Change To Rapid Rewards Program

While everyone is focusing on the supposed bad news (capacity restrictions), isn't anyone else besides me happy about the 12-to-24-month credit expiration extension? This will REALLY help me out, and anyone else who like me who is not an FF but flies WN three or four times a year.
This year I started losing credits due to the one year expiration in May, when I was up to about 13 or 14 credits (a couple of trips, including partner car rentals and motel stays, with the rest from RR Visa charges). I finally exceeded the 16 credits needed in late July, following a vacation, but had lost three or four credits in the two-month interval. With the 24-month expiration, I wouldn't have lost any credits and would have 'earned' my free trip a month or so sooner.

Also, has anyone else read the fine print on their RR certificates carefully? For the past couple of years I've noticed a disclaimer on the certificate that states that after a certain date--always sometime in the following year--Southwest "may" elect to impose capacity restrictions on some or all flights. Seems like they've been considering this change for at least a couple of years before they finally decided to implement it.

ClueByFour said:
The idea of going--"Hey, let's to to LAS this weekend," however, did. My bold prediction that with markets like anywhere/LAS and the west coast shuttle type markets (ONT/SAN/LAX to SJC/OAK) that these suckers will be capped to death.
[post="287388"][/post]​

Personally, i would never waste a RR freebie on a short haul like the ones you mention (going to LAS is a short haul for me although I realize it isn't for everyone). I guess if one is earning free trips every month it is no big deal but since I usually only earn one per year I save it for a long trip to really get my money's worth out of it.

mga707 said:
While everyone is focusing on the supposed bad news (capacity restrictions), isn't anyone else besides me happy about the 12-to-24-month credit expiration extension?
[post="287593"][/post]​
I'm happy about it too for exactly the same reason. If I was a real FF I'd probably be upset, but as it is this will help me earn more RR tickets than I otherwise would. The seat restrictions don't bother me much because I would plan how to use the award well in advance anyway.

While the seat restrictions makes Rapid Rewards more like everyone else's FF plan, points are still awarded based on number of trips and not miles. That continues to play to SWA's strong suit as a short-haul carrier.

I like the fact that RR credits expire - it prevents them from appearing as debt on the balance sheet for years and years.

However, from the customers' perspective, I'd rather have credits or miles that I can use I my own choosing.

TheDog2004 said:
I like the fact that RR credits expire - it prevents them from appearing as debt on the balance sheet for years and years.

However, from the customers' perspective, I'd rather have credits or miles that I can use I my own choosing.
[post="287779"][/post]​

The credits show as liabilities and most airlines know - based on the % of miles that typically convert each period - how much of that liability is really to be converted and how much will go away. Outside of that, it is just a number and knowing what is behind it is the important part.