Bos Delays Today

DOODY

Jan 22, 2003
I've never seen anything like this before.....

Due to WEATHER, SNOW REMOVAL. and AT US AIRWAYS REQUEST, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Anybody else?

Well, I'm in Boston and I have to say that right now the weather is awful. The most recent METAR:

SPECI KBOS 090204Z 31028G39KT 1/4SM R04R/2800V5500FT +SN FZFG VV002 M08/M11 A2890

To translate, 1/4 mi vis, vertical vis 200', NW winds at ~32 mph gusting to 45 mph, heavy snow & freezing fog, pressure 28.90 in Hg.

With heavy wind out of the NW, Logan is down to one runway (31L) if Massport can keep it open. It looks like Delta cancelled everything in and out of Boston after 5 PM or so. JetBlue cancelled at least one MCO-BOS and one TPA-BOS flight and the afternoon/evening FLL-BOS and RSW-BOS flights are delayed. Everything on B6 departing after 5 or 6 PM cancelled.

The weather went you-know-where in a handbasket here.

I don't believe this, but someone's bound to say it, so I'll get it out of the way:

US probably requested it so they'd have a legitimate reason for late flights.

Most recent update from FAA:

Due to SNOW, the General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport (BOS) was closed as of Mar 08 at 09:00 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Mar 09 at 03:00 AM EST.

I've seen this notation before in the FAA info. It is delays requested by a certain carrier for their flights only. US isnt going to get everyone else delayed just because they asked for it. :rolleyes:
I've seen it in CLE on CO EXP flights due to ramp congestion and also in ATL before due to ramp congestion for DL flights.
Hopefully with the weather going down as quick as it did, we did what was needed to get tomorrow back on track as quickly as possible.

Just checked the website again and it looks like BOS is closed now until tomorrow
AIRPORT CLOSURES

ARPT TIME REASON REOPEN
BOS 03090200 SNOW 03090800

:shock: I heard that until USAirways cleans up their latest snowjob of the DOT and flying public that all runways are shut down to them.

I was supposed to fly the FLL/BOS nonstop last night and heard the forecast for bad weather early in the day. I called US three times during the day to see if US had made any information on possible delays or cancellations available. Up until 5 PM, US was still saying everything would be on time and to show up at FLL for my flight at 7 PM. This was after I'd heard from someone else flying to New England in the afternoon that some flights had already been cancelled. Finally, on my last call to US, I got a great person that understood my concern, and rebooked me for a next day flight. She saved me having to show up and wait three hours for a flight that ended up being cancelled. Even after departure time, the US website was still showing the flight as on time. At some point the flight was finally cancelled. I noticed that the online comments on this flight said that it was cancelled because of weather moving through FLL. I am in FLL, and the weather at the time of the flight was just fine, quite pleasant in fact. Several other US flights to other destinations went out just a bit late. I also noticed that a PHL/BOS for around 10 PM was cancelled and the comment said it was because of weather moving through PHL. I'm guessing my flight and the other were cancelled because of weather moving through BOS, not FLL or PHL. I don't understand why it is so hard to get accurate information on the website. One of the customer commitments is to give accurate information regarding delays and cancellations when possible....

mbmbbost said:
I was supposed to fly the FLL/BOS nonstop last night and heard the forecast for bad weather early in the day. I called US three times during the day to see if US had made any information on possible delays or cancellations available. Up until 5 PM, US was still saying everything would be on time and to show up at FLL for my flight at 7 PM. This was after I'd heard from someone else flying to New England in the afternoon that some flights had already been cancelled. Finally, on my last call to US, I got a great person that understood my concern, and rebooked me for a next day flight. She saved me having to show up and wait three hours for a flight that ended up being cancelled. Even after departure time, the US website was still showing the flight as on time. At some point the flight was finally cancelled. I noticed that the online comments on this flight said that it was cancelled because of weather moving through FLL. I am in FLL, and the weather at the time of the flight was just fine, quite pleasant in fact. Several other US flights to other destinations went out just a bit late. I also noticed that a PHL/BOS for around 10 PM was cancelled and the comment said it was because of weather moving through PHL. I'm guessing my flight and the other were cancelled because of weather moving through BOS, not FLL or PHL. I don't understand why it is so hard to get accurate information on the website. One of the customer commitments is to give accurate information regarding delays and cancellations when possible....
[post="253771"][/post]​

That is exactly just the kind of crap that I hate. MX you know will surprise you but in the middle of a damn snowstorm it's pretty bad when US waits this late to cancel flights. I wonder if the folks on the phone get into trouble based on the bad information that's in the computer for what they did for you.

Hey, I'm one of those folks on the phone...Why in the he!! would you expect us to get into trouble for quoting the info that has been provided to us by our company and our dispatchers?

AC/CF said:
Hey, I'm one of those folks on the phone...Why in the he!! would you expect us to get into trouble for quoting the info that has been provided to us by our company and our dispatchers?
[post="253780"][/post]​
I think the point was that maybe the agent could get into trouble for changing my flight, when the bad information from the company didn't support it. It of course turned out to have been the correct thing to do, but perhaps that doesn't always make a difference.

I know that in bad weather US waits so long to cancel flights that other carriers cancel theirs first and rebook their pax on US. Now when our flights finally cancel we are responsible for the other carriers pax!
Happens every storm!

Crushed -

You can blame the Executive VP of Customer (Dis) Service and Operations. He is the one that ultimately authorizes the flight reductions with impending weather events.

Mbmbbost -

First, our apologies for the inaccurate information. There is no excuse for not providing accurate and timely information, especially when it comes to the accurate cancellation codes / information.

Second - regarding the status of your original flight from FLL to BOS. At the time that you called, the airline was making every attempt to operate your flight. My guess would be that until the airport completely closed, we were going to do everything we could to operated the flight as long as it was safe to do so. I am sure that BOS was operating with a ground delay program or several ground stops due to demand and capacity issues. When the airport finally closed at 9pm, the flight had to cancel.

Just a note....

AMR had 2 trans-atlantic flights bound to JFK (767's) divert to ORF and a trans-atlantic bound to BOS (777) divert to SYR Tuesday afternoon. Those are the planes I actually saw - don't know how many other inbound flights diverted.

Jim

mbmbbost said:
....One of the customer commitments is to give accurate information regarding delays and cancellations when possible....
[post="253771"][/post]​

Heck, if I could figure a way to collect all of USAir commitments and figure a way to put those commitments on a cardboard roll, I could make a killing putting toilet paper companies out of business! :lol:

Phoenix said:
Heck, if I could figure a way to collect all of USAir commitments and figure a way to put those commitments on a cardboard roll, I could make a killing putting toilet paper companies out of business! :lol:
[post="254122"][/post]​
:up: I was thinking that as I wrote my post...it all seems pretty silly to complain about in the scheme of things. But the fact that everybody but US was aware of predicted "extreme" weather conditions twelve hours ahead of time is hard to fathom. I feel bad for the agents that aren't even given good enough information so they can deal reasonably or intelligently with customers on the phone or in the airport.