Cashless Test on Select Flights

Is it legal to not accept US cash for services/debt...?

This was brought up today on my t/a by a passenger who filled out a feedback form re: "cashless"

He referred me to wording on the bill itself, (refer to your nearest dollar bill)

He filled out the feed back form and since I had no answer for him, requested he ask for a response from AA HDQ...

He did...

(I informed him there were other airlines who do not accept cash for services/debt other

Hi. I'm new to this site so bear with me. At F9 we do indeed use a cashless system with a PDA type device. We've been cashless since 4/1/07 and it is GREAT. I don't know about AA, but F9 ran about 6 mos behind on rectifying FADE's so the FA's had to keep their FADE copies on file. Not only did they take up a ton of space, but it was a total pain in the behind. Also, several FA's have commented that they feel more safe on their layovers not having hundreds of dollars of cash that they're responsible for with them. We have 2 devices per aircraft and an extra battery on each aircraft as well. We have direct TV and the guys that repair that system also repair out CCD's (Cashless Cabin Device). F9 did about a 3 mo test prior to implementing it, and the passengers also appreciate it. We haven't had any problems with Mexico or Canada and don't foresee any with Costa Rica (start service from DEN on 11/30/07) as we have always only accepted the US Dollar. For those pax w/o credit cards they are able to purchase a voucher at the ticket counter when they check in. They give it to the FA onboard and then we activate their TV/Movie or their alcoholic beverage with our personal (company provided) TV cards (this is how we activate the Accent/Summit (top FF's) TV's and drinks. I LOVE the system and I think once the "bugs" get worked out at AA, you'll love it too.

Is it legal to not accept US cash for services/debt...?

This was brought up today on my t/a by a passenger who filled out a feedback form re: "cashless"

He referred me to wording on the bill itself, (refer to your nearest dollar bill)

Here's the link to the Treasury's statement on that: http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/curre...al-tender.shtml

In short...

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender" states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

Businesses aren't obligated to accept legal tender, since the services and goods they provide are not considered debts, public charges, taxes, or dues.

Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.

When's the last time any of you used a typewriter or took film to the drugstore for processing?...

Wait. Don't answer that.... some things aren't worth knowing about.

I might use $20 to $40 in cash over the period of a month. Maybe. And most of that gets handed to my kids for lunch money.

If AA manages to push away 5% of their existing sales because they can't/won't use plastic, it's still likely to be a net gain financially. The cost of handling cash gets more expensive as more people use plastic. Things like auditing the cash deposits, paying for an armored car service, are all expenses that AA has no choice but to incur as long as they accept cash, and those costs exist whether or not AA accepts thousands of dollars a day or less than $100 from liquor deposits.

Perhaps this might be the precursor to something bigger, which is no longer accepting cash or checks at the ticket counters. We proposed doing that about ten years ago to decrease losses related to agent theft and check fraud. Just like people didn't want to use ATM's 30 years ago, nobody had the appetite at the time. But it also took two attempts (also about ten years apart) to get people to go to electronic ticketing and self-service machines at the airports. Now, people don't even think twice about using either.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but no cash = no sales from me. That's the only thing I didn't like about Midwest Airlines. I had to go without an in-flight meal because they wouldn't accept cash.

I don't use a credit card unless it's for a hotel, airline ticket, something like that.

Re ATMs, I normally use an ATM but sometimes I go into the bank to cash a check because I don't want to carry around a stack of $20's.

Depending upon how AA sets it up, it will accept debit cards as well. Ours do b/c I too don't use credit cards.

At F9, we also had FA's that were dead set against going cashless, but once you use it and open your mind it is great. It's use is so simple, less time consuming and in tune with the 21st century. Afterall, look at all the technology we have on aircraft these days to make the pax life easier...direct TV, pay-per-view movies, WiFi, etc. Why shouldn't our lives as FA's be easier?

I promise....you'll be so glad AA went cashless a year from now.

