CLT cluster F Friday

towerclt

Jan 8, 2006
Friday what a cluster f in CLT. (Fleet Service) When are we going to get some help ? Does anyone know ? Is this the next PHL or worse ? If only our passengers could see behind the scenes or better yet the news media get hold of this crap. Yesterday afternoon gates were so understaffed they told us they could't load the planes till their "help" got there. The bagroom so understaffed the lead told us they couldn't even make a schedule. Then the bag belt broke for a while.(They are not properly taken care of)
I can only iminage where we are headed. Then people thik we are doing so good. If they could only see the missed bags. Reroute was even closed a while yesterday!
WHEN IS SOME ONE GOING TO WAKE UP & FIX THIS MESS ?

First question... why were they understaffed? That many folks call in sick?

It has nothing to do with sick calls. They either are not hiring or they are "trying" & no one will take the jobs.
I would not dare venture how much understaffed CLT is BEFORE the first sick call. My guess tonight will be worse as knowing how bad SAT night is many will refuse over time. The short staffing is killing us & getting employees hurt.

P.S. Almost no sick calls as no pay. We work while we are sick or we "show up" see my earlier post.

It has nothing to do with sick calls. They either are not hiring or they are "trying" & no one will take the jobs.
I would not dare venture how much understaffed CLT is BEFORE the first sick call. My guess tonight will be worse as knowing how bad SAT night is many will refuse over time. The short staffing is killing us & getting employees hurt.

P.S. Almost no sick calls as no pay. We work while we are sick or we "show up" see my earlier post.

Sounds like a description of PHX ramp. Are yuns guys at least getting overtime? We're swimming in it but people aren't biting on that, either.

Barbee, overtime in CLT (ramp) is unlimited. Whatever a person can stand to work. You could live there. But people are only human & as you know this is hard work a person can only do so much till they are injured or burned out. Sat & I understand Sun people will not work the overtime as it's so much heavier especially in the bagroom where it is MUCH needed. They will work anywhere BUT bagroom.
They have got to hire staff & not rely on overtime with many unfilled spots.
As for me I work NO OVERTIME only my 40 hours per week.

Lots of seemingly smooth operations are complete chaos behind scenes. You do a good job when the public doesn't notice. If they don't notice, why would you want them to see anything to drive them away?

Barbee, overtime in CLT (ramp) is unlimited. Whatever a person can stand to work. You could live there. But people are only human & as you know this is hard work a person can only do so much till they are injured or burned out. Sat & I understand Sun people will not work the overtime as it's so much heavier especially in the bagroom where it is MUCH needed. They will work anywhere BUT bagroom.
They have got to hire staff & not rely on overtime with many unfilled spots.
As for me I work NO OVERTIME only my 40 hours per week.

Many HP rampers have learned to tolerate overtime, as at our wages, if you don't work overtime you will end up living on beans and dog food.
Pity that transfers are not allowed yet between east and west. There are people in PHX that want to transfer to CLT, mainly for the home prices.
PHX has new ramp classes and many glow-worms are on the ramp but few stay for any amount of time. The work, heat, mandatory overtime and dealing with surly workers who refer to them as "retard" and "dumbsh*t" doesn't hack it at $9/hr. That $9/hr is only PHX as LAS and other places don't get that but $7.50/hr.

Quite the opposite on the Express ramp on Friday. They had so many people out there that they had workers cleaning a/c windshields without it being requested. We had 5 people working our pushback. Of course most of these people were wearing bright new red uniform shirts. I asked if it was training day and the answer was a definite yes. My feeling is, why not hire more on the Express ramp....this whole airline will be express before long....just take a look at the C concourse. You'll notice a lot of CRJ's sitting there.....mainly because they are always broken!

US wants to start new hires at $8 per hour. IMO that's not even a living wage. They need to realize no one except a kid living at home, can survive on those wages. Res is having problems finding people, ramp service also. And no one wants to put up with the aggrivation of dealing with the public at the ATO for that pathetic salary. I have very little confidence this management teams has a grip on the reality of staffing at those wages.

US wants to start new hires at $8 per hour. IMO that's not even a living wage. They need to realize no one except a kid living at home, can survive on those wages.

You do realize one is not to be a Ramper, CS or reservation agent for life! They are called entry level jobs. You are right kids take them or spouses who need a good health plan but not the money etc. Do that for a few years (or while it suits your lifestyle) and then move up!
Paying entry level employees salaries that can substain a career is one reason the East had the problems it had. I know the unions have ingrained into you the anti-supervisor anti-managment mantra, but your goal should to be one! But as my dad used to say the world needs ditch diggers too! You just be better off if you inspired to use the ditch digging as a starting point and not view it as the end!

Bye the way things can't be all that bad CLT was the 1st quarter pride cup winner and had a complaint ratio of 1.68!
I think you all are probably doing a fine job!

Maybe the Company should do away with the current recall policies on the East side. As many of you are aware, anyone who is on furlough from Fleet for over 60 days, must return at the starting rate of pay. Let's see, I will go back to work already fully trained and qualified to do my job, but I will get the same hourly pay as a new hire off the street will. I'm sure that many would be willing to return to work even if a transfer were required if this
B.S. IAM approved clause were eliminated... :eek:

hmmm 1.68 is 1.67 TO HIGH if it is you that lost your bag or whatever caused the compliant.

Piney sometimes you seem to loose it!
1.68 per 100,000 pax is less the 1-1000 of 1%!

I am certian that your employeer has a worse % thab that! And as far as we knwo that could all be attribited to you writting in a few letters?

You do realize one is not to be a Ramper, CS or reservation agent for life! They are called entry level jobs.

And you do realize, I'm sure, how very insulting that statement is to your many colleagues who have spent 20+ years as rampers, customer service agents, and res agents, right?

Latest posts