AWA MEC Letter to pilots

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
May 08, 2007

Fellow pilots,

This is a busy week for our pilots and I want to update you on several issues.

Seniority Integration:

I had a conference call Sunday morning with ALPA President John Prater and US Airways MEC Chairman Jack Stephan to discuss plans moving forward. Captain Prater emphasized the value in moving forward as a unified group and encouraged both MEC’s to continue to work together towards that goal. Captain Stephan informed me that his MEC intended to meet later that day to begin discussing their options regarding the award. In response to Captain Stephan, I reminded both him and Captain Prater of ALPA’s obligation under merger policy to defend the award. I also emphasized that we can achieve the maximum value for both pilot groups at the bargaining table as we work together to negotiate a joint agreement.

During the call, Captain Prater notified me that he would be addressing the US Airways MEC in closed session later that evening, and that he would be willing to attend the America West MEC meeting scheduled to convene on May 16th. It’s important that both MEC’s be given equal opportunity to address Captain Prater directly in closed session, and we appreciate Captain Prater traveling to Phoenix next week for that purpose. I am aware that many of you have contacted Captain Prater directly to express your frustrations to him with the east MEC. Although Captain Prater enjoys having direct contact with line pilots, everybody should keep in mind when contacting him that it is ALPA’s duty to defend the award, and not to evaluate its fairness.

Prior to boarding my flight to DC this morning, I was able to spend some time in the crew lounge speaking with some of you. I understand everybody’s frustration about the East MEC ’s announced plans, however, I ask all of you to please seriously consider the following points:

At present, the US Airways MEC has only announced plans to examine their options and has not actually taken action to challenge the award.

The entire seniority issue, including defense of the award, has always been and will always be the task of the Merger Committees and merger counsel.

Nothing good can come from engaging in heated debate with the US Airways pilots about the award.

The MECs should not go to war over this issue, and the status quo of keeping seniority issues separate from everything else should remain.

Our Merger Committee and merger attorney are fully prepared to defend the award, if necessary.

Contract Negotiations:

I am currently in Washington DC with the JNC to receive the “Kirby Proposal.†Following the company’s presentation, we anticipate evaluating their offer with the JNC and updating the pilots as to its merits and shortfalls.

Safety:

With the current level of distractions that exist, we are extremely vulnerable for comprises to flight safety. Please remain vigilant in your duties.

Fraternally,

Mitch Vasin
AWA MEC Vice-Chairman

USA320Pilot comments:

Mitch has 3 years of active AWA service, he has flown about 1,500 hours of major airline service, and he is relatively inexperienced in the cockpit. Meanwhile, the Nicolau Award gave him gave him a senioity number of 4,367 that placed him between two 19-year US Airways East pilots with 2,000 pilots below him in seniority. If this is not an injustice I do not know what is. As far as I am concerned Vasin can go "pound sand".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

May 08, 2007

USA320Pilot comments:

Mitch has 3 years of active AWA service, he has flown about 1,500 hours of major airline service, and he is relatively inexperienced in the cockpit. Meanwhile, the Nicolau Award gave him gave him a senioity number of 4,367 that placed him between two 19-year US Airways East pilots with 2,000 pilots below him in seniority. If this is not an injustice I do not know what is. As far as I am concerned Vasin can go "pound sand".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

And the point is?

At least he could get elected.

Reactions: 1 person
"IF" 70 % of profits for the company is in the EAST ops--with our pilot contract cost advantage----just operate separately and forget those junior pukes.

I have not seen a single post that explains the West position at all...I'm sure someone understands it here or is this just mostly an east employee board? Or is there a thread that I've just missed?

USA320Pilot comments:

Regards,

USA320Pilot

"Pound sand"? How very "80's".

USA320Pilot comments:

Regards,

USA320Pilot

While I understand your frustration with the award, insinuating Vasin's lesser experience somehow makes him less qualified is a desperate attempt to unjustly discredit him. Seniority is not awarded based on who is the most competent. If it was, there would be a great number of captains out of a job.
I found his message to be plain, unemotional and factual. Yours on the other hand, is a different story.
I also find it entertaining that you now preach about a necessary solidarity similar to the one displayed by the Delta pilots during the USAirways failed takeover attempt. The very solidarity you mocked and threatened would be the downfall of the Delta pilot group if they didn't fall into line.
You are a vacillating hypocrite.

