Bankruptcy Court Rules to Abrogate Flight Attendants Agreement

awayfrmitall

Jan 27, 2004

Northwest Airlines received a bankruptcy court judgment today providing 14 days to reach an agreement with PFAA. If a new agreement cannot be reached, Northwest Airlines will be authorized to institute the March 1 Agreement (TA).

Despite this ruling, by law the company must continue to bargain in good faith in order to reach a new, consensual agreement. Your Negotiations Team and PFAA leadership will continue to work off of the TA rather than the punitive terms that NWA management threatened.

PFAA's focus continues to be to reach a deal that addresses the issues that you told us were most critical to our members.

As these events unfold, we are taking all actions and precautions to protect our careers and our future. Stay involved, stay informed and be ready to act when called upon.

To review PFAA's press release regarding today's ruling, visit the Press Room of pfaa.com: http://www.pfaa.com/News/Press/PR/062906.asp

In closing, please wear your PFAA union pins, keep our furloughed brothers and sisters in your thoughts, fly safe and remember to demand and not decline union representation!

PFAA Mission: Through democracy, negotiate and enforce the Flight Attendants' Agreement.
PFAA Vision: Secure the well-being and future for the members of PFAA through active involvement.

A view from the other side:

AFA-CWA OPTIMISTIC DESPITE COURT'S DECISION TO
ABROGATE NORTHWEST FLIGHT ATTENDANTS CONTRACT

Washington, DC - A federal bankruptcy judge today granted Northwest Airlines the right to abrogate the contract of their over 9,300 flight attendants. However, the court instituted a 14-day stay on the decision so that both parties can continue to negotiate. If no agreement is reached, the company can impose only those terms and conditions listed in the tentative agreement that failed last month. In addition, the court stated that "all concerned would be well-served if the flight attendants and the Debtors could resolve their disputes through continued negotiation ... the Court is therefore requiring the parties to make one last effort to reach a ratifiable agreement."

"This ruling underscores why the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) election at Northwest is so important," said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. "Now more than ever, it is imperative that Northwest flight attendants have the experience and resources of AFA-CWA behind them to ensure that they prevail through this difficult period."

Flight attendants at Northwest Airlines are currently voting in a representation election that would allow AFA-CWA to serve as their bargaining representative instead of the Professional Flight Attendants Association, an independent organization. Voting in this election will end on July 6. AFA-CWA has already committed the resources necessary to begin negotiating a flight attendant contract with the company as early as July 7.

AFA-CWA has extensive experience in avoiding 1113© motions at other carriers. Last month, AFA-CWA was instrumental in a ruling that rejected the motion at Northwest Airlink's Mesaba Airlines and sent management back to the negotiating table.

For over 60 years, the Association of Flight Attendants has been serving as the voice for flight attendants in the workplace, in the aviation industry, in the media and on Capitol Hill. More than 46,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines come together to form AFA-CWA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000-member strong Communications Workers of America (CWA), AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.afanet.org

What's that noise I hear? Could it be? Ah yes, it is, I recognize it now. It is the sound of 9000 people flushing their company ID's down the lav's and telling Sue Boda to shove this sad excuse of a once great airline up the ol wazoo. At least it'll be fun to watch all the managers given the 4 day quickie training trying to fly the schedule before it all collapses.

To the F/A's - I hope that you all have been planning for this to happen. While the judge provided you a 14 day stay of execution (so to speak), don't expect NW to rush back to the negotiating table to try and get a deal done.

Now we'll see if Doug Steenland's promise of a new "warm and fuzzy" Northwest takes effect; I for one say that it was all a line of bull :censored:.

I'm betting that I'll have some company on the picket lines by July 14th...

There will be an 11th hour settlement, just like always happens. Everybody knows that the serious negotiating doesn't really begin until both sides are up against a solid deadline. I'm sure a new T/A will appear in the next 14 days.

There will be an 11th hour settlement, just like always happens. Everybody knows that the serious negotiating doesn't really begin until both sides are up against a solid deadline. I'm sure a new T/A will appear in the next 14 days.

The PFAA and NW are so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar apart on an agreement, it probably will not happen. One of my good friends is a f/a for NW and he thinks they're headed to the picket line. I looked at the TA and it has to be the worst agreement, I have ever seen.

Is this DeJavu? This sure looks like Eastern all over again.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU F/As! You all ar ein my thoughts andprayers as you battle that seemingless endless cancer that wont seem to quite back off!

If Doug was truly confident that the POR would result in a growing prosperous NWA, putting his bonus in play should be a no-brainer.

BINGO. The Execs want the employees to bear the brunt of the pain and they want to quickly maximize their income. This has been happening at all the bankrupt airlines and it is totally unfair to labor while rewarding the execs who are getting bonuses on their ability to guide the corporation through bankruptcy.

If it were me, I would be telling the company that they are hereby notified that the union will take any and all actions consistent with their best interests, including strike, commencing at any point 15 days from today. Since it is likely the execs aren't going to be working much until Wednesday, it effectively cuts down on their ability to prepare for the strike.

Best wishes to the FA's.

No flight attendants = no flights

Its to bad the non union scab mechanics wont back you up.
Maybe you flight attendants will put those scab mechanics out of a job ;)

Give em hell because they will be back for more and more and more...

PFAA Mission: Through democracy, negotiate and enforce the Flight Attendants' Agreement.
PFAA Vision: Secure the well-being and future for the members of PFAA through active involvement.

Look at the title...now look at the Mission...see the difference. You are now operating outside of any democratic control. Bankruptcy court now has complete control of any contract you have or will put into place. Even if by some miracle you come to an agreement with nwa you still need it to be approved by the judge. That is NOT democracy. nwa is purposely stringing you'all along so they can keep operating. Any action short of walking out and establishing a picket line (yea a STRIKE) is a concession! See the Vision? well-being and future...you F/As agree to the nwa concessions and what do you have? Twice the work for half the pay. Some future.

Latest posts