We have had the machines for a year or so now. We have had the ability to use credit and debit cards the whole time. AA just wants us out of the cash business. I say lets go. We also can do reports to the company that before had to be written and that is a great enhancement as well. We are also half way through the phase in on using them for duty free. Also way past its time. Overall, if people used them, they would love them. I think people are getting used to them at this point.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but no cash = no sales from me. That's the only thing I didn't like about Midwest Airlines. I had to go without an in-flight meal because they wouldn't accept cash.

I don't use a credit card unless it's for a hotel, airline ticket, something like that.

Re ATMs, I normally use an ATM but sometimes I go into the bank to cash a check because I don't want to carry around a stack of $20's.

Is it just credit cards or debit cards an issue to?

Did you have problems with e-ticketing when it first came out?

Wondering if this is a generational issue?

Is it just credit cards or debit cards an issue to?

same thing

Did you have problems with e-ticketing when it first came out?

Not at all; I thought that was an excellent idea. I'm not opposed to electronics per se, and if someone wants to charge $2.00, fine, go ahead, but don't take away my option to hand over two one dollar bills.

Wondering if this is a generational issue?

could be

FWIW, my ex-wife used a credit or check card to buy everything. When she divorced me, not only was I able to see where every dollar she spent went (mostly junk, like McDonald's, Starbucks, movies, etc.), but she also ran herself $34,000 into debt doing this. Mr. Cash Only me, on the other hand, has no detailed records of where my money goes, which is a good thing since it's no one else's business anyway, and I can't spend more than what I make.

I used to be this way with groceries stores, wondered why anyone would charge groceries. Now if someone writes a paper check in line in front of me in leiu of using a debit card it annoys me. And don't get me started on paper coupons

FWIW, my ex-wife used a credit or check card to buy everything. When she divorced me, not only was I able to see where every dollar she spent went (mostly junk, like McDonald's, Starbucks, movies, etc.), but she also ran herself $34,000 into debt doing this. Mr. Cash Only me, on the other hand, has no detailed records of where my money goes, which is a good thing since it's no one else's business anyway, and I can't spend more than what I make.

Not that I'm saying it's your angle, but I can see how this cashless thing might pose a problem for those fooling around on their spouses or significant others as well as those who don't have credit cards.

I guess the cash people will have three options:
1. Get or use a credit card.
2. Rely on someone elses good graces to use their card in exhange for cash. Some said they would be willing. I wouldn't be.
3. Bring your own food, headsets, and drinks, onboard.

Not that I'm saying it's your angle, but I can see how this cashless thing might pose a problem for those fooling around on their spouses or significant others as well as those who don't have credit cards.

I guess the cash people will have three options:
1. Get or use a credit card.
2. Rely on someone elses good graces to use their card in exhange for cash. Some said they would be willing. I wouldn't be.
3. Bring your own food, headsets, and drinks, onboard.

Or better still, add $10 to the ticket and give the stuff away..no paperwork=s savings from many areas. Probably could get away with adding $5 and make a profit. F/as should be happy..no more HIDEP deposits...or are we the only ones that actually made deposits before every layover..lol

Or better still, add $10 to the ticket and give the stuff away..no paperwork=s savings from many areas. Probably could get away with adding $5 and make a profit. F/as should be happy..no more HIDEP deposits...or are we the only ones that actually made deposits before every layover..lol

Who is "we"? :rolleyes:

Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh, for the most part AA F/A's only make deposits in their base or maybe on sit time. Most likely at the end of a sequence. TWA F/A's were good at following all the rules, I will give you that.

Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh, for the most part AA F/A's only make deposits in their base or maybe on sit time. Most likely at the end of a sequence. TWA F/A's were good at following all the rules, I will give you that.

I thought Ms. McGuire said there is no "them" and "us." Funny how she likes to wave the differences between the two work groups like a flag when it suits her.

You guys were definitely the only ones following the HIDEP and deposit rules. If the OSR actually transmits we no longer have to HIDEP we just shove it in a safe. If there's no safe on my way home or to my commuter plane I just take it with me and deposit it when I come back to work. I used to HIDEP at home and did the deposit when I signed in.

You kind of learn early at AA that you're gonna get email notifications that the accounting idiots can't find your deposit whether you make it or not so you may as well do it when it's convenient for you.

Back