issue to the forefront if a representation election for the Fleet Service at the combined carrier comes to pass. Please fasten your seat belts... we're expecting turbulence and white waters ahead.
ograc
ograc

Wishing all a safe and enjoyable Labor Day!

(we deserve it!)

Labor Day Reflection

I know by now many on this thread know of my deep interest concerning the outsourcing of Fleet Service work on the US property. I have stated several times in the past how this issue should be the cornerstone to any future CBAs agreed to by our Negotiating Committee and ultimately ratified by the membership. IMO... there should never be an agreement that allows current union represented jobs to be subcontracted.
The FAA funding legislation that was recently passed has now made organizing new members more difficult and challenging than it had been in the past. Subsequently, this legislation will increasingly suppress labors' ability, going forward, to organize union represented membership in the workforce.
IMO... this continual erosion of union represented jobs is why we see the "middle class" standard of living in this country evaporating. We are becoming a nation of haves and have nots. A nation of excessive personal wealth and poverty. Guess where you and I will fall in this future senario.
With this in mind, Union Negotiating Committees and members alike should be making an unfailing effort to protect the union represented jobs they have. For the past few decades we have witnessed union represented jobs declining. Subsequently, we have witnessed the erosion of the middle class in this country. I submit for your consideration:

11.8%

Percentage of workers who were members of a union in 2011.

Enough said.

CARGO. Scope is # 1 . Members could be making $100.00 hr. but if your job is contracted out . So what . F/S at LCC is BLEEDING F/S jobs since the merger with A/Worst. Through contracting out and terminations how many more will WE loose before the MERGER ? Contracts and Hire Date for ALL in 2012. Apathy should not be an option Brothers and Sisters.

CARGO. Scope is # 1 . Members could be making $100.00 hr. but if your job is contracted out . So what . F/S at LCC is BLEEDING F/S jobs since the merger with A/Worst. Through contracting out and terminations how many more will WE loose before the MERGER ? Contracts and Hire Date for ALL in 2012. Apathy should not be an option Brothers and Sisters.
psa8979 and fellow forum members,
Union leadership and membership alike need to quickly realize outsourcing union jobs is a primary objective of many airlines in this industry. Among those are US and AA. They see this agenda, as a means of reducing future costs, increasing profits and ultimately returning more to the shareholders. All the while eroding the union's membership, leverage and influence on their agenda. This attack is being launched on many fronts. At US and AA it's being launched with Fleet Service, Maintenance and Customer Service. If we don't wake up to this agenda, as a membership, I'm afraid it's "game over" for everyone eventually.
ograc

about out sourcing ......

on the one hand i hate seeing our people lose jobs ......... but on the OTHER hand .........it doesn't make sense to hire full time crews for stations that might get 3 or 4 flights a day ... we need to make sure that our demands remain reasonable ... basiclly , if a station has US airways gate agents up stairs , then they need to have us airways rampers down stairs ...

I think that you are forgetting what those in smaller stations do, as they are in most cases more productive than those in the hubs. I'm willing to bet that an employee in a hub has just as much if not more downtime than an employee in a small station. Downtime is just part of the way things are in this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back