Delta Liquidation

have you not noticed, snowy bear, that this industry is pretty cyclical. Few airlines that were up a few years ago are still "UP." AA and WN come the closest to being consistently up but AA has had its fair share of woes - remember May 2003? And CO is doing fine now but it had decades of woe. And as we all know, WN's party isn't going to be quite as fun in the generations to come.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WT,

Whats with the reference to me as "SNOWY BEAR" ?????????

Should I keep watch on my back(side) :shock: :shock:

NH/BB's

Been to MDW lately pal? It was 1/4 mile FZFG and indefinite ceiling with heavy snow. Now that runway coupled with an ILS approach gives you about maybe 5000 to 5500 ft to play with...NO ROOM FOR ERROR period. By the way the RVR was about 3000ft. No it's not a cheap shot at all it's a fact. I play conservative in aviation. I'm very sorry someone lost there life especially that little boy. It's egg on every pilot's face when someone else crashes and it's found out to be pilot error (which is over half the time). Enough said. The FAA and NTSB will make there analysis and we will go from there.

Been to MDW lately pal? It was 1/4 mile FZFG and indefinite ceiling with heavy snow. Now that runway coupled with an ILS approach gives you about maybe 5000 to 5500 ft to play with...NO ROOM FOR ERROR period. By the way the RVR was about 3000ft. No it's not a cheap shot at all it's a fact. I play conservative in aviation. I'm very sorry someone lost there life especially that little boy. It's egg on every pilot's face when someone else crashes and it's found out to be pilot error (which is over half the time). Enough said. The FAA and NTSB will make there analysis and we will go from there.

Yup, and they had a 10 knot tailwind to boot. Put that on a contaiminated runway and according to our charts you need at least 7200 ft of runway.

Dec. 8, 2005, 10:54PM
Idea of a United combo intrigues Continental CFO

By LYNNE MAREK
Bloomberg News

Continental Airlines and United Airlines' flight networks would make a "knock-em-dead combination" if the carriers were to merge, Continental Chief Financial Officer Jeff Misner said Thursday.

Continental prefers to stay independent, Misner said. If United were to offer a "bucket of dough," Continental would consider it, Misner told investors at a conference in New York. "We're not going to sit by and have the world rush by."

The combined companies would better cover the world by joining Continental's strongest markets — in Latin America, Europe and the U.S. South and East — with United's network in Asia, Europe and the U.S. Midwest and West. Houston-based Continental is the fifth-largest U.S. airline; United, a unit of Chicago-based UAL Corp., is the world's second-biggest.

The Department of Justice scuttled UAL's 2001 effort to purchase US Airways and Northwest's attempt to buy a controlling stake in Continental in 2000, citing antitrust issues.

hmmm...

CO/UA probably does have as reasonable a chance of working of any possible combination. However, you can see that CO does not expect to do the buying. And remember that NW still possess poison pill control over CO mergers. Maybe if NW obtained enough slots for, oh, a dozen or so flights to LHR, they might be willing to think about allowing CO to be acquired by UA in return for allowing NW to sell out to a reorganized Delta - in about 2 years.

> ... it's found out to be pilot error (which is over half the time).

Not quite. Stats for the 1990's
Accident Causes by Category (percent)
Pilot Error 27
Pilot Error (weather related) 14
Pilot Error (mechanical related) 4
Total Pilot Error 45
Other Human Error 8
Weather 14
Mechanical Failure 24
Sabotage 8
Other Cause 1

MB

So sorry but the DL liquidation has been cancelled.

Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta, ALPA Reach a Tentative Interim Agreement
Sunday December 11, 7:27 pm ET

ATLANTA, Dec. 11, 2005 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delta Air Lines, Inc. (Other OTC:DALRQ.PK - News) confirmed today that it has reached a tentative interim agreement with the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the collective bargaining representative of the company's more than 6,000 pilots.
Subject to pilot ratification by no later than December 28, 2005, the tentative interim agreement provides for a 14 percent hourly wage reduction and reductions in other pilot pay and cost items equivalent to approximately an additional one percent hourly wage reduction. The interim cost reductions would be effective December 15, 2005 and would remain in effect while the parties seek to reach a comprehensive agreement. The company and ALPA would seek to negotiate a tentative comprehensive agreement by March 1, 2006, with pilot membership ratification by March 22, 2006.

