OCT/NOV 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jester,
At this point sick pay is not a benefit. It remains governed by company policy. I'm certainly not endorsing this injustice... just trying to get an assesment of the membership's opinion on how important this issue is pertaining to contract negotiations. Has the District released results of the call for contract proposals? Without this information we are left to speculate on the credence the membership assigns to improvements in the attendance policy. If, based on the results of contract proposals, the majority of the membership see this issue as one that needs addressed (strike vote issue) then I fully support it. Speaking for myself... I have not been privy to the results of the call for contract proposals. With that being said... no one knows with certainty how important this issue is in contract negotiations.

Ograc,

Sick Pay is most certainly a benefit of our CBA. Please look at Article 13B, and explain how it is governed by compnay policy?

Reactions: 1 person
Ograc,

Sick Pay is most certainly a benefit of our CBA. Please look at Article 13B, and explain how it is governed by compnay policy?

Maybe 700UW can post and get a copy of the IAM mechanics and related arbitration decision on attendance. I think it was Arbitrator Richard I. Block I remember reading the decision and it said that using sick leave legitimately is a benefit provide by the CBA . Like to see the award again I have search and can’t find it

It was a letter of agreement in our CBA, that stated you couldnt be disciplined for the legitimate use of sick time, meaning you had a Dr's note.

The company wasnt abiding by it and we took it to arbitration and won, but the award also stated that if you had a pattern of extending your weekend, or holidays that you could be disciplined.

It was a letter of agreement in our CBA, that stated you couldnt be disciplined for the legitimate use of sick time, meaning you had a Dr's note.

The company wasnt abiding by it and we took it to arbitration and won, but the award also stated that if you had a pattern of extending your weekend, or holidays that you could be disciplined.

Do you have a link to the L.O.A.? Or a link to the decision? I could not find in in the M & R CBA.

ograc,

Still waiting for your reasoning on how Article 13B is governed by company policy. Really Article 13 as a whole, how is it governed by company policy. All the attendance policy is, is a means to punish employees who use their accumulated sick time, as outlined in the CBA. Do/did you really believe that sick PAY was governed by company policy?

And this why you do not need a Dependability Point System in the CAB put it in the hands of the company to prove you were not sick. Get the unions to fight it out with the company and get the company/arbitrator to establish a pattern and set a policy that must be followed in future cases

thats because it was stripped in the chapter 11 abrogation.

Actually not. Maybe the LOA was though.

But those interested might try from the 2008 agreement:

Article 12 (E) line 5.

A summary and not a quote:

"Employees must be honest and prevent sick leave abuses. Employees may be required to provide confirmation of illness and the company may require, when in doubt, a doctors excuse. Employees who abuse the sick privileges may be subject to discipline."

ograc,

Still waiting for your reasoning on how Article 13B is governed by company policy. Really Article 13 as a whole, how is it governed by company policy. All the attendance policy is, is a means to punish employees who use their accumulated sick time, as outlined in the CBA. Do/did you really believe that sick PAY was governed by company policy?
pj,
Plenty of language under Article 13, B concerning the accrual of sick leave time and how it is to be paid. Article 13, C... "Sick occurrences under these procedures may subject employees to departmental attendance control procedures." In other words... company policy. This is where the injustice lies that Jester speaks of. Attendance control procedures or policies, call it what you may, that can railroad an employee out the door for using contractual sick leave. Our sick leave is most certainly governed and trumped by the company's Attendance Control Policy. I'm not disputing contractual PAY. I apologize if my post gave that impression. Article 13, Paragraphs C & D are the issue we are discussing the way I see it.
ograc

Reactions: 2 people

thats because it was stripped in the chapter 11 abrogation.

Whenever someone points out a deficiency in an IAM contract you're always quick to say "we were in bankruptcy and had our contact abrogated". Is that the attitude of the IAM leadership to justify substandard contracts? Are these the values that machinists have? USAir was in bankruptcy in seven years ago; they are in section 6 negotiations right now obviously the IAM is not being an effective negotiator. And as Bob has said before the IAM contacts are awful.

Josh

Reactions: 3 people
Actually not. Maybe the LOA was though.

But those interested might try from the 2008 agreement:

Article 12 (E) line 5.

A summary and not a quote:

"Employees must be honest and prevent sick leave abuses. Employees may be required to provide confirmation of illness and the company may require, when in doubt, a doctors excuse. Employees who abuse the sick privileges may be subject to discipline."
Wasn’t aware of that language that would favor the company in a arbitration

Wasn’t aware of that language that would favor the company in a arbitration
The language in the Fleet CBA under Article 13, par. D is very similar. "unnecessary absences or other abuses of sick leave privileges." " ... the company reserves the right to require, when in doubt of a bona fide claim, a physicians certificate to confirm such sick claim. Abuse of sick leave privileges may subject the employee to disciplinary action up to and including termination." Allowing language like this in the CBA leaves too much to interpretation. It allows the company to be judge and jury. Who determines an "unnecessary" absence? The company. Who determines a "bona fide" claim? The company. The language goes one step further... and agrees that "abuse of sick leave privileges" as determined by the company "may subject the employee to disciplinary action up to and including termination." This type of loosely written "gray" or "left to interpretation" language needs to be eliminated from a future CBA. Unfortunately, this type of language is embedded within many articles of the CBA, however this language under Article 13 seems like a good starting point to me. Especially, since it is indeed costing memers' jobs. IMO... it deserves to be in the top five.
ograc

USAir was in bankruptcy in seven years ago; they are in section 6 negotiations right now obviously the IAM is not being an effective negotiator. And as Bob has said before the IAM contacts are awful.

Josh

...And I think that this current contract (should it come to be ratified) will be the real litmus test of how good of team the US workers have in place. When (or if) it's in place, we can compare/contrast it with a pre-BK CBA, and see if it's progressive or regressive. BK's in the rearview mirror, Canale is gone, and so on.

...And I think that this current contract (should it come to be ratified) will be the real litmus test of how good of team the US workers have in place. When (or if) it's in place, we can compare/contrast it with a pre-BK CBA, and see if it's progressive or regressive. BK's in the rearview mirror, Canale is gone, and so on.
Kev3188,
It will indeed. However, in fairness to the current leadership team, they are up against a company who's only interest right now is acquiring or merging with AA. Their campaign platform was Canale's team sold us out and they could do better.They are up against the same company and it's selfish agenda. Time will tell and we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.