OCT/NOV 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we proceed in contract negotiations I am cautiously optimistic the NC understands there is a critical need for language improvement throughout the existing CBA. Improvements that will preserve existing represented jobs. The language governing outsourcing, attendance, seniority protection in the event of an acquisition or merger and pension to name a few. Improvements in this language is immeasurable to the preservation of Fleet Service jobs... which in the long term should be the focus of every member. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic the membership, in the event of a tentative agreement, will be able to see through short term hourly wage improvements and focus on the long term. Too many times members tend to flip through the language in the tentative agreement and go directly to hourly compensation. If the hourly wage compensation improvement is good they have reached their decision. The devil is in the details. The company knows this. They know us. Historically speaking... how do you think we got here? IMO... the challenge before the new leadership team, where past leadership teams have failed, is to educate, communicate, enlighten and solidify this fractured and self-centered group.
ograc

orgac, my unofficial understanding has been that the priorities are language and scope. I seems to me that they are shooting more for fixing what we have and less for getting more. That doesn't sound quite the way I intend, but I think you know what I'm saying.

orgac, my unofficial understanding has been that the priorities are language and scope. I seems to me that they are shooting more for fixing what we have and less for getting more. That doesn't sound quite the way I intend, but I think you know what I'm saying.
necigrad,
Understood. I too have unofficial understanding these are the priorities of the NC. My concern, however, is the priorities of the membership. As I said the challenge the leadership team is up against is getting the membership to understand there is so much more to a CBA than hourly wage. Getting them to review the compensation package as a whole. Getting them to review the entire Tentative Agreement. Until this is accomplished hourly wage will trump everything with this group. IMO... the company is hoping this group mentality remains. It's working quite well for them.
ograc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts