Back To Work!

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Update as promised. I finally have returned home. Now I am frantically packing to return to my new base at LGA. I must say I am extremely excited and thankful to be back to work. However, a word of advice to my fellow colleagues still on furlough and eagerly awaiting thier recall. Don't go back expecting this company to give you anything to helpo you through this transition at all.
Although, I thank the lord for my job back, the refresher course held at DFW had to be the most disorganized thrown together mess I have ever seen. It was quite obvious that they were not ready, nor expecting our return. Today being July 1st , which is our report date to our new base, we were all given an Availibility schedule. Those that understand exactly know what this type of schedule is can understand what we are currently going through. However, to date, we still have no access to the flight service website which also gives us access to plotting trips via sabre. Thus, those of us scheduled for the next few days to fly have no idea what we will be doing and when it will be happening. Also, AA actually thinks we are all going to move to New York. I know quite a few who will be commuting from LAX. I actually felt like, and was treated, as if I was a new hire flight attendant. Give me a break! Well now not sure what I am expected to do for the next few days I am trying to gain the strength and funds together to put myself up in NYC so I can get acclimated to my new way of life.
Again, thanks to all who have supported me and to those on furlough hang in there. You will be back soon without a doubt. Just make sure you can make last minute arrangements to return back to the line.

Peace to all.

What Unity?

Complaining already? You who would accept working under any conditions?!!! Oh my! Welcome back........

i came back in december from furlough and it was the same thing. but we have all gone through this. it was only a few years ago that they gave new hires reporting to base for the first time absolutely nothing! at least we in 2000 were given 4 days in a hotel. it will be okay. i know that ops at lga and kennedy will be a zoo once again. that first month in december we were all on reserve and ops was like a cheap motel. i just now am able to save up enough to get a place in nyc. we are all tough people and are very capable of making it. plus. lax is a great commute. my best friend commuted from there without a crashpad. i feel sorry for those more obscure commuters; des moines and a few places in texas. those guys/gals will have a hell of a time. also, we didn't have a computer for the first year that we started in our household. we did that call in at 5am and plot a trip crap. it isn't hard. you will get back into the swing of things. just one thing. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. in december i had strep twice and thought i was going to die of all the stress. but that was the holidays and it was very cold outside. welcome back all.

I flew TWA-LLC for almost 1 year. When I "crossed-over", AA treated me like a new-hire. QI's to boot. No choice of mine.

Coop

First, Flyboy...I'm glad you are on your back to the job you love, I wish you many happy years of it.

Second, Coop...you and I must have dealt with different people. After 36 years with TWA, I was wary, however I believe I was treated with respect by AA InFlight. The first EPT (AER) was so simple, I commented to Beth that they had made sure none of us failed it. She told me that since we had been through so much stress in the past year, they wanted to ease our way into the new system. They told us straight up that they knew we were experienced, mature people, and treated us accordingly, well, me anyway.

Third, I'll not be returning. Many other changes in my life, my age, and the horror of commuting just add up to it not being worthwhile. Not to mention the anticipation of just how welcome I would be. I have great memories of flying in the golden age, I'd like to keep them as sweet as they are.

I wish you, Flyboy and all other recalls, present and future, the very best.

ozcobber,

What happened was we had expired qualifications on the AA certificate when we "crossed over" from the TWA certificate.

AA made us attend a 4 hour class that was meant for people who had been on overage leaves.

We hadn't gone anywhere! We're were just flying the TWA certificate.

Also, the QIs (Quals Invalid) should have been removed from our attendance. AA would not let us go to AA EPTs the last month we were flying the TWA certificate. They did not want to be undermanned for the TWA side.

Does that make sense?

It's a darn shame you won't be returning because OZARK rules! I've met some great Ozark guys in STL and they always let you know it right off the bat.

Flyboy4u, Congratulations! Let's hope many more return!

Since this recall came out of left-field, I hope there will be another recall around November/December.

I haven't heard anything on the line of that nature but I hope it happens.

My speculation is from Overage Leave fallout and possible retirements post 777 awards.

Let's hope,

Coop

A few questions please.

How many Flight Attendants were furloughed?

How many have been called back?

How many are there in total?

Thanks.

Bob Owens said:
A few questions please.

How many Flight Attendants were furloughed?

How many have been called back?

How many are there in total?

Thanks.
1. There were several rounds of furloughs between 11SEP01 and 02JUL03. After the last furlough last July there were a total of almost 6000 flight attendants furloughed--most of them former TWA f/as.

2. There have been 623 recalled--390 recalled 01DEC03 and 233 recalled 01JUL04. Not all accepted recall. In this last recall almost 25% of the recalled f/as chose not to return to AA. The company does not usually call additional furloughees to make up the difference.

3. Hard to say. Basic math would tell you that there are approximately 5300 left on the furlough list. However, some of the former TWA flight attendants have retired. Still waiting to see an updated seniority list. The computer runs the annual seniority update in June. The updated list has not been posted to the union website yet.