Dan Garton puts full blame on AA mechanics

So let me see if I have this right.....Southwest screws up with a major directive regarding issues that could cause the skin of the aircraft to rip off during flight, thus exposing passengers to possible death. Then they get called to DC to testify in front of Congress along with the FAA.

Then, the FAA in order to practice a little CYA starts a hardcore investigation of AA and the MD80's for a technical order about how to far apart some clips can be in the wheel well, claiming that it could cause a center fuel tank expolsion? Southwest acutally had some planes that did have fractures on the skin of the aircraft, but from where I'm sitting all I see is that the FAA and the Dallas office in order to show they have teeth to Congress is coming down on American Airlines when in fact Southwest is the one that actually put peoples life in danger......

Is that the jest of the issue..........

I am not sure about the Southwest stuff, can't speak to that. But from everything I've read about the AA situation/fiasco/chaos - here and elsewhere - it seems like basically, yes, this was much more a case of the FAA needing to help their image (now 200,000 travelers hate them, not just Jim Oberstar!) by going nuts with AA over what essentially looks like a paperwork issue.

From what some other posters here have described about first-hand experiences with the AD and how the maintenance work was originally done at TULE (perhaps some lacking of QA, etc.), it does appear that AA could have done a better job initially of handling the whole thing.

But the way this is being portrayed by the media - is fueled by the FAA - is just ridiculous. This has never been, and is not now, a safety issue: these planes were perfectly fine to fly and the FAA has admitted as much.

That is why this whole thing is so stunning: the FAA grounded 300 planes, inconvenienced hundreds of thousands of people, and wasted millions upon millions of dollars over something that posed absolutely no threat whatsoever to anything - except perhaps their jobs.

The twu international has finally spoken on the issue:

Dennis (I have my hand in Romano's pocket) Burchette says:

For Immediate Release
April 10, 2008

Statement by TWU International Vice President Dennis Burchette on Grounding of Flights at American Airlines

I have spent 22 years as a mechanic and quality assurance inspector at American Airlines, and I want to say unequivocally that our MD-80s are safe. This is more a compliance issue than a safety question.

Let’s be clear -- once the wiring harness was re-routed and then covered by a protective sleeve, the chances of any safety of flight issues were minimized. This particular engineering change order first came to light almost four years ago. Since then there have been approximately ten revisions! Since the Airworthiness Directive was issued there have been at least four revisions.

Hundreds of highly trained FAA award-winning technicians, the best in the business, with decades of experience, didn’t simply get it wrong. These changes have been a moving target.

Our members have been working around the clock to get these planes up in the air as soon as possible. We take our jobs and our responsibilities seriously. Our goal is to take planes that are safe and bring them into precise compliance.

Dennis Burchette is an International Vice President of the Transport Workers Union of America and responsible for the 22 TWU local unions on the American property. He is also a licensed aircraft mechanic and a former quality assurance inspector at American’s Tulsa overhaul facility.

The Transport Workers Union of America represents 200,000 retired and active members primarily in transportation, including 26,000 ground workers at American Airlines. The union is an affiliate of the AFL-CIO.

No, Nancy. This presented no more of a safety of flight issue than an empty plastic cup from a predeparture drink sitting in an empty seat would presents a safety risk during turbulence or an evacuation....

It is nit-picking and a witch hunt.
I'll bet the guy who didn't put the cap on the oxygen generators (that ended up on the ill-fated Valu-Jet flight) never thought that would be a safety-of-flight issue.

The point is, do it right, by the book, each and every time. No exceptions.

Hooray for the FAA.

While grounding the entire MD80 fleet due to relatively minor discrepancies (1 inch +/- .25) may seem a bit extreme, especially when in the past we saw an MD-80 dive into the Pacific killing all on board and the FAA continued to let the aircraft fly, I see this as a potentially good development for aircraft mechanics. Lets not forget how 737s were doing flips into the ground due to rudder malfunctions yet no grounding of the 737 fleet. The last time I saw such a large grounding of a fleet size was back when the DC10 fliped in ORD. So now they ground a fleet for something minor, but if they stay this vigilant if could be good for us.

If all future maintenance is held to the same exacting standards,AA will have to hire a lot more mechanics, they will actually have to buy the tools and consumables that their paperwork tells us to use and other airlines, since they too would come under similar scrutiny, will likely have to bring work back in house due to quality control issues. Needless to say the FAA will have to hire a lot more A&Ps as inspectors. All this is good news for aircraft mechanics. The demand for mechanics would be so high that even if oil went to $300/barrel we could get the pay and benefits we need. If the FAA holds firm with “make it exactly right or set it downâ€￾ policy it could be the best thing that ever happened for us.

So if you are an A&P don’t bash the FAA this time. Sure it seems petty but one of the things we were taught in A&P school is that sometimes minor, seemingly inconsequential things can be a link in the chain of events that lead to a major disaster. Despite decades of being subjected to “it flew in it’ll fly outâ€￾ returning to the basics shouldn’t be that hard and it could very well restore not only our professionalism but our financial well being as well.
One of the most sensible posts yet that has come out of this. I agree Bob. I have always been a by the book AMT. If you always follow the manuals, etc...you never have to worry about answering questions about your work in the future.

