Bronner Flies

LavMan

Veteran
Feb 12, 2003
On Wednesday Bronner was flying to DCA, the utility foreman told the lead utility for that gate to make sure the plane was cleaned better then usual.

What a joke why don''t we show Davey what really gets done instead of the dog and pony show management always makes us do when someone importante flies thru.

Bronner did not pay for his ticket, he flies free first class for being Chairman of the Board.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 9:23:48 AM LavMan wrote:

On Wednesday Bronner was flying to DCA, the utility foreman told the lead utility for that gate to make sure the plane was cleaned better then usual.

What a joke why don't we show Davey what really gets done instead of the dog and pony show management always makes us do when someone importante flies thru.
----------------​

Look on the bright side -- at least he was flying US Airways!

I was in DCA yesterday -- I was told a story about Dave S. trying to get the gate agent to hold a flight; the gate agent apparently didn't recognize him and gave him "the usual answer"... That taste of "real life" was, IMHO, a good thing he needs more of those -- OTOH I also heard that "the union" caught him trying to "man the kiosk line" and threatened to file a grievance if he didn't get his butt out of there. Which is a pity -- I'd think that the unions should be heavily in favor of the suits getting a taste of reality on a regular basis.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 11:34:59 AM TomBascom wrote:

- I was told a story about Dave S. trying to get the gate agent to hold a flight; the gate agent apparently didn't recognize him and gave him "the usual answer"... That taste of "real life" was, IMHO, a good thing he needs more of those -- OTOH I also heard that "the union" caught him trying to "man the kiosk line" and threatened to file a grievance if he didn't get his butt out of there. Which is a pity -- I'd think that the unions should be heavily in favor of the suits getting a taste of reality on a regular basis.

----------------​
I would agree with this with restrictions. The same would be said for local management. However, they appear on their rounds, and see a line and start "helping" which isnt what is needed. If they want a taste of real life, they should be set to work a schedule like the rest of us and take it as it comes. Not be an extra body, not have all the managers there to help out just in case, but be "the kiosk person" solo, like we are many times during the week to get the real taste of things, not some watered down version or I was just passing thru and you looked like you could use a hand version. We look that way quite often so if you arent going to help us out the rest of the time when we need it and have told you we need it, dont bother to help out on a whim when you happen to be passing by.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 1:24:20 PM LavMan wrote:

That makes no sense Tom, I could care less if he flew us or not, it did not bring revenue to US, actually costs us to fly him and his cronies around the system.

----------------​

He's more likely to understand your issues if he flies on your planes.

That makes no sense Tom, I could care less if he flew us or not, it did not bring revenue to US, actually costs us to fly him and his cronies around the system.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 11:45:06 AM LavMan wrote:

Bronner did not pay for his ticket, he flies free first class for being Chairman of the Board.

----------------
But at least he was on one your planes.

I can understand not wanting management to be used as a regular "relief" for chronic short-handedness. But they won't want to do that either -- especially not Dave, Dave, Ben and those folks. Every dose of reality, no matter how diffuse, that they get is precious. Don't waste a drop.

Maybe the next time they come looking for concessions or whatever you guys ought to get them to agree to spend some time in the trenches working just like regular joes... Anyone VP or higher has to spend one week per quarter taking tickets, washing lavs, loading bags, handling complaint calls or whatever. Oh, and they should have to commute somewhere for half of those assignments -- not just go to good old DCA. They should show up in places as diverse as PHL, SFO, IND, MHT & FWA once in a while too.

How can he understand when they fool him because they know he is flying on a certain flight so they pay greater detail to make the plane look better.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 1:11:33 PM TomBascom wrote:

I can understand not wanting management to be used as a regular "relief" for chronic short-handedness. But they won't want to do that either -- especially not Dave, Dave, Ben and those folks. Every dose of reality, no matter how diffuse, that they get is precious. Don't waste a drop.

Maybe the next time they come looking for concessions or whatever you guys ought to get them to agree to spend some time in the trenches working just like regular joes... Anyone VP or higher has to spend one week per quarter taking tickets, washing lavs, loading bags, handling complaint calls or whatever. Oh, and they should have to commute somewhere for half of those assignments -- not just go to good old DCA. They should show up in places as diverse as PHL, SFO, IND, MHT & FWA once in a while too.

----------------​

Tom,

Its all about jobs, creating jobs, and keeping jobs. Don't think it would be good negotiation practice if in our negotiations we have mangement fill in for shortages. Rather they offer overtime to the workers OR ADD more workers.

This logic is good for our economy and GREAT for Amierica. Jobs, jobs, jobs.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 2:27:18 PM LavMan wrote:

How can he understand when they fool him because they know he is flying on a certain flight so they pay greater detail to make the plane look better.
----------------​

There's more to it than having a clean plane. If he's on your flights he's also rubbing shoulders with your customers. And walking through your terminals. Seeing your people loading and unloading his bags. Discovering that there are no limes and living off a bag of pretzels. Waiting on the runway in PIT for 30 other flights to get out of the way. And so forth.

