CNN Special: TWA 800

I was in third grade going into fourth when that happened, yet I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quite sad for the first hour but informative about the investigation in the second hour.
<_< ------ Programs like this just tend to reopen old wounds! Let's just say with all the people I've worked with in aircraft maintenance, from Uncle Sam, to TWA, and now even aa, everyone, with any aircraft experiance at all, says they don't believe for a second that an electrical short in the center fuel tank of that aircraft was the reason Flt.800 went down!!! :angry: How many people can say they've been in a center fuel tank of a 747? I can! Because I have!

What still puzzle's me, is the COVER UP.

A lone fighter pilot, with an itchy trigger finger, is one thing.
A whole crew of a sub, or ship, is another.

NH/BB's

Even the lone fighter pilot would not be the only one to know. The person who loaded his jet with weapons would see that one was missing upon the jet's return.
I don't doubt conspiracy theories but I do not readily accept them either.

More than a few people would know about it, and I doubt EVERY ONE of those people have no consience. If even a few members of the military knew something,at least one of them could've walked into any news station, go on TV and say "LISTEN, I WAS PART OF WHAT HAPPENED, I AM IN THE MILITARY, MY SUPERIORS THREATENED ME AND MY FAMILY TO KEEP QUIET,,,,BUT I HAVE A CONSCIENCE......"

Sorry, I don't buy it..

I also have worked overhaul and spent many a night in a fuel tank...I, as many mechanics I know, with many years experience such as you, MCI, believe that an explosion can happen in a fuel tank,,,,
Not passing judgement on FLT 800.....but we believe it can happen. It happened on a THAI Airways 737 in 2001.

My problem with all of this is that MORE than a few people on the "inside" would know about this....And for not one of them to go public with it,,,,puzzles me...

I have a real simple theory. If there were a cover, TWA would still be in business. Here's why. Not only would everyone involved in the whole schpiel have been tough to contain, but then you'd have a bunch of lawyers and managers at AA now who you'd have to contain. The gov't would have had to funnel money to TWA to maintain the cover of all the documents. Then you'd have to let the SEC & DOT in on it so that when TWA was filing false earnings statements, nobody would say anything. All this so that the gov't, who could easily afford the cost of the lawsuits etc., could remain clean.

Add to all that the fact that the plane doesn't have any area blown inward suggesting a missle entry...only areas blown outward from an explsion. I've met enought mechanics who've worked on the 747's and have been in the tanks to believe that a simple, tragic event occured.

What still puzzle's me, is the COVER UP.

A lone fighter pilot, with an itchy trigger finger, is one thing.
A whole crew of a sub, or ship, is another.

NH/BB's

What cover up?

Lone fighter pilot. As far as I know there were no armed fighters in the area that night. Also I would think that a fighter pilot would have a bit more discipline than locking on to an airliner with his radar or Sidewinders and playing "tag". Also since there was no damage from a missle strike on the aircraft it sort of kills the missle theory.

Subs, MK-48 torpedoes and Tomahawk cruise missiles are not the most effective anti-aircraft missile in the world.

Ships, this seems to be the favorite among the tin foil hat crowd. There are two problem with this. As stated before there was no missile damage to the aircraft. The conspiracy theorists will ahve you believe that a missile froma Navy ship "got way" and hit TWA 800. Here's the problame with that. The Standard missile that the Navy uses is semi-active. This means in order for it to hit something the target has to be illuminated by a fire control radar. In other words if a missile did "get away" all they would ahve to do is stop illuminating the target.

Does anyone else remember this rumor?

The government was buying TWA 2 new aircraft per month as part of the coverup!

<_< ---- Well, here's what we do know! The Government never did admit to an "ignition source"! The "Jet fuel" in question was "Kerosene"! Not "Gasoline! The "Slot" Flt.800 was flying, on that day, at that time, was normally flown by "EL AL"!!! And that's just for starters!---- I could continue, but all this is public record! I worked with people who were directly involved in the investigation, and they said there was no way that Aircraft could have come down the way the NTSB said! Cover up? My opinion! You bet!!! Could this have been the first shot on the war on terror? Clinton was running for re-election, this would be the last thing he would want to deal with! Why did the military get involved with this so quickly? Still a lot of unanswered questions! ;)

<_< ---- Well, here's what we do know! The Government never did admit to an "ignition source"! The "Jet fuel" in question was "Kerosene"! Not "Gasoline! The "Slot" Flt.800 was flying, on that day, at that time, was normally flown by "EL AL"!!! And that's just for starters!---- I could continue, but all this is public record! I worked with people who were directly involved in the investigation, and they said there was no way that Aircraft could have come down the way the NTSB said! Cover up? My opinion! You bet!!! Could this have been the first shot on the war on terror? Clinton was running for re-election, this would be the last thing he would want to deal with! Why did the military get involved with this so quickly? Still a lot of unanswered questions! ;)

Now you are disproving the NTSB?
The investigators include people with many more credentials than you and I.