I am not sure about the Southwest stuff, can't speak to that. But from everything I've read about the AA situation/fiasco/chaos - here and elsewhere - it seems like basically, yes, this was much more a case of the FAA needing to help their image (now 200,000 travelers hate them, not just Jim Oberstar!) by going nuts with AA over what essentially looks like a paperwork issue.

From what some other posters here have described about first-hand experiences with the AD and how the maintenance work was originally done at TULE (perhaps some lacking of QA, etc.), it does appear that AA could have done a better job initially of handling the whole thing.

But the way this is being portrayed by the media - is fueled by the FAA - is just ridiculous. This has never been, and is not now, a safety issue: these planes were perfectly fine to fly and the FAA has admitted as much.

That is why this whole thing is so stunning: the FAA grounded 300 planes, inconvenienced hundreds of thousands of people, and wasted millions upon millions of dollars over something that posed absolutely no threat whatsoever to anything - except perhaps their jobs.

I would like to know why all the aircraft are getting the protective sleeve when the AD requires it for configuration 4 aircraft only?

Dennis Burchette is an International Vice President of the Transport Workers Union of America and responsible for the 22 TWU local unions on the American property. He is also a licensed aircraft mechanic and a former quality assurance inspector at American’s Tulsa overhaul facility.

He is also a sell out and UNELECTED int. officer.

Having direct contact with the issue.Having seen the AD in person. I am sure this is all political. The AD alowed a certain amount of leeway in the placement of the string ties on these bundles. The VP called them cords today on the news. I don't have it in front of me now but it did reference the locations of ties at 1" approx.

The AD has grown to a whooping 29 pages long at present. It always amazes to read comments derived solely from speculation. By persons hell bent on accusing people of wrong doing. And no these are not precise to the letter. That is why the FAA can continue to change and reinterpret the rule as they go along.The problem is the wording of the document.Now they have came out and said exactly what they will accept.But even the FAA is having a hard time in what they will accept.

If all of this was as black and white and as clear cut as you say it is none of this would have happened. I count myself proud to stand with the other AMT's in america. :rolleyes:

Cheers Title1

I heard a story last night ...

In Tulsa, an 80 was pronounced healed by an FAA inspector, then flown to ORD with the mechs and a few others to help those people out.

Upon arrival, a FAA inspector attempted to ground the aircraft for the wiring problem that was just fixed in Tulsa. The mechs had suspected this would happen and brought along documentation. After reading the papers the FAA inspector relented. RELUCTANTLY!!

If this is true, it would have been a fantastic time to have a reporter along, listening and taping, to show what a group of fools are inspecting the aircraft.

One can only wonder what would have happened with the ongoing dog and pony show produced by the FAA if someone with a set of 'nads like Crandall had were in charge of AMR. I can only imagine the unbelieveable level of hell that man would raise. Crandall was a first-class SOB, but he is the SOB I want on my side.

Instead, we have pussies like Arpey, Garton, and others attempting to pass themselves off as businessmen when they seem to be better suited to be someone's b$$$$.

What Garton had to say in a letter to the TWU:

Gentlemen,

I would like to apologize to you and every American Airlines mechanic who were left with the perception that I was "blaming" the mechanics for our MD80 AD challenges. The mechanics are not to blame. I know how hard our maintenance team has worked to fix this problem and I know they are highly skilled professionals. I am proud to be a part of the company in which they work and I would (and do) trust them with my life hundreds of times a year.

Channel 8 worked hard to create this "blaming" issue. I was actually asked who is to blame for this during the interview. I would like to share my answer to that, it is verbatim.

Q: People want to know who is to blame for this.

A: "American Airlines has to take responsibility for the disruptions they've experienced. We're very apologetic for that. I cannot say that more than I have. We're very sorry for it. We have to take responsibility for it.

In the end, it would have been our job to have followed the strict guidelines that were there. We felt, and our mechanics felt, that they had greater latitude. They did not, and that was our mistake".

The quote they included in the clip was part of my answer to the question "Did your mechanics not understand it or did they ignore it"? My answer - part of which was in the clip started "It's a relatively significant engineering change order. It's about 30 pages. The mechanics understood it. When they accomplished it, they took what I would call certain latitudes in accomplishing it. My example would be where they tied those cords".

I recognize that each and every day we rely on the judgment of our mechanics to interpret maintenance requirements in the repair of our aircraft. It appears to me that the FAA is revoking that latitude.

I am extremely sorry if this was taken as throwing our highly skilled and experienced mechanics under the bus. I think you all know me - I wouldn't try to do that.

Finally, one last quote, which of course Channel 8 chose not to include, "We have 80,000 employees working extraordinarily hard to solve this for the customers. I want to take a special moment to thank all of these people who have worked way beyond their normal hours and their normal jobs to accomplish this work".

