Contiental wants United to buy them

All these merger rumors are years old. I don't see it happening.

Yep, industry is the same ole thing, terrorism, 911, oil prices, LCC's, bankruptcies, losses quarter after quarter, year after year, massive employee concessions and some saying oil could top $100 ++....naaahhhh, I don't see noth'en happening it's the same ole thing...

..add another $40-50 or more to a barrel of oil if there's a confrontation with Iran, 'No Problem, the employees can take another 20-30% cut, that'll handle it.' :blink:

Yep, industry is the same ole thing, terrorism, 911, oil prices, LCC's, bankruptcies, losses quarter after quarter, year after year, massive employee concessions and some saying oil could top $100 ++....naaahhhh, I don't see noth'en happening it's the same ole thing...

..add another $40-50 or more to a barrel of oil if there's a confrontation with Iran, 'No Problem, the employees can take another 20-30% cut, that'll handle it.' :blink:

I agree with all of your points, logically it makes no sense, but I believe there is a greater dynamic, its called the banks, dollar velocity if you will, if you look at who is owed money by who, you will see alote of the same names, they are at risk irregardless of external events oil price etc. So pulling capacity out of the mix thru combining companies represents less risk. Tilton and company believe that UAL can currently do a deal to buy anyone in the industry, crazy, yea no doubt but financeable. Banks, foreign capital, leasing companies all want it. And once it begins in earnest AMR, whats left of DAL,NW,CAL will all join in. So the good old employees WILL be left holding the bag when the thing implodes. Very profitable for everyone except the employees.

I agree with all of your points, logically it makes no sense, but I believe there is a greater dynamic, its called the banks, dollar velocity if you will, if you look at who is owed money by who, you will see alote of the same names, they are at risk irregardless of external events oil price etc. So pulling capacity out of the mix thru combining companies represents less risk. Tilton and company believe that UAL can currently do a deal to buy anyone in the industry, crazy, yea no doubt but financeable. Banks, foreign capital, leasing companies all want it. And once it begins in earnest AMR, whats left of DAL,NW,CAL will all join in. So the good old employees WILL be left holding the bag when the thing implodes. Very profitable for everyone except the employees.

;)

terrorism, 911, oil prices, LCC's, bankruptcies, losses quarter after quarter, year after year, massive employee concessions and some saying oil could top $100 ++

I am aware of all that and I still don't think CAL and UAL are going to merge. The CAL/UAL merger rumors go back even before 911. Before that it was the Delta rumors etc. etc.

At this piont one of the big killers is the Northwest stake in the issue. They will not allow a merger. They have the final say. Until that issue is gone...I don't think it is going to happen.

If you think CAL and UAL are going to merge, great.

At this piont one of the big killers is the Northwest stake in the issue. They will not allow a merger. They have the final say. Until that issue is gone...I don't think it is going to happen.

If you think CAL and UAL are going to merge, great.
[/quote]Most CAL employees do not want to see a merger with anyone ,but I think the Northwest poison pill doesn't stop CAL from buying someone, it just prevents CAL from being bought.Kinda like when TI "bought" CAL .(with CAL's money due to some creative financing from Frankie) :down:

Latest posts