Charlotte To Get Munich Flight

Todd B

Advanced
Jan 11, 2003
www.usaviation.com
TED REED
Staff Writer

German airline Lufthansa is set to announce it will begin flying daily, nonstop trips between Charlotte and Munich next spring, sources say.

The carrier is expected to operate an Airbus A340 jet, seating about 261 passengers, on the route.

The new flight means Charlotte will have nonstop, daily service to two German cities, Munich and Frankfort. US Airways operates nonstop, daily flights between Charlotte and Frankfort.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...ess/7447676.htm?

Should we tell Mr. Reed that the large city in Germany with all the skyscapers and banks is spelled with a "U", not an "O". Frankfurt, Germany. Frankfort, Kentucky.

Another feather in management's cap - notice who is doing the flying it's not US Airways airplanes or employees. This, in short, is THE PLAN.

Pacemaker said:
Another feather in management's cap - notice who is doing the flying it's not US Airways airplanes or employees. This, in short, is THE PLAN.
Welcome to the Star Alliance!

Pacemaker said:
yes and one fine day all woke up...and alas,where had US Airways gone?
now you see it,now you don't.

whlinder said:
What a shock that MUC-CLT will be flown by LH instead of "The Star Alliance's east coast US feeder airline" US Airways...
This really isnt a shock since we barely have enough wide bodies to do the service we already have announced for next year anyway. :shock:

Pacemaker said:
Ya this is awful!! I can't believe they are going to bring 262 people into CLT so they can then connect on U to get to there final destination. This might be the final nail in the coffin for U! ..........................give me a break! This flight will do nothing but benefit U by increasing flow through CLT. It will also give U access to Germens who would only fly on there countries airline and wouldn't fly U out of Germany even if they flew on this route. This is a win, win for everyone. You guy's are sooooooooooooooooooooooo negative and greedy it makes me sick. Me me me. Doesn't matter if it helps my company and in the long term saves my job. Me me me. Pathetic! -Cape

While Cape and Tadjr are correct, this shows the overall morale out there. People have been neat down so badly, they only see the glass half empty version of everything. Another 262 people coming through CLT daily and connecting onto US metal to go other places is, in fact, a good thing.

While I don't agree with Cape's tone, I do agree with his premise. Too many people on this board are looking at this as a glass-half-empty equation. One of the best airlines in the world (LH) will be hand delivering hundreds of new passengers to U every day. These won't be people flying on those dreaded $140 RTs that so many have complained about. These are people paying good money to fly into the United States and back home. While in America (most of them won't be staying in CLT), they will be almost exclusively flying US metal. How is this bad? Sure it would be great to have U flying this route on one of its fantastic A330s (really nice rides), but since it seems there aren't enough of these in the fleet to go around as it is, then why not welcome this news? It means more pax and more revenue -- and what's wrong with that?

Pacemaker said:
notice who is doing the flying it's not US Airways airplanes or employees.
Henceforth, you too should call it the "DEATH STAR ALLIANCE".

We too have the DEATH STAR Cancer here in DEN.

:down:

ua767fo said:
Henceforth, you too should call it the "DEATH STAR ALLIANCE".

We too have the DEATH STAR Cancer here in DEN.

:down:
So true. For those saying that LH is bringing Germans over to CLT to connect, you aren't seeing the entire picture. There will be a lot more U passengers connecting in CLT to MUH on LH metal than LH passengers disembarking in CLT.
Why's the death * bad? Because LH is a greedy partner. Over time, you will find that LH flies a higher & higher percentage of the transatlantic traffic compared to U.
Which country supplies more pax ... Germany or the US?
As I said long ago, 'Welcome to the death *.' You can put as much lipstick on this one as you like, but it still smells like bacon.

As stated , We lack the metal to take on the CLT-MUC route at present..yet we are also going to enjoy the benefits of the connections this flight will provide in the near future.

This is not LH's first venture into CLT. They tried CLT-FRA a few years back with a 747-200 Combi...this didn't last too long...and U reaped the benefit in the end , maybe just maybe this will play into our hands again when we recieve the A330-200's in the future?

The short term should be U working with it's codeshare partner to work those flights , as opposed to what took place before, LH's first venture to CLT had a few LH employee's working the gates , with sub-contractors from the local FBO (Butler Aviation) handling the baggage , freight and thru-flight maintenance. This should be work to gain , if we play it agressively?

The last little perk will be Loans and Sales of spare parts to LH. It's a 100% certainty that LH will stock little to nothing regarding spare parts in CLT....and minus the engines on the A340's....much is common between that airframe and our A330's....we have in fact helped them stateside before..and they have us in FRA and other places. So money can be made via immediate support when their beast breaks....and it will , as they all do along the way.

In the long term...LH may be able to cultivate and pioneer this route...but U should be able to take it away as we did before over the long haul. The issue is to insure that we are actually here for the long haul.

Positive and Negative are a state of mind....choose which side of the fence you wish to be on? I'm trying to see the potential for a long term gain here. This is also going to aid CLT's growth as an international city. The gains are there to be had , if again we play our cards right?

"So true. For those saying that LH is bringing Germans over to CLT to connect, you aren't seeing the entire picture. There will be a lot more U passengers connecting in CLT to MUH on LH metal than LH passengers disembarking in CLT.

So what if there are more Americans going then Germans coming. All of them will have to ride on U to get to or from CLT to get on or off this LH flight. This is a good thing. :up: -Cape