Cascade Project for mgmt layoffs

From what I can tell, Lauri Curtis got her revenge. She managed to eliminate every Flight Service base manager who ever disagreed with her about anything. Got forbid Flight Service should keep talent instead of sycophants.

LAX didn't lose any "talent"! The ones let go, totally deserved it. Should have happened years ago.

Yes.. And if you look at our t/a...those taking the "buyout" will relinquish recall rights.

In all honesty, AA is beyond help. Should this "LLLLLBO" pass, why would those taking it want to come back except perhaps out of a perverse type of boredom? The company we think we're fighting with died in the 90s.

On a related note, I've messaged my CPA re: the effects of this "early out". We all know the monies will be subject to the maximum witholding rate but the real kicker is how we'd be subject to the AMT, which COULD potentially wipe out any benefit to those accepting the buyout, since no part of the distribution will be "qualified" in the sense of tax savings.

I'll share any answers I get on here.

Reactions: 1 person
I see that the former PDX GM is headed to TUS. I really hope he doesn't screw that place up too! If he uses his PDX past, that means TUS will lose over half it's flights and stop all ORD flights as well. I can see it now, no ORD and 3-4 flights a day to DFW. Maybe keep LAX. Losing the flights will allow him to get rid of the ramp like PDX as well. As a bonus now that the weight holding PDX down is now gone, maybe there will be a resurgence in capacity to actually what the market will bear, instead of keeping it artificially lower for some sick reason.

I see that the former PDX GM is headed to TUS. I really hope he doesn't screw that place up too! If he uses his PDX past, that means TUS will lose over half it's flights and stop all ORD flights as well. I can see it now, no ORD and 3-4 flights a day to DFW. Maybe keep LAX. Losing the flights will allow him to get rid of the ramp like PDX as well. As a bonus now that the weight holding PDX down is now gone, maybe there will be a resurgence in capacity to actually what the market will bear, instead of keeping it artificially lower for some sick reason.

Uh, the station GM has little to no input on how the airline is scheduled. They can recommend a retiming, but that's about it. This I know from experience.

And, if I recall, PDX was really screwed up by his predecessor, who was finally removed after falsifying training records for crew chiefs who'd lost the DRAUTH keyword... The GM before her was also supposedly removed for cause or disagreeing with El Jeffe...

Well, that isn't what he tells the troops on the ground. He would prefer far fewer flights with daily over sales on monopoly routes as opposed to healthy yields on multiple daily flights to existing hubs. Has been his S.O.P. for years, makes no bones about it. He has told the agents that he is continually active in keeping the 737-800's out of the city as well. Doesn't want to pay the landing fees. Says the stupid 80 is just fine.

The landing fee issue is legitimate, and PDX is not the only example of that. It could very well mean the difference between flights being break even or loss leading. Too many airports don't get that when they go build new crystal palaces with jet bridges.

If yields at PDX are so high, why is it mostly QX metal? If the guys in RM thought there was demand for another flight, it would be there. And again, RM sets the overbooking levels, not the station.

IIRC, the only reason PDX-ORD stayed around was the tag from/to EUG, as the airplane was catered and overnighted in EUG with practically no cost. When that went away in 1993, the nonstops to ORD got more expensive..

Shocking it may be, the GM going to TUS probably knows more about station outsourcings than a lot of GM's -- I was project managing the process of closing his station (he was an agent back then) and a dozen others around 1993; two years later, he took over the project managing piece when I moved on to another group.

So, yes, he knows more tricks about how to keep a station open than a lot of GM's do. It doesn't mean he can affect the number of flights or how they're priced & sold, though.

That's not what he thinks. I get the impression he thinks he is the guy from MIA that just retired. Was it Dolara or Hazy, can't remember. Either way, he was and still is holding PDX back. Plus, not sure where you've been, but QX is not as large as it was in PDX. AS is taking back flights and mainline AS is making a resurgence again. Don't get me wrong, QX is still there and has its place. Alaska is just growing in PDX after its failed experiment with expanding QX too much in the wrong places.
I get what you are saying, but he openly tells the agents that he has turned down flights to ORD, STL and increases to DFW. He makes pitches to why they don't need them and they won't work. This from the guy who does nothing in the business community to help the company he works for and is supposed to represent.

Reactions: 1 person
How about this one..the GM of the soon to be outsourced CMH getting to be a Managing Director in CARGO of all places. This guy should have been out the door when the Union filed harassment on him when he managed Cabin at DFW. What the heck does he know about cargo? I think he started out as a flight attendant with Eagle and kissed ass all the way up the corporate ladder. Maybe they put him there so he can screw it up and get fired...

It's all a joke. Next to go are the CSM's How much you wanna bet that the ones that worked WITH the employees are the ones to go. The level that picks sure doesn't want anyone that knows their job better than they do. The knownothings stay with their jobs. Thats the only reason I hope there is a merger. US Management will keep their own, not these a$$hats