BUDDY PASS

Just buy me a Bloody Mary w/ Shrimp and we'll call it even...It depends on when and how many people really...nonrevenue travel is dicey...I myself had to fly 13 segments to just get to three places last week...Saturday DCA-XXX-XXX-PBI* Flight Canceled due to Crew(Illegal) then went CLT-PHL-PBI* Flight Canceled due to MX Issues after an aborted takeoff which was cool but safe ;)...then PHL-XXX-DCA-PBI on Sunday...Waste of 24 Hours bouncing around...then Monday I went SJO-PHX-XXX-LAS-XXX-DCA...

It's never easy OSF on a buddy pass by the way since they are SA7P Boarding Priority...We have SA3P Employees...SA4P Retirees...SA5P Express Employees...SA6Ps I forget...SA7Ps are Buddy Pass Travelers.

Just buy me a Bloody Mary w/ Shrimp and we'll call it even...It depends on when and how many people really...nonrevenue travel is dicey...I myself had to fly 13 segments to just get to three places last week...Saturday DCA-XXX-XXX-PBI* Flight Canceled due to Crew(Illegal) then went CLT-PHL-PBI* Flight Canceled due to MX Issues after an aborted takeoff which was cool but safe ;)...then PHL-XXX-DCA-PBI on Sunday...Waste of 24 Hours bouncing around...then Monday I went SJO-PHX-XXX-LAS-XXX-DCA...

It's never easy OSF on a buddy pass by the way since they are SA7P Boarding Priority...We have SA3P Employees...SA4P Retirees...SA5P Express Employees...SA6Ps I forget...SA7Ps are Buddy Pass Travelers.

Basically the SA7P boarding priority is pretty low does freight have a higher priority than the SA7P.It sounds like she would be better off just buying a ticket but just out of curiosity what would the estimated tax and fees be for the use of the buddy pass to fly to Europe.

Basically the SA7P boarding priority is pretty low does freight have a higher priority than the SA7P.It sounds like she would be better off just buying a ticket but just out of curiosity what would the estimated tax and fees be for the use of the buddy pass to fly to Europe.

$100 Each Way $200 Base Fare plus approx $100-150 in Taxes depending on what country you're going to...$300-350 easy and good for winters only...summers=brutal man.

She is going to have to re think this trip completly the worst part is the US Arline employee is telling her she shouldn't have any problems getting around using his buddy passes but with all the information everyone on the forum has been kind enought to provide me with I don't think he know what he is talking about at all and I do owe you a drink
thanks
OSFSCOTT,

I have 15 years of non-rev ("free") flying experience on 3 different airlines -- as an airline employee, as an airline employee spouse, and using a 3rd airlines "buddy" passes from my cousin. So...

In my experience, like everyone else on this board has said, it is not a good idea to try to fly to and from Europe this summer on buddy passes. Your "friend" that is providing the passes probably has never flown on a buddy pass! Let alone even non-revved, himself. You'd be amazed at how many airline employees don't travel; and a ramp worker, generally speaking, is not exposed to these "I didn't get on!" horror stories that many front-line customer service employees must deal with...

As a non-rev, if I absolutely have to be somewhere I want to be at a certain time -- like a wedding -- I buy a ticket. If it's purely for pleasure, I spend hours researching and debating whether or not to attempt a trip -- Will I get on? Can I get back? What's my back-up plan? Are the risks worth the reward?

Unless you're retired or unemployed or independently wealthy -- no one else has the time or flexibility to put up with "buddy pass" stand-by travel to/from Europe in the summertime. Period. Your wife will want to relax and enjoy her "vacation" and worrying about going "stand-by" is not the way to see Rome/Europe for the first time. It's so beautiful and historic!

You say you "don't know how much a ticket would cost" -- do some research, man! Obviously, you're computer savvy as you managed to find this website! Try kayak.com -- it pulls fares from most major airlines all at the same time and has a couple of cool tools for flexing your dates of travel and finding the best fare.

Frankly, the only time I would suggest even attempting "buddy pass" travel to/from Europe is from about 5 or 6 days after Thanksgiving for about 10-12 days (depending on when Thanksgiving falls). Because of the T'giving and Christmas holidays there is a general slow-down in travel and you MIGHT have a chance during that 2 week "lull" to use a buddy pass.

No, taxes are not higher in the summer. However, many airlines do keep raising their "fuel surcharges" -- which can really add up on these int'l flights.

Whatever airline you choose, make sure you know what you're getting and understand all the other "costs" that may be asociated such as a charge for a 2nd checked bag. flyertalk.com is an interesting website to get insight into an airline you may not be familiar with -- keep in mind that it's human nature to complain and complain loudly and that balance may be lacking on those message boards in many cases. Also, have a look at seatguru.com to see the cabin lay-outs of the various airlines and be sure the seat you choose is not red, or even yellow... In my personal experiences -- all in coach class -- you pretty much can't go wrong with Air France or Lufthansa (free wine in coach, still, on both -- but double check!), American Airlines does an adequate job, and personally, I am not a fan of British Airways, nor Continental (must pay for wine in coach, even when going to/from Europe). I have only flown business class on US Airways (transAtlantic) and was treated quite well, thank you.

So, do some research and preparation, take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither should a vacation...

Arrivederci,
Breath

Latest posts