CWA local elections for US Airways passenger service workers

I
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHEN AND WHERE OUR MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS ARE HELD AND WHEN ELECTIONS ARE HELD AS WELL THIS YEAR? .
You can lead a horse to water but can’t make them drink. Don’t count on being spoon feed
President Local 1171
John S. Hanson
1-877-526-1171 Toll Free
1-978-948-3511 Office
1-978-948-3551 Fax
EMAIL
http://www.cwalocal1171.com/
District 1- Local 1171
represents BOS,ALB,BDL,BTV,BUF,
EWR,LGA,MHT,PVD,ROC,SYR,JFK
[email protected]

Just a friendly reminder to keep on topic and do NOT make personal comments, insults or other remarks aimed at an individual.

Question: What is the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA)?

Answer: The LMRDA is a Federal statute that regulates certain aspects of internal union affairs. Labor organizations comprised wholly or in part of private sector or U.S. Postal Service employees are covered by the Act. The LMRDA includes a Bill of Rights for union members that guarantees union members rights such as the right to participate in union meetings and vote in union elections. The Act also contains reporting provisions that require unions to disclose information about their structure and financial condition, sets forth guidelines for conducting union officer elections, and provides safeguards for protecting labor organization funds and assets. The Department of Labor's regulations that implement the LMRDA are found in the Code of Federal Regulations at 29 CFR Parts 401-459.

Why is it that the local does not provide that information to ALL of the members and not just the ones that CALL or Email the local? Do we all have to call or email when we want to know about monthly membership meetings and elections? Don't we all get a letter mailed to us at home about nominations? I know we did when I worked under the IBT in CA for the airlines years ago. It would be easier for the local leaders to cover all of us instead of each and every call and email that comes through to the local. It has the appearance of being dishonest.
Not asking to be spoon "fed" just wanting to know why we cannot have a notice posted of meetings and elections in all of our work sites covered by the local in district 1? Can we also get a list of stewards for each work site?

Do we all have to call or email when we want to know about monthly membership meetings and elections? Don't we all get a letter mailed to us at home about nominations?
You are not everybody
Have you join the union by signing a card? This information is used to inform you
Are you on new hire probation?
Do you pay union dues?
Have you contacted the union? (your shop steward)

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and needed some info.
I work in NY at an airport for US Airways and was wondering about the upcoming CWA elections for our district. Does anyone know our current President, John Hanson? Has he ever had a local membership meeting? Has the local moved from Syracuse NY to Boston, MA? Can it be moved again if someone from another state runs for local President? We have someone in our work location that would make a great President. We need someone that is active and not retired in my opinion. Any info on when we can nominate someone and how it is done? I understand that this year is election year and we elect every 3 years.

I am Local 1171 and John is good fotr us. He handles a larg area. Velvet on the other hand should go. Never calls back and from what I hear she works for the company,
SHE HAS BEEN FORWARDING INFO ON MEETINGS TO THE COMPANY.
THIS IS LONG BUT I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.

I am Local 1171 and John is good fotr us. He handles a larg area. Velvet on the other hand should go. Never calls back and from what I hear she works for the company,
SHE HAS BEEN FORWARDING INFO ON MEETINGS TO THE COMPANY.
THIS IS LONG BUT I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.
this is what the membership needs to hear----FOLKS SHE IS FOR THE COMPANY.....

Now more than ever a strong union presence in PHL is an absolute requirement. I've seen the poopy-ka-ka before and it's just like the playground bully. The only way to stop them is to stand up to them.

thank you!!!!! Nicely said!!!

Does anyone know what happened in our Boston CWA local 1171 election? Has anything been posted from the election committee about who ran and who is now in place for the next 3 years? I heard that the local did not allow people to mail in nominations. All of the other CWA Locals for US Airways allowed this since they are spread out all over the place, I checked around. I heard that the district 4 members that are now part of our local were mad because the local Pres. refused to allow people to mail in nominations, they were told they had to fly to Boston on their own time and bring another person with them to nominate them. How did the current local Pres. arrange his time off to be there? Was he on union time off to do this? Isn't that a violation of the LMRDA rules? I find it very odd that the local would not allow this. They are limiting our democratic rights it seems. We have not seen any information here in my location in NY on this election. Is the web site updated with the info? This is the last thing I found online from the site. It is dated Sep. 2009???????? Last time I checked it was 2008 still. If the local Pres. authors this site, he needs to use spell check, it is embarrassing that he is the leader of our local and cannot even spell.
Here is the post, pasted it below and a link to our web site as well; http://www.cwalocal1171.com/

nothing here on our election that I can see.

September 2009

Hello All,

It has been a very busy time for the Local. Hope all are enjoying some of the summer. The north east has been getting slammed with thunder storms all summer. New England is about 6 inches above normal rain fall.

The Company is going as it always does three miles behind the eight ball. These new waver codes before you can even get the bag tag or the boarding pass just makes the process even longer and they have no clue. With picking up the work on the curb are lines seem longer and they are not giving us any additional help. Even though they were going to go over the numbers.

We have had several arbitrations and only one has been answered. We lost the boarding priority for retired agents. The Company won that one. We had one on the boarding priority on our spouses and children and have not heard anything on this one yet. I was in PHX for the pay freeze arbitrations and it went very well but the lawyers do not have to have their briefs in until The end of Sept. Hopefully it will not take to long for the arbitrator to rule in our favor.