SO why isn't it possible that AA 587 had it's tail section BLOWN off instead of just falling off?

Everybody knows someone who knew exactly what happened,,,,Everyone!

But none of these people marched into CBS, NBC, ABC, OR FOX AND SAID THIS IS WHAT I SAW,,,,,Sure they told the investigators who dismissed just about all of the eyewitness accounts...

SO WHAT DID ALL THESE PEOPLE DO AFTER BEING INTERVIEWED AND THEN DISMMISSED BY NTSB AND FBI INNESTIGATORS???????????????????????????

NOTHING EXCPET TELL THEIR FRIEND MCITRANSPLANT THAT THE GOVERNEMENT IS LYING!

HEY MCI? DID YOU ACTUALLY SEE OJ SIMPSON KILL HIS WIFE AND HER BOYFRIEND?

Hopeful...I remember that theory. It was pretty interesting and far fetched.

As for why the military got involved so quickly...for the same reason they did when JFK Jr crashed into the ocean. They're really the only organization equiped to recover items from those depths and manage the operation of such an undertaking.

Out of curiosity, who maintains the memorial in front of hangar 12 at JFK. Since AA never took over that facility, and I don't know of anyone else doing so...does it just sit out there or is the Port Authority doing something to maintain it. I think it's just as important as the one on the island given the amount of crew on the flight as well as the significance of the crash itself.

Well I watched the show and I'm still not any more convinced of the missle theory or the NTSB's theory.

The frightening part of the show was the puppet from the ATA who send that TWA 800 was a "watershed event" and that "we've learned from that and the maintenance is much better now." Last I checked United and NWA are the only US passenger carriers with 747's and both are outsourced overseas, and NWA has a bunch of useless scabs doing the line work. So is this the "better maintenance" the ATA puppet was talking about? :shock:

Now you are disproving the NTSB?
The investigators include people with many more credentials than you and I.

SO why isn't it possible that AA 587 had it's tail section BLOWN off instead of just falling off?
Everybody knows someone who knew exactly what happened,,,,Everyone!
But none of these people marched into CBS, NBC, ABC, OR FOX AND SAID THIS IS WHAT I SAW,,,,,Sure they told the investigators who dismissed just about all of the eyewitness accounts...

SO WHAT DID ALL THESE PEOPLE DO AFTER BEING INTERVIEWED AND THEN DISMMISSED BY NTSB AND FBI INNESTIGATORS???????????????????????????

NOTHING EXCPET TELL THEIR FRIEND MCITRANSPLANT THAT THE GOVERNEMENT IS LYING!
HEY MCI? DID YOU ACTUALLY SEE OJ SIMPSON KILL HIS WIFE AND HER BOYFRIEND?
----- Hopeless! You go right ahead and believe what you want! But with fourty years+ aircraft experiance, and some of that was on the TWA's 747's, that paticular Aircraft included, I'll stack my credentials up against any of them on that investgation and consiquental cover up! I'm not alone with this opinon! There were others that witnessed the crash and stated they saw something entirly differant than what was reported by our "Government"! And were told that they were mistaken and what they "really" saw was something altogether differant than what they had! These were Pilots, ex military people trained at observation, and were totaly blow off by the FBI, and NTSB! And do you really believe the Government "never" has lied to you? ;)

<_< ---- W Why did the military get involved with this so quickly? Still a lot of unanswered questions! ;)

As someone else has already pointed out the Navy is the one with the equipment and expertise in underwater salvage. Norfolk is just down the coast. There's your answer.

----- These were Pilots, ex military people trained at observation, and were totaly blow off by the FBI, and NTSB! And do you really believe the Government "never" has lied to you? ;)

Well the two pilots, a Virgin Atlantic and Eastwind, who actaully saw it explode said they did not see any thing like a missile contrail. Correct me if I'm wrong but were'nt Boeing and TWA involved in the investigation? Don't you think that if there was any indication it were a missile both would have jumped on it?