AWA International 2

Columbia blue

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
With the recent announcement of Monterrey Mx....I thought I would start another international thread..Costa Rica is next on the list..AWA has petitioned the DOT for the route...to start in Dec. more than likely if approved...Could Belize be next? What aircraft will be used? ...Any other guesses as to where AWA could go from PHX or LAS...YUL??

Looks like SJO is set to go. It appears that service between PHX and SJO is set to begin on December 1, once daily with an A319 aircraft. The flight will leave PHX at 1:00PM and arrive in SJO at 7:15PM. The return trip will leave SJO at 8:40AM and arrive in PHX at 1:12PM. I definitely think this is a good step for America West, as they already have quite a nice presence in Mexico, it seems like Central America is the next logical step.

It seems that AWA is focused on the point to point transcons at this time...Not sure there will be any additions to Central/South America any time soon, or anyway that is the official line from Rio Salado..... <_<
Well see...although another airline message board has a rumor thread linking AWA with SJU (Puerto Rico)....I'm guessing they are mixing it up with SJO..but who knows..

I am very critical of HP from time to time. But I must add that over the past few months, I have been impressed with the strategic moves announced by the carrier. The initiation of Ocean to Ocean service, the addition on Cancun and now Costa Rica, Scott Kirby's pricing change and other positive things, makes me think that some people at HP are FINALLY doing the right things.

Now if we can only get them to start serving HOT meals in First Class on PHX-IAD/DCA/JFK/MCO/MIA flights.

Keep your eye on the ball HP.

Not sure about the food situation on those flights....however I spoke with one of the AWA Tempe mgmt folks recently who said that they were looking at the food situation on the new Costa Rica flts...perhaps they will check out the transcons and long PHX/LAS routes as well.

;) I am not sure where AWA is going to get the plane from for this route. Basically it is 1 r/t that ties up 1 a/c for 24 hours. It goes out at 1300 and returns the following day at 1310. Does this mean that more rj's are going to cover mainline routes? :blink: