Cabin Service - Miami

Miaami,

According to you, it is only the International flights which are going out dirty and unstocked. Untrue. This affects the entire system.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is more to American Airlines than just International flights.

I was referring to an earlier post that suggested that the International flights are the only ones being cleaned. No bubble busted here as International F/A's in MIA sometimes fly domestic legs as well as international legs. Its not unusual for IMA-F/A's to have domestic layovers.

"Cabin Service seems to be doing less and less nowadays. Replenishing does NOT mean dumping a plastic bag full of styrofoam cups on the galley counter."

Two things can be happening here, #1 if the A/C is under a security check, that leaves less time to clean and even less time to replenish.

#2, the inbound F/A constantly trash the galley to the point where all the cups are mixed up, the only response can, here do it yourself. Maybe then the outbound crew can see firsthand, and follow through with a write-up.

MIA flights are pigs coming into JFK

It would appear that the only remedy here would be to rework the flight schedules and add a little more time between departures. Does five, even ten minutes really make that much of a difference?

A dirty plane is just another way of telling passengers AA doesn't take care of it's planes, so you can treat it any way you like.

Those planes are hocked to the overheads! I wonder if the paper holders on those planes would like to see how well AA is taking care of their collateral.

WingNaPrayer said:
It would appear that the only remedy here would be to rework the flight schedules and add a little more time between departures. Does five, even ten minutes really make that much of a difference?

A dirty plane is just another way of telling passengers AA doesn't take care of it's planes, so you can treat it any way you like.

Those planes are hocked to the overheads! I wonder if the paper holders on those planes would like to see how well AA is taking care of their collateral.
[post="263758"][/post]​

The paper holders? As in toilet paper holders? You're not talking about the likes of GE, and the rest of those companies that keep bankrupt airlines flying by giving them extensions after extensions in BK court, in th hope of recouping their losses someday, whilst, people working at better managed company's employees get hammered with concession after concession.

Not those paper holders, right?

I have always noticed the planes from MIA are trashed. I always thought it was the passengers. Now you guys are making me think the planes started out dirty.

On a correlative vein...

Has anyone else had the following problem regarding trash on double-catered flights? The company has issued more than one HI6 instructing us to put any extra bags of garbage that won't fit in the carts directly in front of the galley door so that the caterers can remove them from the a/c when they re-cater it.

The other day, I boarded an a/c at ORD which had not yet been catered. It had come in from a double-catered long turn (something like ORD-LAX, for instance). There were 2 full gray trash bags sitting directly in front of the forward galley door. When the caterer arrived and opened the door, he very carefully set the bags of trash aside, replaced all the carts in F/C galley, then put the bags of trash right back where he found them in the galley floor before closing the galley door and driving away. :shock: :shock: :lol:

jimntx said:
On a correlative vein...

When the caterer arrived and opened the door, he very carefully set the bags of trash aside, replaced all the carts in F/C galley, then put the bags of trash right back where he found them in the galley floor before closing the galley door and driving away. :shock:  :shock:  :lol:
[post="266660"][/post]​

As a FSC assigned to cleaning, I can attest that the real problem with the galleys being "trashed" on arrival is basically, a F/A problem. Some of these guys, have never been taught the basics as far as organization is concerned. Yes, garbage must be organized too. What comes out of the carts fits, back in. Even if you have to remove some of the garbage from the large bags and lay it on the bottom of the food carts in " market bags ". The caterer will not take garbage bags left in the galley, but he must take garbage left in the food carts, if it is a single catered flight. If it's a double catered flight might I suggest that any large bags with garbage be placed in the lavs ( before landing) , preferably using just one lav. However, always try to consolidate your garbage, by grouping them as much as possible, cups with cups, cans with cans. Have fun...enjoy. Playing with garbage, is better than working with garbage.

F.A.R.'s clearly state that trash CAN'T be placed in lav's for T/O or Landing!!! If AA is stating where to put the garbage so that catering will take it and they aren't, then it is not a F/A problem as you state AAquila

AAquila said:
As a FSC assigned to cleaning, I can attest that the real problem with the galleys being "trashed" on arrival is basically, a F/A problem. Some of these guys, have never been taught the basics as far as organization is concerned. Yes, garbage must be organized too. What comes out of the carts fits, back in.

