CWA Files for Representation Election

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
http://apsa6001.org/?p=365

With agents clamoring for a voice on the job and protections in these uncertain economic times, the Communications Workers of America on Tuesday filed for a representation election at American Airlines.
The NMB will determine whether or not there is a sufficient “showing of interest” among the agents for the election, and then set the dates.
“We applaud the determination of American agents to protect their futures through strong union representation. By joining the nearly one million member-strong CWA, American Airlines passenger service agents are taking the right step in preserving their careers.
“CWA will best represent the interests of American’s agents during the bankruptcy process and it is critical that these agents not be the only unrepresented work group as American restructures. The day they gain representation, American Airlines management must begin negotiating with their union and American’s agents will gain critical protections.

With agents clamoring for a voice on the job and protections in these uncertain economic times, the Communications Workers of America on Tuesday filed for a representation election at American Airlines.
The NMB will determine whether or not there is a sufficient “showing of interest” among the agents for the election, and then set the dates.
“We applaud the determination of American agents to protect their futures through strong union representation. By joining the nearly one million member-strong CWA, American Airlines passenger service agents are taking the right step in preserving their careers.
“CWA will best represent the interests of American’s agents during the bankruptcy process and it is critical that these agents not be the only unrepresented work group as American restructures. The day they gain representation, American Airlines management must begin negotiating with their union and American’s agents will gain critical protections.

Too late to gain a seat on the unsecured creditors committe.
I doubt that the agents are going to vote the CWA in. Almost every agent I have asked do not feel that they will gain much by joining a union. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people
Too late to gain a seat on the unsecured creditors committe.
I doubt that the agents are going to vote the CWA in. Almost every agent I have asked do not feel that they will gain much by joining a union. Good luck.
Nothing to gain a lot to lose

Reactions: 2 people
One thing they stand to lose is the monthly union dues.
You mean like the ramp pilots flight attendants and mechanics

Great idea decertify all unions at AA that will work out find for the employees no union dues for all who needs them anyway? Not you right

Reactions: 1 person
You mean like the ramp pilots flight attendants and mechanics

Great idea decertify all unions at AA that will work out find for the employees no union dues for all who needs them anyway? Not you right

Who's talking about decertifying unions? The way I'm reading this is the CWA is swooping in to take advantage of a situation, especially when everyone knows full well that they would not have a seat at the table.

Isn't this the same union that took Verizon workers out on a pointless strike for two weeks earlier this year? Do they even have a contract to show for it? No. What a waste. I don't know any agents who can afford to spend weeks on the picket line and gain nothing in return.

Isn't this the same union that took Verizon workers out on a pointless strike for two weeks earlier this year? Do they even have a contract to show for it? No. What a waste. I don't know any agents who can afford to spend weeks on the picket line and gain nothing in return.
After the bankrupisty court finishes with the employee groups at AA you are going to wish you had Verizon pay work rules benefits and retirement

Who's talking about decertifying unions?
One thing they stand to lose is the monthly union dues.
In order for you to do away with union dues you have to do away with the union

The way I'm reading this is the CWA is swooping in to take advantage of a situation, especially when everyone knows full well that they would not have a seat at the table.

Smart move it will kept management in line and at bay

When and if CWA is certified the agents will have a seat at the table

Wrong, wrong, wrong, JJ.

The creditors committee is set. There won't be changes to it.

I seriously doubt "it will keep management at bay" since the agents have always had more latitude than other groups.

I could care less if they go union, but it's not going to gain them anything they don't already have. It might wind up costing a few things. Agents have a pretty liberal TL policy right now, and it has helped avoided seasonal layoffs. Put a CBA in place, and AA will probably furlough instead of bothering to look for TL. Home-based Res would probably go away in a heartbeat.

But do go ahead and try. Isn't this the fourth or fifth attempt by either the CWA or the IBT?

The Verizon thugs thought they could undermine the company and disrupt normal operations but Verizon was chugging along unscathed. The CWA has outrageous demands that the company is in no position to support. The wireline business is declining while the non-union wireless division is flourishing. Hopefully the ground based customer contact workers will reject union representation. There is one agent at BOS that always wears the CWA pin and unsurprisingly she's rude and inefficient.

Josh

Wrong, wrong, wrong, JJ.

The creditors committee is set. There won't be changes to it.

I seriously doubt "it will keep management at bay" since the agents have always had more latitude than other groups.

I could care less if they go union, but it's not going to gain them anything they don't already have. It might wind up costing a few things. Agents have a pretty liberal TL policy right now, and it has helped avoided seasonal layoffs. Put a CBA in place, and AA will probably furlough instead of bothering to look for TL. Home-based Res would probably go away in a heartbeat.

But do go ahead and try. Isn't this the fourth or fifth attempt by either the CWA or the IBT?

The agents if certified will have a seat at the bargaining table with management and will be able to negotiate a contract like every other employee group at AA. It well be interresting to see how the bankrupisty courts will handle status quo if the agents certify CWA. The creditors committee is not were the contracts would be negotiate with labor.
What is a TL?

The Verizon thugs thought they could undermine the company and disrupt normal operations but Verizon was chugging along unscathed. The CWA has outrageous demands that the company is in no position to support. The wireline business is declining while the non-union wireless division is flourishing. Hopefully the ground based customer contact workers will reject union representation. There is one agent at BOS that always wears the CWA pin and unsurprisingly she's rude and inefficient.

Josh
And AA unionize employees do what? To get an industry leading contact. So if you wear a pin you can be rude?

And AA unionize employees do what? To get an industry leading contact. So if you wear a pin you can be rude
Oh I guess you never came across a NON UNION worker who was rude in your entire life?

Let me explain something to you.....Airline workers as a whole have born the brunt of getting screwed since deregulation. Tens of thousands of layoffs, paycuts, benefits and pensions lost....And your priority is getting that "special" treatment because you're so special.

If management was as wonderful and always right as some defenders like you believe, there would be no unions...or any desire for them.