Welcome To Phl

TomBascom said:
go over to LUV's gates and look around. Their customers will be smiling and happy. Or at least a lot more so than US'...
Of course they will be happier...They are the happy drunks that WN lets hang around. The cranky ones are refused service.

Seriously, I've been flying U for ages & it seems to me that passenger attitudes have gotten better and better. There are far fewer cranks, fewer screamers, fewer red faces. The U employees must be getting better at nut control.

Even when Mesa has a plane in place, they wind up taking MASSIVE crew requirement delays. That's normally before the plane breaks down. On the clear days when there NO PHL air traffice, the delay is weather "effecting a prior flight". And from what I've seen, PSA uses the same game plan. I'm not slamming anyone. Just relaying what I have experienced.

bofie said:
Of course they will be happier...They are the happy drunks that WN lets hang around. The cranky ones are refused service.

Seriously, I've been flying U for ages & it seems to me that passenger attitudes have gotten better and better. There are far fewer cranks, fewer screamers, fewer red faces. The U employees must be getting better at nut control.
Bofie

Thank you for that. I agree. This is just MY opinion, but I feel we are experiencing now what LUV has for years...if you don't offer much, they don't expect much and it's high expectations that cause most problems with the airlines.

I like how people keep sayuing that wait until winter hits PHL & then WN will be in trouble. The problem is that is what everyone said when WN started service to BWI, PVD, MHT, ALB, BUF, CLE, DTW, ISP, & MDW just to name a few cities that WN go to that also has winter.

Tanker said:
I like how people keep sayuing that wait until winter hits PHL & then WN will be in trouble. The problem is that is what everyone said when WN started service to BWI, PVD, MHT, ALB, BUF, CLE, DTW, ISP, & MDW just to name a few cities that WN go to that also has winter.
PHL is one of the top five most congested airports in this country. I just saw a list in the paper over the weekend and don't recall which airports made up the other four, but I don't believe any of the airports you named were on the list. I think the combination of weather delays (including rain events) and a congested airport will give WN some headaches they haven't had before.

"I think the combination of weather delays (including rain events) and a congested airport will give WN some headaches they haven't had before."

Who knows - it's possible. However, if WN gets a headache in PHL we get a migraine since it is our "premier" hub.

Jim

Question on PHL: is the PRM stuff ever actually used?

I'd assume that a sizeable chunk (if not all) US pilots have gone thru PRM training, but I'm curious as to the status of OA pilots.... I'm also curious as to how/if LUV guys/gals use of a HUD impacts the ability to accept a PRM approach, even with training.

Clue,

All US pilots are PRM qualified. I have never actually done any PRM approaches at PHL (or anywhere else that has them), but I read that they are done once in a while - usually in good weather. One thing to remember is that the PHL PRM allows simultanious approaches to 26 & 27L, and not that much traffic uses 26.

As for the effect of having a HUD, you'll have to ask someone that uses one. My guess is that it doesn't make a difference, though, since the PRM is only a different form of missed approach.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that it really only takes one crew who is not PRM qualified to throw the whole PRM thing out of kilter, which is kind of why I asked.

I also figured they'd use it more often when the weather in PHL goes to he!!.

Clue,

Technically, I guess anyone not participating in the PRM program could throw it out of kilter. Or did you mean that one US crew not qualified made us all ineligible to use the procedure? If so, I suspect you're right, but that isn't an issue.

When the wx is bad it would be the ideal time to use it for traffic flow, but I don't think 26 has a precision approach (could be wrong since I've obviously never used it due to its length) so 26 is not used then.

Jim

26 does have an ILS. Therefore they can run simultaneous ILS PRM approaches to 26 and 27L. The problem being that they only run it when there is no departure traffic and it's a beautiful day. You cannot request a visual when the PRM is in use. Another problem with the PRM is the large number of CRJ's in PHL. The CRJ uses cat. D approach mins. and the ILS PRM to 26 says that Cat. D is N/A, so therefore the CRJ can only do the PRM to 27L. Hope this helps.

Gnat

I saw an Airtran 717 landing on 35 this morning--then about 8 min later another 717 landed on 27L (the departure runway). The 717 going to 35 was extremely nose high indicating a slow final approach speed.

I also saw the E170 this morning for the first time--it's very nice looking from the outside.

My best to you all...

If an airline or crew is not approved for PRM, they have to call ahead 2 hours prior to their ETA to be slotted in, or they won't be accepted by approach (will have to divert).