Elections for CWA local officers at 1171

MMcsaJFK

Jul 6, 2011
I work in JFK. If I want to run for a position in my local do I need to fly to Boston for the meeting? I understand that other locals allow members to send a certified letter to be nominated. If our local covers so many locations, how do we stop the current officers from keeping this closed to us by not allowing us to do this without actually coming to a meeting? I know the local used to be in SYR and then when the current President won he moved the local to Boston because he lived there. if someone in JFK were to run for Pres. would the local be allowed to be moved here?

I looked up some info on the DOL web site and this is something I found;

http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/localelec/localelec.htm

Common Pitfalls
Failing to provide an opportunity to nominate to members unable to attend the nomination meeting due to work schedules, distance, etc.

Who do we notify if the local does not allow us to participate if we live too far or are unable to non-rev to the meeting?

Get a copy of your local bylaws
Your local should have Membership Meeting every quarter at different locations
Your local has an Election Committee find out who is on it and contact them

That is ridiculous that your local is in another state and no meetings in your area.

I flew through Philly last week and heard some disturbing info about the local there. Thier election was challenged a few years ago, I guess the woman who won did so by 1 vote. The challenger had to go to the DOL to get them to order another election. She hired an attorney to represent her against the DOL so she could keep her president position and has so far spent over $10,000 of the local members dues to try and keep her posiition. The DOL ordered another election and the challenger won. The local is still paying her legal bill...how can that be allowed???? Are the Philly members even aware of this????

I would venture a guess that most CWA members dont know much about their Locals. And sadly, those in charge for the most part like it that way. Too bad people send their money in (even if they dont have a choice), but refuse to get involved in any way shape or form. There are interesting things happening in quite a few Locals it seems. You'd think with all the issues, CWA National would take a closer look at the way the US Locals are run, but I guess as long as they get the money they dont really care how they are portrayed.

As far as your original question - ask for a copy of your Locals Bylaws. It states exactly what has to be done in order to run for office and the timeline required. Your Locals Secretary should be able to provide you a copy, or ask your Shop Steward or Area Rep to get you one.
Our Bylaws allow the location to be selected by the President subject to the approval of the Executive Board.
Also as a caveat, our Locals Bylaws require the President to be a Full Time Position which means you are not employed by US Airways (technically) during your term and upon leaving office you might not have a position available where you currently are. If this is an issue, be sure to ask someone to verify that this is the situation in your Local.
All of the CWA Locals were formed at the same time and most of the Bylaws are probably the same or very similar since they were all started at the same time.

Reactions: 1 person
I work in JFK. If I want to run for a position in my local do I need to fly to Boston for the meeting? I understand that other locals allow members to send a certified letter to be nominated. If our local covers so many locations, how do we stop the current officers from keeping this closed to us by not allowing us to do this without actually coming to a meeting? I know the local used to be in SYR and then when the current President won he moved the local to Boston because he lived there. if someone in JFK were to run for Pres. would the local be allowed to be moved here?

I looked up some info on the DOL web site and this is something I found;

http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/localelec/localelec.htm

Common Pitfalls
Failing to provide an opportunity to nominate to members unable to attend the nomination meeting due to work schedules, distance, etc.

Who do we notify if the local does not allow us to participate if we live too far or are unable to non-rev to the meeting?

We are tired of being ignored at JFK...getting a copy of the handbook sounds like the first course of action Finding out when and where the meetngs are held and getting employees to attend them would show strength in our convictions.

Latest posts