BOS,LGA,andLAS bases to close in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? But shrinking to profitability has worked so well in the past.

Profitability is only the excuse they're giving publicly for their restructuring plans. I'm saying I doubt that is the real reason for all of this.

Thanks for the unmerited vote of confidence.

The key word should be "leverage". USAirways has it over Mesa and should try using a little of it to mitigate the effects on it's own employees. I wouldn't be surprised if Republic doesn't offer Mesa some go-away money to reduce their flying and Mesa takes it, given their dire situation. Then Republic has the leverage over USAirways.

Perhaps, but I recall not to long ago, Delta tried to yank the carpet out from underneath Mesa's feet, and lost big in court.

I would also think that since the "loan" no longer exist with republick cause of the 190 deal, they actually lost leverage over LCC.

:lol: They can have it. What will it be called then? The Swampcastle?
No, The Pits - in honor of NASCAR and all, of course.

Except that they generally try to fix things in the pits. The analogy begins to break down rather quickly.

I just wanted to add that my sympathies to any and all of you that are adversely affected by all of this.

What does this mean for boston?

Do they lose all of their service other than flights to hubs and shuttle destinations?

Thanks in advance.
Probably---that's what they did in Pittsburgh (mecca) which used to be the largest hub.

It's nice to see Zurich and Brussels go full year around on bigger equipment however...

Brussels has always been year round until this year, and ZRH had been year round until last fall. Where does it say anything about bigger equipment for these cities?

No matter how much they try, ZRH cannot be serviced with a 757. It has always been a 767, and I don't see in the press release where that changes.

Brussels has been a 757 city for well over a year now, and I don't see where it says that it will go to a bigger airplane.

All in all, it sounds about right, though Boston is a bit surpising just because I figured it was relatively higher yeilding.
What does this mean for boston?

Do they lose all of their service other than flights to hubs and shuttle destinations?

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't say anything about service reductions to BOS. All it says is that crews will no longer be based there.

So, I'm wondering how many of the original Trump Shuttle girls will decide to retire with this announcement now that their BOS and LGA 1 day trips will be gone and they'll have to commute. Hope AFA tries to get some insurance with this buy-out for those who would like to leave.
I see this as either a move towards a merger or the beginning of the end...finally.

There'll probably still be some of the Express flying out of BOS but mainline looks like it'll be down to mostly the Shuttle and flights to the hubs.

Jim

Wow,

First off my heart to those effected.

Other thoughts:
WN better plan for security at Boston, LGA and LAS for the commuter fights aka Pitt They will make a mint on those choosing to buy tickets to commute

Why does everyone assume CO, AA or UA buyout. Past history suggests that the purchaser is more likely to be a Republic. Note last few buyouts US and F9 were all made by smaller airlines who have the cash

Reading over the press release, it struck me that PHX has 250 departures a day, while DCA is slated for 230 departures a day when the DL slot transaction is complete.

If one compares the terminal building infrastructures of PHX vs. DCA, as well as the ramp/taxiway layout, I have to wonder how in the h*** they are going to manage to operate almost the same number of flights from DCA as they do from PHX.

I figured that LCC would get more gate space in DCA as part of the deal, but PHX has 4 huge concourses at the disposal of LCC to operate its 250 flights. DCA will be a nightmare of epic proportions.

I don't see this announcement as the beginning of the end for US, nor do I see it as a prelude to a merger. With the pending slot swap, it makes (economic) sense to close the crew base at LGA. Furthermore, the competitive landscape has changed in BOS with JetBlue's build up and now with Southwest in the the market. LAS is a low-yield market where US is a distant second to Southwest. Furthermore, with the pull-down of the night flying there, it is no longer economically feasible to maintain its current size in terms of employee staffing. It is better to redeploy assets to where US Airways can generate the greatest amount of revenue, and extract a revenue premium.

The cities in which the company enjoys market dominance are CLT, DCA, PHL, PHX. Given the current economic environment, this move is a prudent one, which will strengthen the company going forward. Although it is unforturnate for those employees that will be at the affect of this restructuring, it is the nature of the beast.

American has made similar announcements with regard to STL and MCI. They are playing to their core strengths at DFW, JFK, LAX, MIA, and ORD. Nevertheless, these are actually sound business decisions that shouldn't be personalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.