CWA Files for Representation Election

I think it's pretty obvious that line maint has benefits at hubs, although how line maint is staffed is an open question. A separate job classification or by bidding it month to month are two possibilities. The bigger question is where else is having line maintenance beneficial enough to offset the cost. 20 mainline flights/day? 40-60-80-100 mainline a day? How many line mechs? 1 per 10 mainline flights? 2-6-10?

I don't think any carrier has line maintenance everywhere it flies, so the question is where a particular carrier (AA, UA, DL, US, whoever) draws the line.

Jim

I still have to stopped laughing at your post. AA will outsource and already have. They will not protect the agents jobs and don't care about them or any other employee. If they took care for them, then they wouldn't be working a gate for a full 767 from LAX-JFK solo. They also would not have put up thousands of this self check-in kiosks at the airports. Those kiosks have taken jobs away!

Either you drink Kool-AAid or work in AA management.
I was being sarcastic.I happen to agree with you.

Just an observation. I have noticed a few agents at Jfk wearing the CWA pin.
I have to be honest and say that those that I have seen wearing the pin are
the laziest agents that I have ever worked with at JFK.
I wish the agents luck and only they can make their own decisions,
I just can't see how the CWA or any unions on the American airlines
property do ANYTHING for us.

I forgot there is one thing they do every month.
They take money out of my paycheck.

the laziest agents that I have ever worked with at JFK

Not a unique observation -- I've noticed the same with people I used to work with at DFW. The ones who headed up organizing in the past tended to be perpetually bitter, always blaming the company for the fact they were still in an entry level position working nights and weekends after 15-20 years (and only because DFW was sooo senior that it took 20 years to hold half a weekend)...

Better educate yourself, there is no status quo obligation for a newly certified group.

Better go check AMFA vs Atlantic Coast Airlines, Lee Seeham lost a case and now there is no status quo for a newly unionized group without a CBA.

Case Law

I guess I should have said
"laboratory conditions"
and “good faith bargaining”

I wish the agents luck and only they can make their own decisions,

I forgot there is one thing they do every month.
They take money out of my paycheck.
Not a unique observation -- I've noticed the same with people I used to work with at DFW. The ones who headed up organizing in the past tended to be perpetually bitter, always blaming the company for the fact they were still in an entry level position working nights and weekends after 15-20 years (and only because DFW was sooo senior that it took 20 years to hold half a weekend)...

How about all those flight attendance pilots mechanics dispatchers and fleet service workers at AA that are union workers and wear a pin.And lets throw in all organizes labor employees at all airlines that wear union pins.Do you have a problem with having a voice with management?

How about all those flight attendance pilots mechanics dispatchers and fleet service workers at AA that are union workers and wear a pin.And lets throw in all organizes labor employees at all airlines that wear union pins.Do you have a problem with having a voice with managem
ent?

No not all. As long as you do your job well. I wear my union pin. But that does not negate the fact that the biggest loud
mouth and radicals are the lazy ones.

So it is your belief that all work group’s flight attendants pilot’s mechanics fleet service dispatchers need to decertify all unions because there is no use to them past present and future. It is also your belief that American Airlines would be a better place for frontline workers to work without unions. AA management past present and future will take care of employees

I've seen the same at BOS they are downright nasty, arrogant, and incompetent. Sadly many agents at Logan seem to support the election which isn't too surprising considering this historically a big union town. Interestingly enough, I'm yet to see an Admirals Club or Flagship lounge agent wearing the pins and I've been specifically looking. Hopefully AA's large presence in places DFW and MIA along with the reservations agents in RDU will help bring things in line.

Josh

I've seen the same at BOS they are downright nasty, arrogant, and incompetent. Sadly many agents at Logan seem to support the election which isn't too surprising considering this historically a big union town. Interestingly enough, I'm yet to see an Admirals Club or Flagship lounge agent wearing the pins and I've been specifically looking. Hopefully AA's large presence in places DFW and MIA along with the reservations agents in RDU will help bring things in line.

Josh
Wearing a pin and being represented by a union does not make you nasty, arrogant, and incompetent. How many work groups are represented by a union in the airline industry your unique observation is a hate for unions
At American Airlines the passenger service and reservations agents are the only group not represented, and so they are the most vulnerable. The pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and ramp workers have legal protections through their unions. The agents need the same legal protections.

Wearing a pin doesn't make you lazy, and I don't hate unions. But non-craft unions do tend to promote mediocre performance, such as doing just enough not to get fired.

"The agents need the same legal protections" yet they fared the best in the 2003 concessions. Go figure.

Wearing a pin and being represented by a union does not make you nasty, arrogant, and incompetent. How many work groups are represented by a union in the airline industry your unique observation is a hate for unions
At American Airlines the passenger service and reservations agents are the only group not represented, and so they are the most vulnerable. The pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and ramp workers have legal protections through their unions. The agents need the same legal protections.

Wearing a pin is unprofessional and insensitive towards the customer in my opinion. Your union "brothers and sisters" at Cathay Pacific provide legendary service and do not wear union pins. Even during the bitter strikes last year, BA UNITE members did not wear pins and maintained utmost professional service while on duty. Several Ritz-Carlton locations in the United States are union properties (including the fantastic NYC Central Park location) and provide excellent service. In a service business its not professional to subject customers to labor/personnel maters.

My experience at AA has been the Japanese speakers on the NRT flights do not wear the "Got Guts" pins and provide stellar service while the senior flight attendants are often downright nasty. I flew the new LAX-PVG flight recently with the CM speakers (24 years old) and they did a fantastic job, again no pin.

If the agents have fared well as it is why do they need a union? The IAM had their *** handed to them in the DL elections and many DL agents, even ready reserve are very happy with their current arrangement. All the other elections that decertified the unions have been upheld, and with 70% of ACS personnel rejecting representation its only a matter of time. DL's foresight in this matter is remarkable-ready reserve is a great way to have more heads on the payroll that are likely to reject union representation as they work very limited schedules and many use the position for the non-rev perks.

I maybe mistaken, but didn't CO outsource ramp and customer service positions at smaller stations when the IBT filed for an election? Hopefully AA will take a similar approach or use the unique opportunity they have in bankruptcy. I wouldn't mind seeing AA outsource significant agent positions as many of the contract agents I've dealt with overseas have been more pleasant and work just as well. BA outsourced all UK stations except LGW/LHR and the passengers don't seem to mind it.

Josh

But non-craft unions do tend to promote mediocre performance, such as doing just enough not to get fired.

"The agents need the same legal protections" yet they fared the best in the 2003 concessions. Go figure.
Oppose to craft unions ????? Justification makes you fell better. Good for you because you’re special.And why do think management threw agents a bone and keeps them at industry standard. Pay work rules and benefits can be change at a whim at American Airlines the passenger service and reservations agents are the only group not represented, and so they are the most vulnerable. The pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and ramp workers have legal protections through their unions. The agents need the same legal protections.

John John, you're obviously a legacy US employee who knows very about life as an AA employee, let alone as an agent.

And no, agents aren't the only non-represented group. They're the largest, but there are hundreds of others in a half dozen job classifications who aren't considered management and aren't in an agent classification.

Craft unions serve a purpose. CWA would probably be just as happy to organize bartenders and strippers as they would airport agents, so long as it resulted in dues income...

Latest posts

Back