That is how I really feel - I am sorry if I left any other impression in anyone's mind.

Dan

Anyone that has a basic understanding of the English language knows exactly what Garton said about the mechanics.

He can take three running jumps and go straight to hell (after picking up his bone-us check, of course, for a job well done - pffft!).

<_< ------ Doesn't it seem to you that FAA is overdoing this thing? Almost to the point that it makes me wonder why? I mean besides the obvious! Could it be that they don't want Congress to notice someone else? Maybe a closer look is needed at Southwest? Or Scab Airlines, Northwest? You know they were purposely asleep at the wheel during the strike! This is getting ugly!!!! :angry: And what about their oversight, or lack of, overseas maintenance???

<_< ------ Doesn't it seem to you that FAA is overdoing this thing? Almost to the point that it makes me wonder why? I mean besides the obvious! Could it be that they don't want Congress to notice someone else? Maybe a closer look is needed at Southwest? Or Scab Airlines, Northwest? You know they were purposely asleep at the wheel during the strike! This is getting ugly!!!! :angry: And what about their oversight, or lack of, overseas maintenance???

I agree.

I don't look for the government to keep me safe, except against foreign invaders.

For aircraft safety, I look to well-run airlines where the planes are maintained by professional mechanics and flown by pilots who would refuse to fly unsafe airplanes. In short, American Airlines.

Screw the FAA. Arpey couldn't say it yesterday (for obvious reasons), but the damn planes are no safer with the cords exactly 1 inch apart than they were with cords with spacing that varied slightly from that standard.

AA needs to worry about every other airplane that's subject to such non-critical tolerance standards.

Well, if you listen to what some of the wrenches are, there was a lot on this particular AD which wasn't necessarily in writing, and what was in writing kept changing.

I don't think anyone has a problem following the rules, but I do have a problem with the rules changing in mid-game.

The intent of the AD was followed, which is what matters in the end to most people. That message isn't getting out, unfortunately, because of all the scare-mongering in the media.
The Feds are under the gun, and AA just happened to be the nearest dog to kick. It's that simple. I'm hearing more and more of that from outsiders and independent bloggers. Eventually, the FAA's masters (Congress) will realize that as well, and go back to fixing the real problem instead of letting the FAA continue to use leeches and bleeding out to fight a hangnail...

Gotta agree with you on this one. Just watched the nightly news and they interviewed a pilot, discussing the wiring. He made a big deal about it and just happened to mention the wiring was next to the fuel tank.....WHICH IS 100% NOT TRUE! It's in the wheel well moron.

FAA is on a witch hunt and AA just happens to be thier "witch" this time.

The other thing that has me a bit up in arms (for lack of better words) is due to the affair between the FAA and SWA. The gov't gets up in the FAA's face, tells them to "FIX IT" (what ever the hell "IT" is???) so in turn they, the FAA, bullies up on AA. Now that AA has pulled hundreds of flights and causing havoc on the American public, Congrss seems to have no clue as to why. Can we say DUH?????

Gotta agree with you on this one. Just watched the nightly news and they interviewed a pilot, discussing the wiring. He made a big deal about it and just happened to mention the wiring was next to the fuel tank.....WHICH IS 100% NOT TRUE! It's in the wheel well moron.

FAA is on a witch hunt and AA just happens to be thier "witch" this time.

The other thing that has me a bit up in arms (for lack of better words) is due to the affair between the FAA and SWA. The gov't gets up in the FAA's face, tells them to "FIX IT" (what ever the hell "IT" is???) so in turn they, the FAA, bullies up on AA. Now that AA has pulled hundreds of flights and causing havoc on the American public, Congrss seems to have no clue as to why. Can we say DUH?????

Congress rarely ever has a clue when it comes to aviation. When wondering why flights are delayed, they always haul the airlines to explain themselves when the airlines have very little to do with it unless they purposely overschedule the airports (all of those RJ's at LGA anyone?). The reason why we have alot of these problems is because we have key airports that are in dire need of new runways, alignments to existing runways and new terminals, an ATC system that dates back to the Eisenhower administration, all of which are examples of a total neglect of infrastructure in this country.

I agree.

I don't look for the government to keep me safe, except against foreign invaders.

For aircraft safety, I look to well-run airlines where the planes are maintained by professional mechanics and flown by pilots who would refuse to fly unsafe airplanes. In short, American Airlines.

Screw the FAA. Arpey couldn't say it yesterday (for obvious reasons), but the damn planes are no safer with the cords exactly 1 inch apart than they were with cords with spacing that varied slightly from that standard.

AA needs to worry about every other airplane that's subject to such non-critical tolerance standards.

I agree 100% :up:

It could be malicious compliance.
Since the FAA has had their a$$ 'publicly' handed to them in a hat for giving latitude to SWA, they wanted to make a ‘point’ that if they were not allowed the flexibility, that planes do not fly.

Without providing all the data to us 'minions', they hold all the cards and the M&R are defenseless.

But it has nothing to do with politics... :blink:

B) UT

Back