The Company has come down hard on attendance, waver codes and any other items than can and have fired many agents system wide!!!! We have to be careful of these baggage waver codes the do not want them waived. If they are let a manager give his sign and have a witness to their approval. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR JOB ON WAIVER CODES !!!!!!!!! The company has given up on passengers getting any kind of customer service. We end up leaving people behind because we can not service these people fast enough. The company wants on time no matter whom it hurts. The customer is the one who ends up with the bum deal in the end. We always look like the bad guys.

We have several people fired in the last 6 months . Thankfully we have returned 50 percent back by fighting hard for these people. It is still not over for the rest but it is a long hard fight.

With all of the fuel problems and all the bull that is going on it is going to be a long hard summer. School will be starting soon and before you know it it will be holiday season again.
Remember we have carried this company on are backs for a long time and its not over.

I have made station visits to a lot of stations this year and will be making more visits before the end of the year. If I have not been to your stations it will be soon. The problems are the same in each station and working together we will get them resolved.

Having been elected the bargaining person for the airports I just visited CLE, Day and CMH. This Local may be joining us in the fall. We need to UNIT TO STAY STRONG!!! When it is your turn to vote do the right thing. Vote to join the Local 4404 to local 1171.

We have been working to resolve the dues problem with the company and CWA so hopefully we will get it all done by the end of the year.

Remember the UNION is YOU please help your stewards any way that you can . Hopefully we will be doing some training at the end of the years.

Remember CWA.net updates all that is going on alone with this web page. We are the last local with a toll free number if you call I will return your call. I am the only one in the office so when I am on the road it will take time to get back to you BUT I WILL. Also Your EVP Roger BETZ works afternoon ticket counter in LGA. Plus Jane Crompton your Sect Treasure works training in BOS days. So if you can not get ME one of us is around. Please leave a good message and number and we will get back to you!!!!!

In Unity,

John S Hanson

ya know what... you make me ill...I posted over 2 weeks ago the results of the election for 1171. So once again, whatever spin you are trying to make or partake of----sorrryyyyy......if you need me to email you the results---which is in form letter to the members of local 1171---your shop steward, once again, should have posted this---anyhow, I can email you this letter if you need.

try to get over yourself...whom cares if one can't spell??? The fight for what is right is ALL THAT IT IS ABOUT....sounds like you also either are Velveteens sister of BFF.

I heard that the local did not allow people to mail in nominations. All of the other CWA Locals for US Airways allowed this since they are spread out all over the place, I checked around. I heard that the district 4 members that are now part of our local were mad because the local Pres. refused to allow people to mail in nominations, they were told they had to fly to Boston on their own time and bring another person with them to nominate them. How did the current local Pres. arrange his time off to be there?

I was in district 4....so untrue What you post.. we just, just finished voting to join 1171. Effective January 1st...I was there to count the votes...probably the ones complaining are the ones whom did not take the time to vote....I guarentee you that this is a fact!!!! Out of over 350 memebers---68 votes.....so...blah...blah...blAH...

I heard that the local did not allow people to mail in nominations. All of the other CWA Locals for US Airways allowed this since they are spread out all over the place, I checked around. I heard that the district 4 members that are now part of our local were mad because the local Pres. refused to allow people to mail in nominations, they were told they had to fly to Boston on their own time and bring another person with them to nominate them. How did the current local Pres. arrange his time off to be there?

I was in district 4....so untrue What you post.. we just, just finished voting to join 1171. Effective January 1st...I was there to count the votes...probably the ones complaining are the ones whom did not take the time to vote....I guarentee you that this is a fact!!!! Out of over 350 memebers---68 votes.....so...blah...blah...blAH...

If you reread my post, instead of acting like a hothead, you would have seen my comment about "nominations" not votes. Is it true that you had to fly to Boston just to be nominated to run for a position and bring someone to nominate you? CAN YOU ANSWER THAT QUESTION PLEASE?

Another issue is that everytime I mention 1171 and the local leaders I keep getting comments about someone I have no knowledge of. Who in the world is Velvet?????? Is she a member of this local? Who is my staff rep here in district 1? I need to contact them asap about the violations of my LMRDA rights. How is it democratically fair that someone from another state, get off work, fly to Boston, pay for a hotel room to be there for an evening meeting to be nominated in order to run for office. Yet the local leaders in Boston can already be off the clock on union business and be close to home so as not to incur hotel and meal costs just to be able to run for a position in their local. WHY HAS THE LOCAL NOT POSTED THE INFORMATION ON THE WEB SITE WE PAY FOR WITH OUR DUES MONEY???? DID YOU GET FLOWN TO BOSTON FROM DISTRICT 4 ON OUR DUES MONEY TO COUNT THE VOTES? DID THEY PUT YOU IN A HOTEL ROOM AND PAY YOUR MEALS TOO?????? WOW, WHAT A JOKE YOU ARE. YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE, ALL YOU DO IS POST ON THIS PATHETIC WEB SITE. DID YOU NOTICE THAT YOU AND ABOUT 10 OTHERS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT POST ON HERE daily about our Union? HOW SAD.

Latest posts