Bronner Tries To Salvage Airline

You can disagree all you want, but the evidence to date doesn't back up your claim.
HP and TZ undercut the legacies by about $10 in most markets in which they compete. Yet "people" (including me) still opt to pay the extra $10. Why?

The only thing the evidence shows is that most people aren't willing to pay twice as much or more for the extra amenities promised by legacy carriers. That's no surprise.

mweiss said:
You can disagree all you want, but the evidence to date doesn't back up your claim.
HP and TZ undercut the legacies by about $10 in most markets in which they compete. Yet "people" (including me) still opt to pay the extra $10. Why?

The only thing the evidence shows is that most people aren't willing to pay twice as much or more for the extra amenities promised by legacy carriers. That's no surprise.
weiss, Why, thank you for "allowing" me to disagree with you. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in you, Knowing that you are a "numbers" man, I noticed that you resorted to statments such as "about $10 dollars" and "in most markets". I respectfully stand behind my previous post.. We are seeing fundamental changes in the way airlines "globally" do business, Most of those amenties you speak of are sadly going by the wayside due to the vast majority of passengers will not pay for them. I would like to know "WHY" you choose to fly on U when the fare is $10 dollars lower on another carrier ? [although I'm glad you do].

I think the BIG issue is how we sell the product. We want to rely on things like direct sales and internet, then we confuse people with hundreds of different fare codes, restrictions and rules. UAIR needs to either: 1) go back to telephone and agent sales, where these things can be explained, or 2) simplify fares, restrictions and rules, like SW and JB. I believe that THIS is the number one issue why folks buy tickets on these LCCs, not the fares themselves. In fact, if you can cut through the BS you'd see that most legacy carriers have similar if not better fares than many of the LCCs. It sucks pretty bad when you rely mainly on the internet for sales but no one can get your web site to work right or figure out the fares.

insp89 said:
Why, thank you for "allowing" me to disagree with you.
Hey, it wasn't about permission. Sheesh.
I have to say I'm a little disappointed in you, Knowing that you are a "numbers" man, I noticed that you resorted to statments such as "about $10 dollars" and "in most markets".
It takes more computing horsepower than I have at my disposal to do effective fare comparisons. Not that I haven't tried. Nonetheless, check out the fare buckets that Travelocity shows for markets where there is competition with TZ and HP. You'll see what I mean.
I respectfully stand behind my previous post.. We are seeing fundamental changes in the way airlines "globally" do business,
No argument there. It's when you add this:
Most of those amenties you speak of are sadly going by the wayside due to the vast majority of passengers will not pay for them.
that I start to differ in opinion. Look, people were ready to suggest that inflight entertainment was something passengers weren't willing to pay for, but somehow B6 manages to offer it at a profit. As I said before, people will pay some more for extra amenities (at least, people who travel with any degree of frequency). The once-a-decade travelers will always go for the cheapest fare, because to them the airlines are all the same.
I would like to know "WHY" you choose to fly on U when the fare is $10 dollars lower on another carrier ? [although I'm glad you do].
For me, it's because I have traveled on many airlines, and I recognize the differences among them. My last experience on HP was in coach on an A320. Far and away the worst experience I have ever had in terms of seat pitch. Horribly uncomfortable. I'm perfectly willing to pay $10 to escape that. Incidentally, my experience on US's 737s was close to that bad, though the 319/320/321 is decent.

But I'll be frank...the differences are diminishing, and it is really getting close to the point where I'll have little choice but to choose based on fare. If that's all that differentiates the airlines, what other reason would I possibly have?