[Distribution is authorized in any forum – PG]

Captain John Prater
President
Air Line Pilots Association
1600 Massachusetts Ave
Washington, DC 20001

May 22, 2007

Dear Capt. Prater:

My name is Peter Gauthier and I have been a member in good standing for 27 years, all with USAirways. My seniority number is 375 and you might think I don’t have a dog in this fight. That would be a mistaken assumption.

Capt. Prater my ALPA service is long and distinguished. I began service as the Council 138 Secretary/Treasurer, have served on the USAirways Negotiating Committee for six years, served two consecutive terms as the USAirways MEC Chairman, served as the Chairman of the National Collective Bargaining Committee, and finally served as the Captain Representative for Council 41 where I was privileged to Chair Committee 1 at the Board of Directors.

To say I have been around the block and understand the processes within ALPA would be an understatement. I understand legal issues, I understand fairness, and I understand courage.

Capt. Prater, I was present at the Board of Directors when the Board modified the Merger Policy to delete the reference to date of hire and created new guidelines for merger policy. I believed it was a mistake then and I do now. It has created confusion and chaos. The history of this issue is that the Delta and Northwest pilots MEC’s favored a ratio method of integration; the United, USAirways and TWA pilots believed in a pilot’s date of hire as a core union value in determining seniority. The United pilots MEC decided to abandon this core value in favor of their self-interest and joined the pilots of Delta and Northwest in revising the fundamentals of the merger policy. So that’s the history, it’s one of trading core union values for self-interest.

The USAirways MEC has acted properly in bringing this matter before the Executive Council. Why? Because the results of the Nicolau award are so obtuse, that they defy reason. The results defy core union values. The results defy basic fairness. The results defy the spirit and intent of merger policy.

It is simply not reasonably that an AWA pilot who was on probation at the time of the merger would be placed senior to a pilot with 16 continuous years of service with USAirways, some of which was as a Captain.

It is simply not reasonable that an AWA pilot who was 9 years old when the USAirways pilot who is just junior to him on the arbitrated list began his uninterrupted service as a USAirways pilot, some of which was as a Captain.

It is simply not reasonable that pilots on the certified seniority list, covered by the CBA, and actively flying the E170 in the service of USAirways should be stapled to the bottom of the seniority list.

Capt. Prater, you know in your heart, as does any person of reasonable intellectual honesty that this award simply doesn’t pass the red face test. The USAirways pilots stood by ALPA when our pay was dramatically cut in bankruptcy and our pensions were lost. The USAirways pilots stood by ALPA when retiree’s health benefits were lost; The USAirways pilots stood by ALPA, when the next bankruptcy resulted in yet another dramatic cut in pay, downgrades and furloughs; Through all of this, the USAirways pilots stood by their union.

Capt Prater, it is simply not reasonable to expect the USAirways pilots will tolerate having their seniority, promotions, pay and retirement contributions (DC Plan contributions are tied to earnings), and lifestyle decimated at the hands of their own union. If the airline managements had imposed this, you would be the first to lead the charge to shut down the industry – now here we are facing the same effect – but at the hands of our own union. The essence is the fair interpretation and application of merger policy.

Upon examination of this list I do not and cannot believe that you nor any member of the Executive Council can conclude it is fair, balanced, nor comports with the spirit and intent of the Merger Policy Principles. You have the right, authority and duty to make the determination of whether arbitrator Nicolau followed the intent and spirit of the policy. If you determine he did not, you then have the right, authority and duty to set it aside. It simply takes the courage to do what’s right.

Capt. Prater you and the Executive Council are receiving legal advice from the best legal minds in the country. They are going to give you great legal advice. What they cannot give you is courage – the courage to stand up and overturn what is clearly not fair; The courage to interpret the Merger Policy Principles in the context of the extremis that will be suffered by USAirways pilots at the hands of ALPA should this award be sustained.

Capt. Prater, as MEC Chairman I lead the USAirways pilots against a hostile attempt to decertify the Association on the USAirways property. I believe in ALPA, and that’s why with a seniority number of 375 and unscathed by the award, I do have a dog in this fight. My dog is ALPA itself. I along with the rest of the USAirways pilots from the top of the list to the bottom expect you to be a courageous leader, we expect you to be a champion of fairness and we expect you to reject this obtuse award.

To do otherwise will demonstrate to the USAirways pilots that ALPA has been relegated to fraternity status where self-interest reigns over fairness – where legal expediency reigns over justice; and that would be unfortunate, and indeed a fraternity not worthy of membership.

Sincerely,

Capt. Peter J. Gauthier
Former Chairman, USAirways MEC
Seniority Number 375

Dear Captain Prater,
my name is deleted by mod and when I don't get my way I like to rant and rave and then pick up my toys and go home.

Pete,

Thank you for your letter, and thank you for sharing it with us. In the past, we have been somewhat at odds. As the years have rolled by, I have had the pleasure of riding your jumpseat, and reflecting upon the change of times. I am thankful that those positive experiences have taken the place of the times where we did not see eye to eye.

I was pleased to see you at the sim center a couple of weekends ago. I was glad that you had the chance to meet my wife and kids.

Best to you and yours. Thanks again for your efforts in this matter.

Best Regards,

Mr. Furlough....

