BOS RONs

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Noticed AA has significantly reduced the number of aircraft that RON at BOS.  Was this driven by any changes for line maintenance?  I know US has line maintenance here, do they work on aircraft overnight?

Right now BOS has the following:

738: (10) DFW (2x) JFK (1x) LAX (2x) MIA (2x) ORD (3x)
757: (2) DFW (1x) MIA (1x)

In the past there were considerably more aircraft staying overnight and parked outside the AA hangar (near the Gulf gas station) but now late nights there are only a small handful aircraft staged that can't be parked at gates.

What does LUS have in BOS overnight?

Josh

US has a hangar at BOS and a large Line Maintenance presence and they have a B-Check done nightly.

Reactions: 1 person
When my son's mother was a Lead Stock Clerk in BOS, they didnt share a hangar, but that was quite a few years ago.

Reactions: 1 person
BOS had 15 RON's now have 11 probably a seasonal adjustment. The thing about BOS is there are 5 hangars at this airport. One Delta, one JetBlue, and three with ties to US/AA none of which can be used for aircraft  maintenance. The old AA hangar (near the gulf station) is condemned as is being taken down, the old US hangar is no longer leased and is used by the airport to store ground equipment, and the third hangar, the former TWA/Northwest hangar recently refurbished for the combined US/AA is out of service. If you fly it into BOS whether it be a domestic, international, or corporate aircraft, you better hope it flies out because there is no place for aircraft maintenance in BOS except on the ramp. Just ask the JAL/Boeing 787 battery fire fix it crew. Trivia I thought some might find interesting.

skinvalve said:
BOS had 15 RON's now have 11 probably a seasonal adjustment. The thing about BOS is there are 5 hangars at this airport. One Delta, one JetBlue, and three with ties to US/AA none of which can be used for aircraft  maintenance. The old AA hangar (near the gulf station) is condemned as is being taken down, the old US hangar is no longer leased and is used by the airport to store ground equipment, and the third hangar, the former TWA/Northwest hangar recently refurbished for the combined US/AA is out of service. If you fly it into BOS whether it be a domestic, international, or corporate aircraft, you better hope it flies out because there is no place for aircraft maintenance in BOS except on the ramp. Just ask the JAL/Boeing 787 battery fire fix it crew. Trivia I thought some might find interesting.
So you are saying the new refurbished hangar is empty and not being used? Why is that?

skinvalve said:
The refurbished hangar is out of service? Could you elaborate?

Where is the new hangar?  Other than the AA, B6 and DL hangars along Service Rd I don't know of any other hangars on the airport grounds.  Do they work on aircraft at the remote staging locations on the south side of the airport (near cargo and Harborside Dr)?

Josh