Black Friday

smmech

Advanced
Nov 5, 2005
Just wanted to post a thread on experiences related to Black Friday.

Dec 2 1995 AWA layed off the majority of there aircraft maintenance personel.

My experience is limited as I was not employed by AWA at the time. But I was going back to school to get my powerplant liscence, and black friday happened my last symester. Kind of a bummer to me as I had thought that AWA would have been a great place to work once I got done.
Most of my instructors were AWA tech's and I thought " Man I will never work for that F'n company".
15 years in the buisness and this is the closest I have ever come to being layed off.... Not bad. Mostly cause I see when things are getting bad and bail quick....

Know I'm married with a kid and bailing would be more difficult but the time is close and I am not scared at all.

I WAS HERE :rant: CALL TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A JOB. And The LAST Words The Company said YOU DO NOT NEED A UNION WE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU! HIDE THE LOVE LUB AND VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND BOYS AND GIRLS OR YOU TO CAN BE A BRASS TUBA ALSO. :eek:

I WAS HERE :rant: CALL TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A JOB. And The LAST Words The Company said YOU DO NOT NEED A UNION WE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU! HIDE THE LOVE LUB AND VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND BOYS AND GIRLS OR YOU TO CAN BE A BRASS TUBA ALSO. :eek:
Vent brother ... vent.. :up:

Managment went throught 6 heavy maintenance facilities that I know of ( I worked at one of them) before they settled on Timco. Ya big savings! And we all know the quality of Timcos work. Christ Lake City lost there Repair station license over the crap they were putting out.

Get ready for the fleet heavy maintenance to be farmed IAM or no IAM its goin out. :( . AWA/LCC/USAirways current managment team does not want to be in the Aircraft Maintenance buisness.. Franke started it and Dougs seein it through.. :blink:

IBT causes decertification at NEW YOU??

"historically furloughed employees don't vote", that is the case for the IAM as said by an IAM member.

The Teamsters vote when given the opportunity. No matter what their situation is.

The only cause for decertification will be that the IAM has allowed its members to become so frustrated with the IAM that they just give up and don't vote. :)

The only cause for decertification will be that the IAM has allowed its members to become so frustrated with the IAM that they just give up and don't vote. :)
[/quote]

Now your catching on Gonzo.. decertification is a possibility and not just a so called scare tactic. For an example when AMFA tries to take over representation I believe they won't have the election unless they have at least 55 -60% cards in. I think if the IBT is having a hard time getting 35% that it is all for naught...But I don't blame you guys for trying. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving....

AWA/LCC/USAirways current managment team does not want to be in the Aircraft Maintenance buisness.. Franke started it and Dougs seein it through.. :blink:
[/quote]

I don't think any airline managment wants to be in the MX bussiness? Does any major do 100% heavy MX in house? Or even any of the small fries? There is bound to be somebody but I don't know of one.

Now your catching on Gonzo.. decertification is a possibility and not just a so called scare tactic. For an example when AMFA tries to take over representation I believe they won't have the election unless they have at least 55 -60% cards in. I think if the IBT is having a hard time getting 35% that it is all for naught...But I don't blame you guys for trying. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving....

Yes.....it is a scare tactic. Any union is better than no union, but the IBT is better than the IAM.

I am certain that anytime now one of the IAM "people" will step up and say that the IBT allows outsourcing. It does not allow outsourcing. There has been no outsourcing since the IBT has been at AWA.

I did have a good Thanksgiving, thank you. :)

Does any major do 100% heavy MX in house?

American probably comes the closest at this point in time. I don't know if they do 100%, but it's close. Interestingly, they also have one of the lowest CASMs of the legacy carriers - 7.4 cents ex-fuel in the 3rd quarter. For reference, Continental was 7.05, US East was 8.04 (both ex-fuel).

AWA/LCC/USAirways current managment team does not want to be in the Aircraft Maintenance buisness.. Franke started it and Dougs seein it through.. :blink:
I don't think any airline managment wants to be in the MX bussiness? Does any major do 100% heavy MX in house? Or even any of the small fries? There is bound to be somebody but I don't know of one.
AA does 80%, and they would do more according to there execs.

Latest posts