Dave want's more $$$$

This isn't about trying to destroy labor. This is about trying to save THIS airline. If you can't differentiate that you are truly out to lunch.

Tell this to the US agt in PA. who just committed suicide after being told of a layoff!

There have been several people who did the same thing in the SSB building at Pit. It's very strange that the people with all the brains and pocket money from the bonuses for their brains have not look into this! I am talking several people in the last couple years alone.

Labor costs have already been cut about as far as they can go and it's now a revenue, not a cost problem. If the airline can not survive with the current employee compensation packages (with perhaps a few more minor changes) in place then the airline is not going to survive. Unfortunate, but true.

I want all employee groups to remember what the company wanted from them orginally during the contract renegotiations. Do not be surprised when all is said and done that is what you will be at salary wise and benifit wise. And don't think for one moment that once we get back down to the company's wish list that they will not be anymore layoffs. More to come. The company is going to get what they want one way or another. The rape of labor will continue. Chip made mention that these requests when it comes from management will be short term I disagree. It (if it passes) will be long term. Some of you might wonder what you will get in return. Let me answer that question in what we have heard many times in res prior to becoming unionized......YOUR JOB!!!!!! Yes many of us are fed up with what is going on in the land of baloney (CCY) and are tired of being told that things will change. Still waiting to see a more employee friendly managment which I doubt I will see. In res they keep on coming up with new metric guidelines that are getting just totally azzinine. Guess the next metric guideline will be how much time is spent in the bathroom. Opps should not of made that comment guess that will be the next metric. Yea right...an employee friendly managment change. Still waiting and got a feeling will be waiting quite some time to see that.

I was willing, along with the rest of my coworkers to do my part to help management save our company. I was truly angered at the $6 Million bonuses to retain bright and talented managers but thought maybe things had changed. So far, I haven't seen those bright and talented ones make very good decisions. The very worst came from Ben B. The letter written to our most frequent flyers was insulting. At the very least it was a public relations disaster. I heard so many complaints from my US1, US2 and US3 pax those first few days, I was ready to cry.

Bright and Talented management should be listening to what our customers are saying and acting on that information. Our business travelers often have unavoidable changes in their business days and should not be further gouged. What is the harm in allowing our FF's to stand-by for an earlier flight on the same day? Isn't the good will worth far more than a measly $100? Or allowing a standy by for a later flight, if they call in advance?

I'm sorry, but I don't think coming back to the employees who have already given up so much is an indication of talent. It just seems lazy to me.

In the past few weeks, I've seen our employees maintain a good attitude, work very hard in difficult circumstances to keep this airline running an outstanding operation. We want our airline to keep its excellent standings in on-time performance and customer service. Most of us are still willing to go that extra mile to accomodate when and where we can. When is this bright and talented management going to do the same?

Cav & Mrplanes:

I agree with both of your well-writtne posts. The union financial advisors have direct access to the books and in the case of ALPA, the pilots have a board member.

There are no secrets. In my employee group, I trust our leadership and I believe in the end all of the employees will do what is required and no more.

If an employee has a better option they will leave US employment. If they don't they will stay employed at US.

Nobody likes this situation, but the financial crisis is real.

Chip

Chip,
One of the first mistakes that Daves new groupies did was the fare rule changes. How long did they go before they had to eat crow , a week if that long. Then they reinstated the accrual of miles towards status regardless of type of ticket purchased. Did you miss that ere in judgement. This is Daves new talent! Go ahead, give em that bonus. Company's need to keep those headhunters away. Unless you just like abuse, keep on pushing this new talent to all us folks who are gettin by.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/20/2002 7:50:53 AM KCFlyer wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 10/20/2002 7:29:52 AM usfliboi wrote:

What thriving airline will they be recruited to ?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

When you're in managment, it doesn't have to be the same industry. Had a telecom exec leave to head up Waste Managment. Lou Gerstner knew nothing about computers, and you had a NW executive head over to Burger King. They, unfortunately deal in "theory" and "missions". I still say a high school dropout with a passion for the industry could run rings around what passes for managment these days. [/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]
You mean these knuckleheads can go to other industries and screw them up, too??!!
11.gif']

If a person has an MBA, that knowledge can transfer to virtually any business industry. That makes people highly marketable, even if the airline they're working for is in Ch.11.

Couldnt the same be said for any skilled worker? There is still going to be a market component, coming from a company that was into Chapter 11 is not going to be a plus on the resume. Hiring such a person would be damaging to the morale of their future subordinates at other companies. First they will be annoyed that they didnt get the promotion plus-He screwed up that company now he is here to do the same to ours.
The bonuses are completely unjustified. Its a stupid move on Daves part. It shows lack of commitment on their part and a lack of backbone on his.

MCORORES;
As much as I like the BOSS I think the WHO had a song with more relevant lyrics;
“Here comes the new boss, the same as the old boss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I get on my knees and pray, WE WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN! From Who’s next-1977
It should be the theme song for airline workers.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/21/2002 3:28:59 PM UAL777flyer wrote:
[P]I agree, there is an excess on the job market today.  But my point was that an individual with an MBA and experience using it is marketable in any environment.  Of course timing is everything.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Ain't life funny...a guy who drops out of college is usually considered a deadbeat, yet a college dropout started the largest software company on the planet. And an MBA who runs a company into bankruptcy is still considered to be marketable in another industry. There's a hecuva lot of MBA's who used to pull down six figures in the telecom industry who have had to settle for a job as a teacher paying $30K per year. [/P]

I agree, there is an excess on the job market today. But my point was that an individual with an MBA and experience using it is marketable in any environment. Of course timing is everything.

Of course there are exceptions to everything. But by and large, a person with an MBA and a good deal of experieince putting it to use is going to be very marketable across many other industries. I'm not saying everyone with an MBA is a business genius. That would be ludicrous. And most companies are smart enough to realize that just because a person worked for a bankrupt or defunct airline, doesn't mean he or she was directly responsible for it. There are plenty of talented people who end up working for businesses that fail.

But if you think that head-hunting firms don't raid the talent pool of companies in bankruptcy, you're crazy. It does happen.

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/21/2002 4:55:08 PM UAL777flyer wrote:[BR][BR]But if you think that head-hunting firms don't raid the talent pool of companies in bankruptcy, you're crazy.  It does happen.  ----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]Oh, I don't dispute that....but I stand by my statement that a high school dropout with a passion for the airline business would do better (and work cheaper) than some folks currently in managment. This gotta pay to retain talented people may be what keeps failing entities failing...there may well be some talent there, but they obviously haven't been the ones steering the ship. And to retain those who have steered the ship into the rocks by giving them more money can rightfully be viewed as throwing good money after bad. After all, when they throw in the towel and shut the doors, they will have their bonuses, then put out their resume to become an executive at a golf ball manufacturer. In other words...they have no skin in the game at all. Many of their unskilled (and I don't use that term in a deraugatory sense) workforce will find themselves struggling to make ends meet. [BR][BR]Call me naive, but to even think about giving managment bonuses in an industry that has historically had poor labor/managment relations and after the labor force has agreed, however reluctantly, to agree to some pretty stiff pay cuts and benefit concessions, is as good as signing the death warrant for the company.