Dave Siegel Issues Letter

flyonthewall

Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Strategic Alternatives

The following letter from Dave Siegel was issued today in a Special Bulletin:

Dear US Airways Colleagues:

The news media coverage over the past several days about our company has many people concerned and upset. Nevertheless, our focus must remain on our customers, who are the cornerstone for everything we do.

In my telephone message to employees earlier this week, I said that we were postponing employee meetings about a revised business plan and that the management team would have to consider other alternatives, given our financial obligations, including the federal loan guaranteed by the ATSB.

The subsequent media coverage has tried to connect dots, leading to rumors, speculation and assumptions. And let’s not kid ourselves – it is sometimes in the interest of our competitors to seize upon opportunities to whisper things that further those rumors.

So far in our restructuring effort, we have pushed back from the gate, but we still have to guide this company to the end of the runway and up in the air. The Board of Directors has a fiduciary responsibility to repay the federal loan, protect the interests of our shareholders, and to make this a successful and profitable airline. We must make decisions with those things in mind, and to evaluate how those decisions impact our financial commitments, our operations, and our ability to serve our customers – so that all of those factors come together profitably and you have a company to work for. That is exactly what we are trying to do.

It is not unusual for a company to engage an investment bank. And it is not unusual for a company to explore strategic alternatives, especially when it has specific financial commitments and obligations it must meet. We are facing a new competitive challenge with Southwest coming to Philadelphia and the rapid growth of other low-cost competition in other parts of our network. Furthermore, Standard and Poor’s today downgraded our credit rating and we cannot let that impact our ability to maintain the financing of the regional jets that are coming into our system.

If there are some ways to improve our balance sheet, we must consider those options. If there are some strategic partnerships that would enhance our financial standing, we must consider those as well. At the end of 2003, we had an unrestricted cash balance of approximately $1.29 billion. We cannot fritter that away, and we cannot fool ourselves into thinking we can simply spend that money, hope the world gets better, and not take necessary steps to remain competitive. But we do have the ability to proactively deal with the financial issues we face from a position of strength.

All of us should continue to focus on serving our customers. Any initiatives we might undertake must have them in mind by helping us improve our competitive position to provide them with the affordable, efficient service that they deserve. Our important corporate accounts and travel partners want assurance that we are dedicated to success. The ultimate goal is to successfully compete in the marketplace and grow the airline. I still remain hopeful that we can engage our labor leaders in constructive dialogue on the business changes necessary to better serve our customers. Remember that our alternatives involve managing our financial commitments so that we can continue to implement our restructuring plan.

Sincerely,

Dave Siegel
President & CEO

And this means? I read a lot of side stepping and side talk. Lord what a mess!
Dave...just start your road shows and tell us wha the heck the "PLAN" is. We will deal with our unions and tell them what to do....k?

What I find the most ironic about this letter is that Dave tells us to remain focused and concentrate on the customers (a given for any customer contact job). While he says that, Dave B is out speaking to the press and creating a hysteria about the state of the company. I ask you Dave, if you were a customer, and you read all of the articles in the paper over the last week, would you book a ticket on US for your travel plans in the spring or summer?

Fighting in the media isn't going to help the situation. Show the employees the plan and let's get on with it already.

:up: Does this mean that the employees that lost there ramp jobs in STL BTV
MEM AND STL WILL GET THERE MAINLINE EXPRESS JOBS BACK INSTEAD OF
CONTRACTING IT OUT.

:up: Hey Dave does this mean fleet service agents will get there jobs back
at SDF BGM STL MEM DAY AVP BTV AS MAINLINE EXPRESS OR MID ATLANTIC
instead of having them driving all over the country. The company should have
never did this to these people ,they should have been given the same opportunity the agents in CLE MKE ABE SRQ PWM THAT WORK THE RAMP.

My suggestion would be to have whomever is saying these things to the press in an effort to negotiate via the media to stop it. All you are accomplishing by doing this is aggravating the people that you need to keep on your side, namely the banks AND the employees. These are the groups that kept this airline afloat this long (with little help from this visionless BOD and management team). Now, the gloominess of all these releases to the press has resulted in lower debt ratings, with another reduction quite possibly right around the corner. This makes ANY sort of financing MUCH more expensive (if it's even available to UAIR at the lower ratings), while significantly reducing the value of any of UAIR's assets. Making these statements to the press is just plain STUPID, no matter who is doing it! Even Steve and Rakesh knew the value of putting some lipstick on this pig. Now, UAIR won't be able to get passengers in the very important 2nd and 3rd quarters since everyone with any sense will be "booking away" from UAIR. :blink:

I appreciate that Dave is keeping the employees informed on this issue. I do believe that labor will work with management. I have lost faith in my IAM officers and will do what it takes to save this company, even if it means more concessions.

Most of my fellow mechanics feel the same way, at least in the PIT hanger. They understand that there are few choices for us if Bronner liquidates the company. There is a growing sentiment of support for Dave within the hanger. The IAM has failed me and my fellow brothers. It is time to sign on to this new business plan so we can fight the competitors.

Lets give Dave a chance with this new plan! The PIT mechanics are ready to work with this management team.

Dave:
All you talk about is repaying the loan and the financil obligations. How about your obligation to your most valuable asset YOUR EMPLOYEES. How do you think we feel when we've been lied to, our contracts are broken employees are on food stamps morale rock bottom. We come come to work every day & try, however it is just impossible under these circumstances.
JUST TRY TELLING THE TRUTH ONE TIME IN YOUR LIFE. Lets go with the road show & let us decide.

Industry Observer said:
I appreciate that Dave is keeping the employees informed on this issue. I do believe that labor will work with management. I have lost faith in my IAM officers and will do what it takes to save this company, even if it means more concessions.

Most of my fellow mechanics feel the same way, at least in the PIT hanger. They understand that there are few choices for us if Bronner liquidates the company. There is a growing sentiment of support for Dave within the hanger. The IAM has failed me and my fellow brothers. It is time to sign on to this new business plan so we can fight the competitors.

Lets give Dave a chance with this new plan! The PIT mechanics are ready to work with this management team.
Very Amusing :D This has (Company Suction Cup written all over it !) You people can do better than this. :rolleyes:

Industry Observer said:
I appreciate that Dave is keeping the employees informed on this issue.
Informed on the issue? WHAT? Where in the above message from Dave did you get any information about "the plan"? There was no information in his message at all.

Bring the plan to the employees! :angry:

Industry Observer said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG

I work in the hangers EVERYDAY and you are blowing smoke just like pitguy said...BEWARE of incognito newbie posters.

This management team is relentless with the subversive propaganda such as we read here. Labor has never been more united against such blatant disregard of the contracts we signed in good faith. The kind of tactics we are reading here only serves to undermine an already tempestuous labor management relationship.

Try some good old fashion honesty, it might just work!