Clt Works On Runway This Week

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways to cancel some flights

Charlotte runway work will affect service Tuesday, Wednesday

TONY MECIA

Staff Writer

In a move that could alter travel plans for hundreds of passengers, US Airways said Friday that it plans to cancel up to 10 percent of its flights from Charlotte on Tuesday and Wednesday because of construction on a runway.

REMAINDER DELETED.....POST THE LINK PLEASE

This from the Hub:

Working the Runway

Construction efforts are planned for the Charlotte runway starting Monday, May 9, at 8 p.m., through Thursday, May 12, at 6 a.m. Runway 18R/36L will be closed during this period, while worn concrete slabs are replaced.

US Airways has been working with the Charlotte Airport Authority, the Federal Aviation Administration southeast region, and local Air Traffic Control to minimize delays during this event.

The Operations Control Center (OCC) has gathered a team including Dispatch, Aircraft Routing, Crew Routing, Operations Planning and Analysis, and Customer Information Coordination to select limited flights for thinning of the operation. Teams at US Airways Express carriers Mesa, PSA and Piedmont are evaluating operations, as well.

“In a project of this magnitude, it is important to determine every possible scenario to ensure the least disruption to our operation and the best alternatives for our customers,â€￾ said Bob Maloney, managing director of Operations Control and Planning.

Bob explained that a reduction to Charlotte operations will be necessary during the construction work period. Up to ten percent of Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s flights may be canceled, which will reduce delays for those flights operating as scheduled. “Even with the reduced schedule, it will be a challenging environment. All hands will be on deck to get aircraft on and off of the airport taxiways,â€￾ he said.

OCC will make every effort to forecast cancellation needs on Sunday, giving Reservations plenty of time to contact and re-accommodate our customers for the week ahead. Reservations is prepared to process the flights immediately and has established a dedicated team of representatives to assist affected customers. OCC will monitor the situation in Charlotte and will issue guidance or take additional action as necessary.

Jim

Bluestreak said:
18L is the bumpy one. Everytime we takeoff on the left side it feels like we're off roading.
[post="267323"][/post]​

That's due to all the "impacts" :shock: on the crest of the hill :huh: when landing on rwy 23.... :lol:

Jim

What's wrong with 18R. Like it was said above the 18L/23 intxn needs to be repaired. I guess that the work couldn't be scheduled across a Saturday to least affect flights.

CLT on a Sat is a mad house with all the Caribbean flying. Plus moving the work to Sat would extend the work into Sunday too. Tues and Wed are generally the days that are booked the lightest. It is my understanding that they tried to get the work done strictly at overnight, but due to the nature of the work, it wasn't possible.

And when does the company tend to notify the crews??? And will they be pay protected? I am sure that the airport will be responsible for USAirways cancelled flights and I am sure USAirways will be compensated for there loss of revenue. Right?

Crews should be notified about the cancellations as soon as they go in the system. A go/no-go decision should have been made this morning and cancellations implimented this afternoon if the work is a go.

Acoording to my sources, the company strongly opposed the work being done during the operating day, but the nature of the work require 60 hours to accomplish. Not sure about the pay protection for crews.

PITbull said:
And when does the company tend to notify the crews??? And will they be pay protected? I am sure that the airport will be responsible for USAirways cancelled flights and I am sure USAirways will be compensated for there loss of revenue. Right?
[post="267547"][/post]​

Not to worry, Jerry Orr will take care of it. LOL

twoturnin said:
now now Boeing Boy --impacts on 23----thats my favorite rwy--BA used to slick the 777 on 23 all the time.
[post="267503"][/post]​

Ok, twoturnin, you're forcing me to be honest....

My impacts on 23 are the cause of the ruts at the intersection with 18L/36R :shock:

PITbull said:
[post="267547"][/post]​

Well, I found out that two legs of our trip (1 today, Tuesday, and 1 tomorrow) were cancelled when I checked in for the trip on Sunday. As for the pay protection, that's still up in the air, though CatCrew shows a loss of pay.

Just based on personal experience today, delays were minimal (10 minutes or so) until the thunderstorms moved in late in the afternoon.

Jim

Latest posts

Back