Delta Liquidation

Jan 14, 2004
With a loss of over $1 billion, upset pilots, and low revenue winter coming, which routes do you think United will try to take if/when they liquidate?

Articles like the one below only add to the speculation.

A few points from Holly Hegeman's Planebusiness Banter

Delta finally announced earnings last week, not sure the adage "better late than never applies here. It probably would have been better if the airline had simply skipped this quarter, all things considered. For the quarter, the airline posted a net loss of $1.13 billion.

Big red flag ... The airline ended the quarter with only $1.4 billion in unrestricted cash. Going into the bleak winter months, this is not a lot of money. For the first nine months of the year, Delta has now lost $2.6 billion.

The situation at Delta is much worse than the situation we have at Northwest or at United Airlines. The situation at Delta runs deep and it runs throughout the airline's management ranks. And it certainly runs through the airline's revenue management group.

This airline, as it has proven over the last year, does not know how to make money.

The airline finds itself with aging airplanes with aging interiors, a fractured brand, thanks to Song, huge regional jet exposure, and no clue as to how to make money. Oh, and let's not forget that because management waited so long to file for Chapter 11, there are no more assets to collateralize.

This airline could collapse. And it could collapse pretty quickly. Bottomline, this airline is in deep trouble. On many fronts.

Not much to like in Delta's third quarter numbers. Worse yet, don't see indications anywhere that management knows how to improve the situation.

DBM,

I think it's inappropriate to speculate how one airline would benefit by the demise of another, even if it's just to generate "discussion". We all know that this is a very sensitive subject and wish that all would respect the delicate position all our friends at DAL now find themselves. Working for UAL I can tell you first hand over the past three years how such "innocent looking" speculation fuels the anxiety felt by all employees of the airline in question.

How about this. In the spirit of the season how about giving it a rest untill we go a lot further down the BK highway and if/when something more material surfaces then weigh in.

Wishing all my buds at DAL the very best! God Speed!

Merry Christmas,
Z B)

United would be in no position to do anything. I think it would be a long shot for such things to happen but the only thing they could try would be to transfer TLV or some of the "other" routes they bought from TWA a while back. The sad part is that these two do not overlap all that well on a competitive level.

<<I think it's inappropriate to speculate how one airline would benefit by the demise of another, even if it's just to generate "discussion". >>

ZMAN777,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thank you for stating this.

Funny thing is that the posters that take pleasure in others turmoil tend to either vanish or lose all credibility. (North by Northwest, WorldTraveler and mrfish3726 comes to mind, and the new one, MMB, is a hybrid of all of them.)

Wishing our colleagues at Delta all the best,

Globetrotter11

The best way to stick it back to the likes of WT is not to stoop to their levels by posting this.

Let events play out in real-time. You know WT will get more desperate in his posting just like he did when he suddenly was in love with United's accomplishments in CH11.

I wish everyone at DAL the best.

I don't think the Delta employees have anything to worry about, it might be wishful thinking but then again who knows, I'm betting on a Delta/Northwest merger or buy-out. In my opinion United Airlines isn't even a contender in any type of dealings with Delta.

Eeeewwwww.

First the NW board. Then it spread to the AA board. Please don't infect the UA board too.

Eeeewwwww.

First the NW board. Then it spread to the AA board. Please don't infect the UA board too.

He's got almost as many posts as you, despite registering just three months ago. Your posts, unlike his, are worth reading.

His - well, he certainly has a knack for keeping them content-free.

> Not much to like in Delta's third quarter numbers. Worse
> yet, don't see indications anywhere that management
> knows how to improve the situation.

They don't want to know because a big part of it hits too close to home.
A good (bad) number of Delta management attained their positions through shirttail promotions. A few years back they hired someone from GE as their new CFO. (His #1 task was to figure out why they were loosing money when indicator were that they should be making *something*. The first thing he came up with was that Delta was (is) MUCH to top heavy, and suggested they start by trimming management by 1/3 to start. Very shortly after that they had to fire this CFO for (drum roll) abuse of flight privileges.

MB

Deleted By Moderator,

You question is a "senitive" one, as pointed out by others.

However your question is a fair one.

(since my "belief's" do not include christmas or new years, I will RESPECTFULLY answer your question)

Airlines who fly into ATL would instantly beef up their flights from their hubs. Air Tran would become a medium(small) major player, and AA would cherry pick the JFK/Europe flts. (Example JFK/ATH)

NH/BB's

Just curious NH/BB, what would happen to all the Delta employees in this grand scheme of yours?

First you promote a strike doomed for failure and now your choping up a company that is still operating. What are your motives here?

Wasn't this the same speculation and chat on the UniTED board almost 3 years ago??? Even though UniTED continues to lose MILLIONS every month before their exit from BK this year? YEAH, IN YOUR DREAMS LOL!!!!!