``This agreement reflects the resolve of Delta people to work together to help save the company. We recognize and appreciate the additional sacrifice this will represent,'' said Ed Bastian, Delta's chief financial officer.

Delta and ALPA will request that the Bankruptcy Court suspend the hearing on the company's motion to reject the existing Delta-ALPA collective bargaining agreement pursuant to section 1113 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, pending the ratification process for the tentative interim agreement.

Delta has said that achieving additional annual pilot labor cost reductions is an important element of its restructuring plan. The restructuring plan calls for an additional $3 billion in annual cost reductions and revenue improvements to be realized by the end of 2007. The $3 billion improvement target is in addition to the approximately $5 billion in annual financial benefits the company says it is on track to deliver by the end of 2006, as compared to 2002.

Delta Air Lines (Other OTC:DALRQ.PK - News) is the world's second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offering daily flights to 505 destinations in 93 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

This press release contains various forward-looking statements which represent the company's estimates or expectations regarding future events. All forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause the actual results to differ materially from the projected results. Additional information is contained in Delta's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including its Form 10-Q filed with the SEC on November 14, 2005. Caution should be taken not to place undue reliance on Delta's forward-looking statements, which represent Delta's views only as of the date of this presentation, and which Delta has no current intention to update.

The Delta logo is available at: http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=1825

Corporate Communications
(404) 715-2554

I just spoke to my neighbor down the street who is a Delta 767-400 Captain. He told me that "I highly doubt that this will pass." He also told me that the "Pilots are tired of being the work group that has to take the BIG CUTS." He then went on to say "It's time for management to take HUGE CUTS prior to the employees of Delta."

My neighbor is also on the MEC for LAX!

14%!!!???? They came out smelling like a rose if this sticks. This is only a tentative interim agreement, meaning the permenant agreement is still to come.

Just curious NH/BB, what would happen to all the Delta employees in this grand scheme of yours?

All would be stapled to the bottom of the seniority list from the airline that takes them over (except for the Pilots, if they still have a contract at the time). Or, they will be let go prior to the takeover. The only work group on Delta's property that has a choice are the Pilots. All other work groups would be screwed if another airline takes them over. Even if it's a merger, they still would be placed at the bottom of the seniority list. Why you ask that question SCAB? NO UNION, NO CONTRACT!

Hey BOOB,
you somehow forget that DL has eliminated more union jobs through acquisition than any other airline. Remember all those union jobs at Western and Pan Am? Those employees are happy non-union employees now. And you know who the most vocal non-union people at Delta are? Eastern Employees

I can't wait to see the day when you have the option of working non-union for Delta or hitting the street.

And the fastest way to get the judge to come to DL's side is for ALPA to reject the TA. And I am tired of hearing the whining about how much of a cut Delta pilots are taking. Let us not forget that they were the highest paid in the industry by a wide margin and stayed that way for years. The TA puts their pay right smack in the middle of what other carriers pay their pilots; these are not poverty rates and the judge is fully aware of that.

World, if you feel the need to make any further comments on pilot compensation, whether it's on this thread or another, whether you feel it's at poverty level or not, could you please post your profession and your average AGI for the past 4 years please? If you're going to make ANY comments about MY compensation level or that of my peers and whether they're "poverty" level rates or not, I'm sure we'd all like to be able to comment about your chosen profession and its compensation level.

The IRS and my local taxing authorities know my AGI; along with a few select lenders, they are all that need to know. As for my profession, I love the suspense of you not knowing who I really am. For all you know, I could be the guy signing the checks that have kept your airline afloat for the last 3 + years. I will say I regularly deal with 10 digit numbers (and that is before the decimal and we are not talking about telephone numbers).

You, my friend, have the benefit of working under contract for a publicly traded company. As such, your compensation information is public knowledge. The option, of course, is not to be represented by a union if you wish to keep your salary confidential.

Latest posts