How much business will return

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
For the past 15 years Delta has used Comair to enter US Airways mid-atlantic strong holds (old Piedmont cities), and used CVG to drain PIT. Anyone care to speculate on how much of this business will return based on Deltas situation.

Holly Hegeman Plane business Banter

Delta finally announced earnings last week, not sure the adage "better late than never applies here. It probably would have been better if the airline had simply skipped this quarter, all things considered. For the quarter, the airline posted a net loss of $1.13 billion.

Big red flag ... The airline ended the quarter with only $1.4 billion in unrestricted cash. Going into the bleak winter months, this is not a lot of money. For the first nine months of the year, Delta has now lost $2.6 billion.

The situation at Delta is much worse than the situation we have at Northwest or at United Airlines. The situation at Delta runs deep and it runs throughout the airline's management ranks. And it certainly runs through the airline's revenue management group.

This airline, as it has proven over the last year, does not know how to make money.

The airline finds itself with aging airplanes with aging interiors, a fractured brand, thanks to Song, huge regional jet exposure, and no clue as to how to make money. Oh, and let's not forget that because management waited so long to file for Chapter 11, there are no more assets to collateralize.

This airline could collapse. And it could collapse pretty quickly. Bottomline, this airline is in deep trouble. On many fronts.

Not much to like in Delta's third quarter numbers. Worse yet, don't see indications anywhere that management knows how to improve the situation.

As a CP on US and a Gold On DL, Most of my business from Delta has shifter eo US and NW since I wrote DL a letter in October.

I wrote DL about changing MHT to all RJ. Their response was basically, if you want to ride big airplanes go to Boston. I wrote back, I you want my business fly MD80s to MHT. I did not receive a response. They got mine, no more business from me unless they are the only carrier durring the middle of the week for me.

Hopefully US picks up business from other upset DL customers

In the 80's Delta barely served cities like CHS, RIC, ORF, AVL, ROA, GSO, CHS, RDU, PIT. To get a foot in the door they entered these cities, first with under paid Comair crews, and after they drained enough business away from US Air they converted alot to mainline. They have continued to hammer away in these markets with Comair, at a loss I might add, in an effort to run US Airways out of business. Looks like it won't happen and now I believe they will do a major retreat. Will we be ready if it happens or will Southwest, Jetblue and Airtan step in????

Goodness no! For us to jump in it would mean expansion. We are still contracting, parking equipment and trimming down the work-force. Maybe some of the countless CRJ900s in CLT or Republic's E170s, but don't ever count on mainline to ever expand again. [Disclaimer: Just another negative post from me...I am still waiting on management to show us they are something more than empty suits.]

[Disclaimer: Just another negative post from me...I am still waiting on management to show us they are something more than empty suits.]
[/quote]

Autofixer you do realize Doug doesn't where suits, nor do most of the Westerns Veeps. In fact Larry Leusier(sp) is the only one I can think of that does. He started as a ramper and I think that has soemthing to do with why he always wore a suit? Doug even has poke fun at him for it in front of everyone.

[Disclaimer: Just another negative post from me...I am still waiting on management to show us they are something more than empty suits.]
Autofixer you do realize Doug doesn't where suits, nor do most of the Westerns Veeps. In fact Larry Leusier(sp) is the only one I can think of that does. He started as a ramper and I think that has soemthing to do with why he always wore a suit? Doug even has poke fun at him for it in front of everyone.

I'm sure if Doug Parker worked out east, he would wear a suit. A suit with a wool overcoat. Wearing a suit in Tempe is a foolish death wish. He will probably never be caught in a suit, now, as it is a trademark like Orville Redenbacher's bow tie.

Anyone have any idea how much Delta will have to downsize. What do you think Comairs future is? Will LCC express all of the above cities, or will there be mainline opportunities in the above cities?

As a CP on US and a Gold On DL, Most of my business from Delta has shifter eo US and NW since I wrote DL a letter in October.

I wrote DL about changing MHT to all RJ. Their response was basically, if you want to ride big airplanes go to Boston. I wrote back, I you want my business fly MD80s to MHT. I did not receive a response. They got mine, no more business from me unless they are the only carrier durring the middle of the week for me.

Hopefully US picks up business from other upset DL customers
Why don't you like the RJ's

John John,

RJS are short on leg room, Narrow in seat width, and short in head-room

Those are my three basis reason, since I pay full fare I like a little comfort even in the narrow coach of an MD 80

Anyone care to speculate on how much of this business will return based on Deltas situation.[/b]
Yeah, none if we don't start marketing ourselves. I hope US doesn't think that pax will run to them because DL is hurting and US is so cool. How 'bout the old carrot and stick approach? Give people a reason to switch. Then when they come wow them with some great service.

Yeah, none if we don't start marketing ourselves. I hope US doesn't think that pax will run to them because DL is hurting and US is so cool. How 'bout the old carrot and stick approach? Give people a reason to switch. Then when they come wow them with some great service.

Very true........the flying public just may be looking away from any of the carriers in bankruptcy. This is an opportune time for the NEW US AIRWAYS to get their attention......with great service, reliable flights, happy and congenial employees, and a sincere thank you to them. And while we thank your customers, we might as well thank our coworkers. Thank you's are free.