Welcome To Phl

Due to WEATHER, TSTMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). Due to ENRTE TSTMS, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 31 minutes and 45 minutes in length and increasing.

Mind you, it's not even raining, just cloudy.

"I just talked to my Aunt Gertrude and she said it's sunny in Philadelphia.."

It may be sunny, or cloudy in PHL, but a look at the radar shows significant weather to the west, blocking off the MXE and PTW departures, and the BUNTS arrivals.

God just misconnected, though, because the folks at Mesa did not wait on the weather and/or arriving pax to push. A problem that LUV probably does not have.

ClueByFour said:
God just misconnected, though, because the folks at Mesa did not wait on the weather and/or arriving pax to push. A problem that LUV probably does not have.
Mesa is told to wait for pax or go on time buy Airways. You guys kill me. We leave on time and it is still our fault. Give me a break! -Cape

Does anybody have any stats on the flights out of or into PHL on LUV ....I know there flights were full.. I was wondering they faired with the weather....

Doc said:
Does anybody have any stats on the flights out of or into PHL on LUV ....I know there flights were full.. I was wondering they faired with the weather....
Flight 1165 PHL-MDW appears to have diverted to CLE.
Flight 1233 PHL-PVD sched arrival 6:20, actual arrival 6:36.
Flight 2294 PHL-PVD sched arrival 8:50, estimated arrival 10:48.
Flight 1233 MDW-PHL sched arrival 4:50, actual arrival 5:15.
Flight 879 MDW-PHL sched arrival 10:35, estimated arrival 11:59.
Flight 628 MCO-PHL sched arrival 10:25, estimated arrival 11:08.
Flight 2075 PHX-PHL sched arrival 10:45, estimated arrival 11:34.

7 flights out of 26 delayed.

Capecod said:
Mesa is told to wait for pax or go on time buy Airways. You guys kill me. We leave on time and it is still our fault. Give me a break! -Cape
I could have said PSA, AGT, Transstates. I'm not picking on Mesa per se, I'm pointing out that weather impacts every airline in different ways.

Actually Southworst only has 14 flights until June, when they add another 14. So 1/2 of their flights were delayed today. Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love!

PS Their PHL station manager is an ex-PSA/Airways employee.

PHLLAX:

I have to take exception with your characterization that half of WN's PHL flights yesterday ran late.

Yesterday, they had 13 flights (one PVD was not scheduled for Sundays).

That is 13 operations in and 13 operations out, a total of 26.

Of those 19 were either on time or within 15 mins. (Actually the only one late that was within :15 was :03 late...which according to DOT standards would count as on time).

Despite the lack of ACARS I went ahead and counted the :16 min delay as late.

19/26 = 73% Not good, but considering how the midwest got body slammed and in looking at the PHL arrival/departure board on line, not bad under the circumstances.

Last time I checked 73% was somewhat better than "half".

Just wait till winter hits.

Point being, everyone is "equal" when it comes to PHL and the weather. Mother Nature doesn't play favorites, and doesn't care that SW has low fares. Nope, not one bit.

Bear96 said:
Anyone have the numbers for U's PHL operation yesterday for comparison?
I don't know anything, but I flew PHL-RIC yesterday around 2000 and was something like 30 minutes early.

PITbull said:
Just wait till winter hits.

Point being, everyone is "equal" when it comes to PHL and the weather. Mother Nature doesn't play favorites, and doesn't care that SW has low fares. Nope, not one bit.
While I suppose that it's nice to have a level playing field that isn't exactly encouraging. You need to tilt the field to your advantage and play to your strengths. Sitting back and waiting for LUV to fail isn't likely to work.

When winter hits and bad things happen go over to LUV's gates and look around. Their customers will be smiling and happy. Or at least a lot more so than US'...