Benefits Question

FWAAA said:
:shock:

That's an unbelievable tale of mistreatment.   But don't get me wrong; I believe you.

I honestly can't tell which entity has screwed you guys more - the TWU or AMR.  Close call, IMO.  

At least AA doesn't make you shop at the company store like the TWU does.

[post="309655"][/post]​

Well actually they do. We get "benifit dollars" and we can only use them "at the company store". Even if our spouse works and has a superior plan we have to buy the minimum company plan.

What the hell got into the heads of the mechanics in the 1940s (or whenever the TWU was voted in)?!? Did the TWU provide local leaders with hookers, booze and bags of cash? Whatever it was, it is shameful.

In all fairness the TWU was a different animal back then. They actually had idealistic leaders, many of whom were from the IRA. So these guys knew how to fight and how to organize. They used the same organizational tactics that they had in the IRA and were able to organize despite the tactics of management. Unfortunately they put in a system that promotes degenerative leadership. While the initial leadership was competant they surrounded themselves with less competant funtionaries, and the cycle continued that way to the present day. TWU leaders do this so they are not threatened. So each generation of TWU leaders becomes less competant than the one before. They get to the top by sucking up, look at OBrien. He could never have won an election if the members got to vote.

WW I did not see your post until after I already posted this one, good summation.

fix_airplanes said:
Has not the TWU Life Insurance also become overpriced?
[post="309730"][/post]​

Yes it is but at least you still have the option of purchasing the company plan.

According to a supervisor, his medical (POS) contribution has increased by only $10.00/m.
How much was your increase?
Please state your work group, plan and increase.

limit said:
According to a supervisor, his medical (POS) contribution has increased by only $10.00/m.
How much was your increase?
Please state your work group, plan and increase.
[post="310090"][/post]​

TWU - POS...EE+ 1 monthly rate

2006 --- 2005
$ 99.54 ---- $ 73.30
:down: :down:

Wretched Wrench said:
No, it wasn't anything like that.
The TWU under Mike Quill did such a good job for the New York transit workers that the aircraft mechs thought it was a good move. PAA went first, and gained a 40 hour week. The move was neither good nor bad for AA mechs, as all the major airlines paid about the same in those days.  Quill was a feisty little Irishman of very high ideals, and kept the TWU focussed and honest. Quill died in 66 or 67, and the fat cats slowly began to gain control of the TWU. In my own experience, the TWU started slipping in the late 70's and early 80's, with almost complete capitulation in 84.

The TWU has gone the way of many mature organizations in losing sight of the original objective and choosing to focus on the organization itself and individual power........And revenue. If you look around, there are others, as well.

[post="309720"][/post]​

When you think about the late 70's early 80's time frame, something else comes to mind that really matters.

TWU could succeed in representing mechanics as long as the industry was regulated by the Government.

As soon as deregulation was passed, the TWU began to lead the industry in concessions for jobs, and the rest is history.

TWU informer said:
When you think about the late 70's early 80's time frame, something else comes to mind that really matters.

TWU could succeed in representing mechanics as long as the industry was regulated by the Government.

As soon as deregulation was passed, the TWU began to lead the industry in concessions for jobs, and the rest is history.
[post="310124"][/post]​

Deregulation certainly matters, but I am not sure it was the root cause of the TWU's abject capitulation to AA and the granting of concessions on demand. Certainly, all other airlines were equally subject to deregulation, yet the TWU led the industry in concessions. It is too easy to consider correlation and causation one and the same.