Funny how you never told Siegel and Lakefield or Glass to pound sound.

And like another poster said, at least he can get elected, can you say the same?

May 08, 2007
May 08, 2007

Fellow pilots,

Seniority Integration:

>>>… Captain Stephan informed me that his MEC intended to meet later that day to begin discussing their options regarding the award. In response to Captain Stephan, I reminded both him and Captain Prater of ALPA’s obligation under merger policy to defend the award. I also emphasized that we can achieve the maximum value for both pilot groups at the bargaining table as we work together to negotiate a joint agreement.

>>>…Although Captain Prater enjoys having direct contact with line pilots, everybody should keep in mind when contacting him that it is ALPA’s duty to defend the award, and not to evaluate its fairness.
…<<<

>>>…Our Merger Committee and merger attorney are fully prepared to defend the award, if necessary. …<<<

Fraternally,

Mitch Vasin
AWA MEC Vice-Chairman

Vasin's letter actually speaks volumes...they themselves know that the arbitraitors decision is flawed and not even close to being acceptable. Hey, but when the windfall benefits the West side, who are they to dispute it?

The next time someone from AW reminds our East MEC that we need to work together to do what's right and get on with the business of merging the airlines, or we’ll sue you, remind them of their responsibility to do what's right and help dispute the most egregious award in ALPA merger policy history.

Every ALPA merger from this point on will be gauged by the new precedent. How may airlines will voluntarily accept ALPA Merger Policy as the bar to achieve a fair and equitable outcome?

TP

May 08, 2007

Fellow pilots,

Seniority Integration:

I had a conference call Sunday morning with ALPA President John Prater and US Airways MEC Chairman Jack Stephan to discuss plans moving forward. Captain Prater emphasized the value in moving forward as a unified group and encouraged both MEC’s to continue to work together towards that goal. Captain Stephan informed me that his MEC intended to meet later that day to begin discussing their options regarding the award. In response to Captain Stephan, I reminded both him and Captain Prater of ALPA’s obligation under merger policy to defend the award. I also emphasized that we can achieve the maximum value for both pilot groups at the bargaining table as we work together to negotiate a joint agreement.

During the call, Captain Prater notified me that he would be addressing the US Airways MEC in closed session later that evening, and that he would be willing to attend the America West MEC meeting scheduled to convene on May 16th. It’s important that both MEC’s be given equal opportunity to address Captain Prater directly in closed session, and we appreciate Captain Prater traveling to Phoenix next week for that purpose. I am aware that many of you have contacted Captain Prater directly to express your frustrations to him with the east MEC. Although Captain Prater enjoys having direct contact with line pilots, everybody should keep in mind when contacting him that it is ALPA’s duty to defend the award, and not to evaluate its fairness.

Prior to boarding my flight to DC this morning, I was able to spend some time in the crew lounge speaking with some of you. I understand everybody’s frustration about the East MEC ’s announced plans, however, I ask all of you to please seriously consider the following points:

At present, the US Airways MEC has only announced plans to examine their options and has not actually taken action to challenge the award.

The entire seniority issue, including defense of the award, has always been and will always be the task of the Merger Committees and merger counsel.

Nothing good can come from engaging in heated debate with the US Airways pilots about the award.

The MECs should not go to war over this issue, and the status quo of keeping seniority issues separate from everything else should remain.

Our Merger Committee and merger attorney are fully prepared to defend the award, if necessary.

Contract Negotiations:

I am currently in Washington DC with the JNC to receive the “Kirby Proposal.†Following the company’s presentation, we anticipate evaluating their offer with the JNC and updating the pilots as to its merits and shortfalls.

Safety:

With the current level of distractions that exist, we are extremely vulnerable for comprises to flight safety. Please remain vigilant in your duties.