Sure, it's not quite the same as being a mystery shopper. But it's way better than if he takes a corporate jet or some such.

I agree with Tom and Pitbull on both issues here.
The problem with this though is that local management, not wanting to look bad, would schedule the staffing they have to make things look good the day they come. All overtime would be covered and the vacation relief people would be used where they are needed to fill in the gaps. It would never be a normal real day operation unless they showed up unannounced. We would have everyone there making sure things went perfectly so they would never get a true idea of what everyday was like. Just like the manager "checking things out" on the night shift in the middle of the week instead of the middle of the day on a Friday or Sunday when things are busting loose all over the place. I honestly think that is something they must teach in management school. Look concerned about what is happening, just wait until the next day when things calm down to address it.
As far as Bronner flying us. I agree he might not be paying anything and might get some special treatment, but if he is truly concerned about his investment he is checking out things as he moves thru the airport. I hope that no one would break the rules and do something they werent supposed to do just to impress him. If there is no service onboard, dont do it. If you dont have time to get the pretzels off the floor without taking a delay, dont do it or do it and take the delay. No special treatment. Thats never going to happen though because local management will always do whatever they need to to make it look good when they know someone is coming to town. Unannounced visits are the only way to change this.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 3:33:42 PM PineyBob wrote:
The folks at CCY are so out of touch with reality both on the labor and customer side that ANY time they spend "walking our walk" will pay huge dividends. To play Chicken Ka Ka over the work rules is really beyound stupid. Until CCY walks a few miles in our shoes they will never get it right. Besides PIT if you ask really really nicely maybe they'll even pay their $39.00/month in dues to the AFA that are not spent for the DIRECT benefit of US employees.
----------------​

While I'm suggesting reality checks... These same people -- VP and above, plus the BOD -- should be required to fly on US Airways and they should be required to purchase tickets out of their own pocket just like regular customers. Using the same channels and with no special privileges other than those that they earn just like we do -- new hires can be comped to CP just like any other good prospect. But if they don't earn it then they lose it the following year just like anyone else. They'll have to make reservations personally -- no secretaries allowed. Pulling rank also not allowed -- no gold files, no waiving fees, no extra upgrade coupons, no releasing inventory as a favor. They make enough $$$ that this is no hardship. They'll probably still think the prices are "reasonable" (after all they're plutocrats) but they just might get a clue about the process of buying tickets.

The idea of Dave listening to Dave apologize for the wait amuses me
1.gif

----------------
On 7/25/2003 2:38:26 PM PITbull wrote:

----------------
On 7/25/2003 1:11:33 PM TomBascom wrote:

----------------​

Tom,

Its all about jobs, creating jobs, and keeping jobs. Don't think it would be good negotiation practice if in our negotiations we have mangement fill in for shortages. Rather they offer overtime to the workers OR ADD more workers.

This logic is good for our economy and GREAT for Amierica. Jobs, jobs, jobs.
----------------​

I'm not suggesting that management make a regular practice of filling in for shortages -- we're talking about 30 or so suits here... If they all did as I suggest and worked one week a quarter you're looking at about 2 FTEs.

One more thing to add to my thought -- they also ought to get a paycheck for that week that reflects what a real person in that job would see. That check could be on top of their regular pay so long as it is a distinct piece of paper -- the point is that they should see it in all of its glory and reflect on what it would mean to them to live on such a check. The money is hardly going to break the bank.

The understanding and insight into what it really takes to get the job done that you would gain from such a program should easily counter-balance that. People here post a lot about how understaffed certain areas are -- if Dave and the boys experienced that first hand and were convinced by just one of those experiences to increase staff then you more than make up for anything that you might imagine you're losing.

Or maybe they would see there is a disconnect between what they've said needs to be done from the ivory tower and what has actually happened out there in the real world. And hold some people in the middle accountable. Or otherwise correct problems.

I suppose though that they might stumble across some featherbedding or some other bad thing somewhere too. But presumably you don't actually object to that being fixed if it exists? Because jobs, jobs, jobs isn't good for the economy or anything else if they're empty and meaningless drains on productivity.

I don't see how having management walk in their shoes for a bit can be anything but a good thing for workers. If you deny that then you may as well say that workers can never contribute a good idea to management.

----------------
On 7/25/2003 3:10:24 PM tadjr wrote:

I agree with Tom and Pitbull on both issues here.
The problem with this though is that local management, not wanting to look bad, would schedule the staffing they have to make things look good the day they come...
----------------​

True.

But over time that will start to wear off. And if management really meant this and stuck to it they'd see through all of that. Anyone who has spent any time as a manager and who is any good at it knows all about brown nosers and their tricks. They'll pick up plenty just from sharing the same air.

In the long run they'll only benefit if they stick to it and dig beyond the surface. If it's just a token thing to be avoided when possible then it won't work and they shouldn't bother.