Evidently, you are not aware of the amount of trash generated from the stuff passengers bring on board. The trash brought onboard by passengers frequently outstrips the amount of stuff coming out of the carts. There are times that we have trash storage problems even on single-catered flights because of the amount of "carry-on" trash.

But even if this wasn't the problem, on double-catered flights the carts come on jam-packed full. Now the only thing that comes out of most of those carts are sodas and pretzels. But, the soda cans have to go back in the carts and even if they are thrown in the trash bins, the cart inserts which contained the sodas are still taking up space in the carts as are the inserts which held the pretzels. None of the inserts are large enough to hold a trash bag, but also can not be removed from the carts because, like the trash bags, per the FAR (as pointed out by IORFA) anything related to the galley--carts, inserts, trash, etc--may only be stored in the galley for takeoff and landing.

AAquila said:
The caterer will not take garbage bags left in the galley, but he must take garbage left in the food carts, if it is a single catered flight. If it's a double catered flight might I suggest that any large bags with garbage be placed in the lavs ( before landing) , preferably using just one lav. However, always try to consolidate your garbage, by grouping them as much as possible, cups with cups, cans with cans. Have fun...enjoy. Playing with garbage, is better than working with garbage.
[post="266788"][/post]​

Since you evidently know something that neither the f/as nor the company knows, you need to let the company know that the caterers have decided not to honor the agreement they made with the company regarding double-catered flights. The company instructed us to put extra market bags of trash in front of the galley door ONLY after they had consulted with the caterers and come up with that solution.

jimntx said:
Since you evidently know something that neither the f/as nor the company knows, you need to let the company know that the caterers have decided not to honor the agreement they made with the company regarding double-catered flights. The company instructed us to put extra market bags of trash in front of the galley door ONLY after they had consulted with the caterers and come up with that solution.
[post="266876"][/post]​

Thanks for the education, as I said before my job is to simply clean the A/C, on these MIA turns there is little time and even less for cleaning. If the local management tells the CC FCS that this particular flight has beem double caterered, and therefore no catererer will appear, then it's my job to remove said garbage. There are no briefings before work begins, so basically we run from plane to plane, cleaning without my direction.

Inflight and Cabin Services should communicate better. Maybe you should drop a line to someone in your department jimntx. I'm afraid if I write it up as a cleaner, it will wind up in the garbage. :D

AAquila said:
Thanks for the education, as I said before my job is to simply clean the A/C, on these MIA turns there is little time and even less for cleaning.
[post="267698"][/post]​

Just wondering, does MIA really have over 500 AA cabin cleaners that the compAAny has testified to? I know midnights is outsourced, so that number would be for days and afternnons.

AMFAMAN said:
Just wondering, does MIA really have over 500 AA cabin cleaners that the compAAny has testified to? I know midnights is outsourced, so that number would be for days and afternnons.
[post="267718"][/post]​

That looks about right. This works out to about 170 cleaners per shift (plus DO/SK coverage and VC relief).

Last time I looked at a cabin service schedule, MIA had around 35 aircraft with either a BXT or a LV1 due on the day shift. Outsourcing is permitted on half dozen or so LV1's which arrive before 0800, but I'm assuming the dozen or so BXT's which arrive between 0400 and 0800 would be done by Cabin. They've also got a huge number of security search BOW's due to the volume of flights arriving or departing internationally. Not sure if that is being done at MIA by the gate crew or by a cabin service crew.

Cabin Service is horrible in Miami, they don't even do their job. This has been a problem for far too long. If they fired every single one you wouldn't be able to tell. Usually its the f/as that have to restock everything. If it wasn't for the out-stations you would be on dirty a/c all the time.

Former ModerAAtor said:
That looks about right. This works out to about 170 cleaners per shift (plus DO/SK coverage and VC relief).

Last time I looked at a cabin service schedule, MIA had around 35 aircraft with either a BXT or a LV1 due on the day shift. Outsourcing is permitted on half dozen or so LV1's which arrive before 0800, but I'm assuming the dozen or so BXT's which arrive between 0400 and 0800 would be done by Cabin. They've also got a huge number of security search BOW's due to the volume of flights arriving or departing internationally. Not sure if that is being done at MIA by the gate crew or by a cabin service crew.
[post="267755"][/post]​

Well here at JFK the outsourced cleaners are out there till at least 10am every day. Some of the aircraft they dont even start till after 8 am. But I'm sure that the TWU is keeping a close eye on all that. :D

Latest posts