Fraternally,

Mitch Vasin
AWA MEC Vice-Chairman

USA320Pilot comments:

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Med check,Chipster. Might want to increase the dosage! ;)

You are a vacillating hypocrite.

BINGO!

This particular captain is known for his "morals" swaying in the wind depending on what position benefits him personally. He is the biggest hypocrite you will ever encounter and it is a known fact that he not well liked or respected by his own peers.

Vasin's letter actually speaks volumes...they themselves know that the arbitraitors decision is flawed and not even close to being acceptable.
When one projects one's own feelings on another the psychological term is "displacement". The MEC letter does not state what you think (hope, want to believe) it does.

Vasin's letter actually speaks volumes...they themselves know that the arbitraitors decision is flawed and not even close to being acceptable. Hey, but when the windfall benefits the West side, who are they to dispute it?

What a crock of $h!t.

The west pilots see this not as a windfall, but the only reasonable outcome when dealing with a self-righteous group like the east pilots. They want it defended because they know that the alternative if the east gets what they want, THEN would be the biggest travesty in airline merger history.

Every ALPA merger from this point on will be gauged by the new precedent. How may airlines will voluntarily accept ALPA Merger Policy as the bar to achieve a fair and equitable outcome?

To answer your question... Just about ALL of them. Everyone knows that there was a seriously abnormal seniority situation at US East. Do you think a merger with DAL or UAL would have resulted in pilots saying, "sure, here's your DOH and have all our senior flying positions while you're at it." ???? NOT!

You East guys are sorely mistaken if you think other pilots will support what you're trying to do the West pilots. We all know that future consolidation is a high probability. And the way you guys are acting right now pretty much guarantees that any future consolidation will exclude any form of USAir. This is the EXACT fear UAL pilots had about you guys in 2000, and Delta pilots feared in 2007, and EXACTLY what we warned AWA pilots about when your merger was announced.

If you want to dump ALPA, please do so. It will only ensure that in the unfortunate event that there is a future merger with you guys, you will be stapled ala American/TWA. Believe me, no one will forget all the bravado about "East outnumbers West and we can force whatever we want on everyone else," and such nonsense. Just remember THAT when you are facing an integration with 7000-8000 DAL or UAL pilots. Your actions now are solidifying what everyone has always thought about your group. And in the future there will be no mercy and no reasoning no matter how much you cry about it.

What a crock of $h!t.

The west pilots see this not as a windfall, but the only reasonable outcome when dealing with a self-righteous group like the east pilots. They want it defended because they know that the alternative if the east gets what they want, THEN would be the biggest travesty in airline merger history.
To answer your question... Just about ALL of them. Everyone knows that there was a seriously abnormal seniority situation at US East. Do you think a merger with DAL or UAL would have resulted in pilots saying, "sure, here's your DOH and have all our senior flying positions while you're at it." ???? NOT!

You East guys are sorely mistaken if you think other pilots will support what you're trying to do the West pilots. We all know that future consolidation is a high probability. And the way you guys are acting right now pretty much guarantees that any future consolidation will exclude any form of USAir. This is the EXACT fear UAL pilots had about you guys in 2000, and Delta pilots feared in 2007, and EXACTLY what we warned AWA pilots about when your merger was announced.

If you want to dump ALPA, please do so. It will only ensure that in the unfortunate event that there is a future merger with you guys, you will be stapled ala American/TWA. Believe me, no one will forget all the bravado about "East outnumbers West and we can force whatever we want on everyone else," and such nonsense. Just remember THAT when you are facing an integration with 7000-8000 DAL or UAL pilots. Your actions now are solidifying what everyone has always thought about your group. And in the future there will be no mercy and no reasoning no matter how much you cry about it.

Jetz, you and all DAL and NWA pilots can take a deep breath of relief in that the IED known as the East seniority list is now legally defused. Plus, if you look at condition 4 in the Conditions and Restrictions, then all of your widebody flying would occupy the top part of the list. Although this was a fair award for the West pilots, it's an awesome award for UAL, DAL, or NWA becaues it heavily favors international flying.