BOS,LGA,andLAS bases to close in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAS was a money maker for years, but not any more. There are just not that many passengers going into LAS now and it doesn't make sense to keep all that flying. It was great to have 300+ flights there, but even then the margin was razor thin.

I have no doubt you'll see SWA rethinking LAS soon.

And I wouldn't be too worried about PHX.
I disagree about SWA and LAS.

I cant speak on a daily basis, But the wife and I just tried to non rev out of LAS last weekend. We could have used US, SWA, or Air Tran. We waited through twelve hours of southwest blender like a pinball going from gate gate through 8 flights before we finally called it a night and got the last seats out to an intermedite stop on SWA the next day (our third try for that day). I can truly say that there was not a single seat that left without a butt in it that weekend day going anywhere, and at least not East on Airtran or US. Dont know if it is like that all the time, but it sure was amazing last weekend!

The SWA gates were a mad house, so we walked over to the US gates where it was peaceful and serene. That would worry me...

Let me rephrase and say that the chances of PHX going away any time soon are VERY slim.
As a former burgher, we used these very same words. "Any time soon" in this business is undefined, but always a very short period of time. You're right though, the chances are "VERY slim" for 2010. But after that, all bets are off in this business.

It is just amazing to me how the cuts always seem to come from one of the lowest paid, if not THE lowest paid work groups. It is truly amazing, I would want to see heads roll from the sandcastle and see top level positions eliminated. This is a hard blow, and once again, a very good reason NOT to give up your life for an airline people!!!

Well, the reason is that there are many people in that bucket, that is how layoffs work. The populist call for heads to roll from upper management is just an emotional response to "get even with them"

The management oversees many people, the low paid work groups are where the cuts are because there isn't enough work for them now. Sorry, them's the breaks. Not every employee can be management and not every employee can be the President and CEO.

Not a word from VP Inflight Mr. Adler .... Nice!

LGA received "scripted" phone calls (most of which went to VM) saying that they wanted to let us know first, before we found out from "other sources".

I received my call at 2:30pm.... 2 hours AFTER the Press Release... Nice!

Now we move on.... LGA, is a fun little base and will miss it dearly!

I disagree about SWA and LAS.

I cant speak on a daily basis, But the wife and I just tried to non rev out of LAS last weekend. We could have used US, SWA, or Air Tran. We waited through twelve hours of southwest blender like a pinball going from gate gate through 8 flights before we finally called it a night and got the last seats out to an intermedite stop on SWA the next day (our third try for that day). I can truly say that there was not a single seat that left without a butt in it that weekend day going anywhere, and at least not East on Airtran or US. Dont know if it is like that all the time, but it sure was amazing last weekend!

The SWA gates were a mad house, so we walked over to the US gates where it was peaceful and serene. That would worry me...
Any idea of how much those passengers were paying for tickets?

Remember, its NEVER about the load factor. Full flights are indicative of cheap fares. As BB stated, and airline can have 100% LF and still go bankrupt.

dgriffit, Steve Wynn was just complaining (last week on CNBC) that Vegas is still way down and only filling up on the weekends and mostly vacant on the weekdays. It seems that the present administration in DC has scared the convention business away during the weekdays (remember the demonization?) , acording to Wynn. So...maybe try non-reving on weekdays?

Actually it was FoxBiz last week his comments about no convention business come about 7 min. into the interview :

http://www.foxbusiness.com/search-results/...tm#q=steve+wynn

Any idea of how much those passengers were paying for tickets?

Remember, its NEVER about the load factor. Full flights are indicative of cheap fares. As BB stated, and airline can have 100% LF and still go bankrupt.

I think that's DP's and "Boy Wonder's" long term plan (if they are not able to sell us off). Managing and actually running an airline is a heck of a lot tougher after it's core business has been destroyed by BAD DECISIONS (and a tough economy). Well a lot tougher than having your photo taken for Fortune when everyone thinks your the (airline) CEO flavor of the week. Now it's time to live up to the hype. Still waiting.

dgriffit, Steve Wynn was just complaining (last week on CNBC) that Vegas is still way down and only filling up on the weekends and mostly vacant on the weekdays. It seems that the present administration in DC has scared the convention business away during the weekdays (remember the demonization?) , acording to Wynn. So...maybe try non-reving on weekdays?
Case in point.

High occupancy but low room rates.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2009_4t...egasAugust.html

Not a word from VP Inflight Mr. Adler .... Nice!

LGA received "scripted" phone calls (most of which went to VM) saying that they wanted to let us know first, before we found out from "other sources".

I received my call at 2:30pm.... 2 hours AFTER the Press Release... Nice!

Now we move on.... LGA, is a fun little base and will miss it dearly!

Have no fear my dear, a letter from Mr. Adler is posted on Wings under the inflight section. I will miss the NE bases as well, nice group of people.

Have no fear my dear, a letter from Mr. Adler is posted on Wings under the inflight section. I will miss the NE bases as well, nice group of people.

Why, thank you! forgot to look there! I found it. Last paragraph from Hector states:

At the completion of the realignment, staffing requirements will change as follows: the PHL Base will
increase by 153 flight attendants; DCA by 41 flight attendants; CLT by one flight attendant; PHX will
decrease by eight flight attendants.

CLT 1 FA? :blink:

35A/B is very much improved. My colleagues agree.

Speaking of 35A/B, what ever happed to the plan (originating from Siegel, but never officially scrapped AFAIK) to replace that DCA hangar with an express/RJ terminal and a connecting bridge from Terminal C?

Back to the topic at hand. Part of this new plan, since LAS will be all-but-dead, should be an application to move the beyond-perimeter authority from LAS to SFO. Not only is there a ton of O&D traffic, but there are seven STAR partners (Singapore, EVA, Hawaiian, Asiana, Air New Zeland, Air China, and of course, UAL with a huge SFO presence). I don't know how the FAA would feel about it, but it may be worth a shot.

The management oversees many people, the low paid work groups are where the cuts are because there isn't enough work for them now. Sorry, them's the breaks. Not every employee can be management and not every employee can be the President and CEO.
But in the last 2 years it seems the workforce to be "overseen" has shrunk quite dramatically, but the size of (mis)management has increased. It would seem that if there are fewer employees to manage, you shouldn't need as many managers to do it! Maybe they should trim some of the management fat to trim the payroll down. Getting rid of some upper/middle management isn't personal..."Even though these are difficult decisions, which we don't take lightly, it's just business and needs to be done for the betterment of the company and it's future".

Dorf

Part of this new plan, since LAS will be all-but-dead, should be an application to move the beyond-perimeter authority from LAS to SFO. Not only is there a ton of O&D traffic, but there are seven STAR partners (Singapore, EVA, Hawaiian, Asiana, Air New Zeland, Air China, and of course, UAL with a huge SFO presence). I don't know how the FAA would feel about it, but it may be worth a shot.

Two words...

Harry Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts