Mini Trip Report--the 320 and Mesa

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
OK so I was one of three people actually LEAVING Miami yesterday (wish I could stay for the game, but I have a family). I did get to see the Heat beat the Cavs though....

Early to the airport, as the boss had an earlier flight--got on the First/Preferred line (only one on the line), and was completely ignored for about 10 min, while the agents took care of people on the regular line or those checking bags at the kiosk. It took an agent coming off break to look up and see there was a F/P customer waiting. Not an issue, just interesting.

Off to the gate, and awaiting my first experience with the now infamous 320. Well, I was not disappointed. This new configuration is an embarrassment, and is UNACCEPTABLE--to the flight crews AND the customers! I was the FIRST person on board, and there was only 1 and a half overheads available for customer use in F. PLUS, the hangar rack was mounted on the bulkhead, but there were NO hangars! The flight attendant just nodded in agreement, and apologized profusely. So my winter coat (yes we in the east have WINTER coats) went in the overhead squished next to my rollaboard, and I kept my suit jacket on.

We did have a full predeparture beverage service despite a quick turn (kudos to the flight crew), and I must say the 2 FA's were outstanding. One of my friends had told me that the original plan was to put oxygen bottles in a place in the galley so if there were a fire you'd have to reach beyond them to get to the extinguishers! Smart...

A slightly late arrival in CLT, and a trip to the club--as always a pleasant and productive experience. A nice visit with the club manager to catch up (we have missed each other the past few visits), and off to the gate to catch the mid afternoon lawn dart to JFK (read CRJ900). I had chosen JFK for this trip since I was traveling with colleagues on Tuesday, some of whom were on UA, and some travelled with me to IAD to begin the trip. It would be an interesting comparison between the lawn dart and my normal LGA flights.

Well I must say, this airplane was mostly full, and I would say only about 10 people on board spoke English. In the row opposite me was a mother and young child (read about 3) who was out of control--the mother had stuffed the seat back pocket so full that the row was obstructed and had left a large carry on on the floor blocking the child's portion of the row. On 3 passes through the cabin to check passenger readiness and compliance, BOTH flight attendants missed these items. On the final pass, I quietly nudged one of them and pointed to the bag on the floor--and he seemed annoyed that I was trying to help him avoid violating FAR's.

On approach, the same FA missed the fact that the child's seat belt was not fastened (it was not covered either), and the kid kept pulling the tray table down on final. The mom finally got the tray table up, but it appears that the landing was made without the kid belted up.

Other than slight delays, the overall trip was fine, but I am concerned about the professionalism of the Mesa crews--if they are this lax, how would they be in any kind of an emergency?

Just some ramblings, but the Mesa thing is somewhat troublesome.

PS--whoever designed to reconfig 320 should be forced to fly on it for a week--then fired.

My best to you ALL......

Bob,

I agree with much of what you're saying, except I don't think it was done as a slap to FF's or employees. This is merely an example of failing to think things through, and doing things without considering the consequences. There are numerous other examples, but this is just another case of being penny wise and pound foolish.

So now we as FF's have 2 types to book around--the 757 and the 320. I can't wait to see how they mess up the 321.

As you put it Bob, they know the price of everything and the cost of nothing.

If only they had ASKED someone first............

Art,

I gave her the customer relations e-mail address to give to unhappy customers and suggested she contact AFA as no employee should be put in her position by their employer.

What is the email address that you are giving out for customer relations?

So now we as FF's have 2 types to book around--the 757 and the 320. I can't wait to see how they mess up the 321.

If only they had ASKED someone first............

Welcome to my world. I bid around so many a/c now I'm lucky I get my time in. :eek:

Thats the problem with this group. They dont ask anyone anything.

Meanwhile, the west f/a's wonder why we're so angry. :censored: up the f/c, take the East glassware and put it on West flights....cant get a :censored: coathanger.

Geez, the Delta people better be glad these bozos FAILED!!!

BTW, Am I sensing a spell check added?

A crewmember asked Kirby about the FC reconfigurations the other day (specifically the A320/330) and here is basically what he had to say:

1) They didn't think it through all the way - this seems to be a growing theme w/ Tempe
2) All newly reconfigured planes will have the equipment out of the overhead, but it will take until October to fix all of the ones that are already flying
3) There are no plans to put the closet back on the A320. It came down to either that or 6 more Y seats, which Kirby said iss hard to pass up

On a side note, has anyone flown on a re-reconfigured A320 where the equipment is out of the way? If so, did you find the layout to be acceptable at the least?

Flew on one of the 320's first time today. DH in the back. And well the only good thing I can say about it is, I got the seat right behind the Emergency exit door. With no seat in front of me. Nice leg room. But looking around...They gotta be kidding, it's a frigin cattle car. Guy next to me was maybe 6'0, and was scrunched, no room. Used to love riding in back of the bus, now...not so much.....

Yes it is acceptable. Flew the HP config DCA-PHX. Here again the F/A made the experience.

Acceptable is a good word.

They need to seriously re-think the 10 seat removal on the A321. I fear it could really negatively impact the 43% revenue Premium generated by elites and THAT they had best think through BIG TIME.
I'm a West FA and how much space is being taken for emergecny equip in the overhead bins on the East side?...Yesterday I worked a flight OMAPHX and we had, what we are being told, are where the emerg. equipment is being moved to....they took the equip out of the small overhead bins, and put all the equip. in the overhead bin over 1AB...so we lost an overhead bin...and the small overhead bins(useless for any carryons, NOW EMPTY!...so where our equip. was ok and not taking any overhead space is now taking up an overhead bin.....and have been told all 320/319 West are going to be reconfigured this way so that East/West a/c will be the same....we on the West got used to no closet, hanging coats on hangers(if there are any),but this is to much....at least we have our video equip in the back...maybe they should move it to the front so we are like the East a/c....since obviously someone in Tempe has their head in the sand!!!.....Elites help us...keep calling and writing, no one is listening to the employees....

They gotta be kidding, it's a frigin cattle car. Guy next to me was maybe 6'0, and was scrunched, no room.
The Chinese and Mexicans are rather short people for a rule, maybe Tempe thinks everybody's that size.

What's next 7 seats across? Everybody gonna have to be under 100 pounds. Maybe I should say that, it may give them an idea. But then again, Tempe probably does not read any ideas.

....Elites help us...keep calling and writing, no one is listening to the employees....

We are trying but no one is listening! I just keep getting air check vouchers & free drink cards, and an apology for making my air travel a bad experience.

A crewmember asked Kirby about the FC reconfigurations the other day (specifically the A320/330) and here is basically what he had to say:

3) There are no plans to put the closet back on the A320. It came down to either that or 6 more Y seats, which Kirby said iss hard to pass up

FutureUScapt, thanks for posting this, I heard Mr. Kirby mention that as well. I am very confused, as the removed closet was actually smaller than 3 coach seats or 2 F seats how we do lose SIX coache seats if we re-install the (should never have been removed) closets.

Signed,

confused in LGA

My question is why didnt they remove the closets from the 319? The west doesn't have them so why do we still? They already reconfigured the 319 so that struck me as odd.

My question is why didnt they remove the closets from the 319? The west doesn't have them so why do we still? They already reconfigured the 319 so that struck me as odd.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that by putting the four additonal seats in the exit row, the seating configuration matches America West. When they removed the f/c seats, closet and galley and added more Y seats, the 320 now matches the America West configuration. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that they could add a closet on the US-west 319s w/o having to make any changes to seating, but simply have no desire to do so (that would involve a positive change for the FFs)

I am very confused, as the removed closet was actually smaller than 3 coach seats or 2 F seats how we do lose SIX coache seats if we re-install the (should never have been removed) closets.

It seems that they could add in a small closet w/o making any changes, or they could certainly put in a larger closet and remove just seats 4A/4B/4C if they wanted to.

Latest posts