Dear captain Prater,

Please be advised that the pilots of AWA can and will bring forth 1900 DFR lawsuits against this union if this interfering does not cease. Section 45 of the ALPA merger policy was specifically put in place to remove ALPA from the process. While we all can sympathize with Captain Gauthier's feelings we can not be swayed by his position. Section 45 of the merger policy was in place at the time of this decision by a neutral third party and the other side was fully aware of said policy. They had no problems with the members of the panel or their case but to now argue that they were treated unfairly is absurd.

I could go on but I think you get the jest of where this is going. There is no way ALPA will put itself in harms way for the east pilot group as the alternative would forever cripple this union. Time to move on and get some pre bankruptcy rates, because that's all that's left...

While Captain Gauthier makes an eloquent and emotional argument as to why he believes the award is a mistake he fails to understand that despite his arguments and effort to the contrary his basis of objection is not part of ALPA policy.

If the old merger policy was still in effect then Capt. Gauthier would be spot on. But he lost that argument years ago despite his best efforts. Rather than try to change what is unchangeable he needs to re-engage with ALPA to change the policy going forward. That is his real argument. He is not arguing against the arbitrator's decision, he is arguing his opinion that the current policy is not adequate for the current times.

I think that is what most of the east pilots are arguing and I think you have a good basis. But the current policy is what is in effect and it is the only policy the mediator had upon which to base his decision.

Rather than look out for own immediate self interest why don't we do what all great leaders in history have done and try to make things better for those that come after us. It is too late for us but not for those who follow in our footsteps. Once the east realizes, accepts and makes that argument then you will have regained my respect and trust.

Bob

While Captain Gauthier makes an eloquent and emotional argument as to why he believes the award is a mistake he fails to understand that despite his arguments and effort to the contrary his basis of objection is not part of ALPA policy.

If the old merger policy was still in effect then Capt. Gauthier would be spot on. But he lost that argument years ago despite his best efforts. Rather than try to change what is unchangeable he needs to re-engage with ALPA to change the policy going forward. That is his real argument. He is not arguing against the arbitrator's decision, he is arguing his opinion that the current policy is not adequate for the current times.

I think that is what most of the east pilots are arguing and I think you have a good basis. But the current policy is what is in effect and it is the only policy the mediator had upon which to base his decision.

Rather than look out for own immediate self interest why don't we do what all great leaders in history have done and try to make things better for those that come after us. It is too late for us but not for those who follow in our footsteps. Once the east realizes, accepts and makes that argument then you will have regained my respect and trust.

Bob

Well said Bob,

Time we move on people, there's money on the table...

Well said Bob,

Time we move on people, there's money on the table...

No there isn't. And this is no time to move on. That's like saying, yea..there was a bank robbery yesterday, but hey, that's in the past.

There will be no "moving on". Not as far as I, and many others are concerned.

It's simply not that easy to rob one of your own fellas.

To bad the US Airways pilots will never move on. Either the Award is changed or:

- ALPA could be decertified on the East property.

- ALPA could be decertified on the West property.

- There will be no joint contract. Furthermore, signs of this are already happening with Scott Kirby and the East JNC cancelling joint negotiating sessions, which will happen again-and-again.

- Current East and West flying protected by the Transition Agreement, but for future growth on the EMB-190 and Europe the East encouraging "whip sawing" of the West pilot group.

- East pilot recalls and growth up the seniority list will continue at a very fast rate (386 pilots added to the East list from January 1 through July 1 and none to the West list).

- Potential lawsuit filed against ALPA for not adhering to ALPA Merger Policy and passing a list on to the company that has errors.

- East pilots seeing meaningful pay raises while West pilots have none.

- West pilots entering Section VI negotiations, which could last for years and then ultimately ending up in a strike with 60% of the combined pilots bound by their contract and would fly through the West strike.

- A toxic relationship so bad that the company eventually fails.

Finally, as Walmartgreeter indicated the majority of the East pilots do not care if there is a new contract and they are glad that Scott Kirby and the East JNC is not participating in new contract talks!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

<YAWN>

:wacko:

To bad the US Airways pilots will never move on. Either the Award is changed or:

- ALPA could be decertified on the East property.

- ALPA could be decertified on the West property.

- There will be no joint contract. Furthermore, signs of this are already happening with Scott Kirby and the East JNC cancelling joint negotiating sessions, which will happen again-and-again.

- Current East and West flying protected by the Transition Agreement, but for future growth on the EMB-190 and Europe the East encouraging "whip sawing" of the West pilot group.

- East pilot recalls and growth up the seniority list will continue at a very fast rate (386 pilots added to the East list from January 1 through July 1 and none to the West list).

- Potential lawsuit filed against ALPA for not adhering to ALPA Merger Policy and passing a list on to the company that has errors.

- East pilots seeing meaningful pay raises while West pilots have none.

- West pilots entering Section VI negotiations, which could last for years and then ultimately ending up in a strike with 60% of the combined pilots bound by their contract and would fly through the West strike.

- A toxic relationship so bad that the company eventually fails.

Finally, as Walmartgreeter indicated the majority of the East pilots do not care if there is a new contract and they are glad that Scott Kirby and the East JNC is not participating in new contract talks!

Regards,

USA320Pilot