Delta opens line hangar at NRT.

WorldTraveler said:
you might do well to have a look at UA and AA's schedules at NRT to help you understand what is being discussed.

Neither carrier has any widebody that overnight at NRT. Neither does DL.
One of AA's 772s spends the night at NRT; it becomes the morning departure to DFW.

Reactions: 2 people
indeed it does. does AA do maintenance on that aircraft?

DL and UA do not keep US originating aircraft at NRT.

WorldTraveler said:
nowhere have I said anything about DL insourcing (meaning bringing in work from other carriers) at NRT because of this hangar. I have said that it seems to argue against further outsourcing which you seem to think is always happening.
and only you would think that a line hangar with no extra staffing, no extra work, would have a single thing to do with things that would get outsourced. 

WorldTraveler said:
and if NRT becomes simply a spoke, planes would likely not overnight at NRT. that is just the way schedules between northern Asia and the US typically work although DL has overnighted aircraft at ICN. To China and SE Asia, an overnight is more likely.
NRT beach flying isn't going away. those 757s alone need overnights done on them. 

but as you say ICN has an overnight....so its completely possible that NRT gets an overnight. 

Kev3188 said:
I think the only one still discussing RONS is you. Dawg keeps pointing out that that's not an issue here *and* throwing in the idea of possible RADS, but you keep plugging along anyway. What gives?
agreed.

WorldTraveler said:
maybe dawg needs to help me understand a few things but if airplanes are on the ground for a couple of hours which is the standard turn time for DL widebody longhaul turns, there isn't time for any hangar maintenance - and only line maintenance when something is broken.

you seem to miss the point - and clearly want to argue it - that DL obviously intends to keep NRT as a fairly large station with more than just out and back service to the US which is the way most other int'l stations operate.
good thing this is a hangar for line MX. 
but say that 747 doing a turn to DTW has to take a delay because it had some EGT issues on the way over on number 2? now we want to run it over to the hangar to do a scope on the engine........

WorldTraveler said:
the only aircraft that DL or UA have that overnight at NRT are the narrowbody aircraft that serve beach markets.
again, DL might decide to do something different than what it has done or what AA or UA do, but the only aircraft that do not turn right around and go back to their destination are a couple of beach market narrowbody aircraft.
Did you read the PR? 

"The leased 13,000 square-meter facility will provide enhanced TechOps support for Delta’s Boeing 747-400, 777, 767, 757 and Airbus A330 transoceanic aircraft. More than 100 Delta TechOps professionals work at the NRT operation."

yes, and the 747s are also going away....

I esp. like the part about "more than 100 Delta TechOps professaionals"

increased maintenance capabilities anywhere around the work is a good, no great thing and even more so when it is done by DL people using DL facilities.

DL's presence in Asia will only be strengthened.

topDawg said:
NRT beach flying isn't going away.

We'll see.  The way the rest of the NRT operation is going - I think it's only a matter of time before frequency and capacity in the beach markets starts shrinking further.  It's certainly true that those beach markets exist to cater primarily to leisure O&D that likely isn't going away, but at least some amount of Delta's competitiveness in these leisure O&D markets is driven by its overall presence in the NRT/Japan O&D market, and that presence continues to get less and less competitive as Delta's offering out of NRT to Asia continues to shrink relative to JAL and ANA.  Once low-fare carriers start flying to some of those beach markets - which I see as only a matter of time - I struggle to imagine how Delta will be able to continue justifying the deployment of valuable assets in such a way.  I don't necessarily think Delta will entirely exit the Japan-GUM/SPN/Hawaii market, but I, personally, think that at least some of that "NRT beach flying" is, indeed, "going away" with time.

Either way, this line maintenance hangar at NRT doesn't change the bigger picture, which is that Delta's overall presence in Japan is shrinking - as well it naturally should, seeing as Delta is and always will be far, far smaller and weaker in the market than the hometown heavy hitters JAL and ANA, and that Delta now has SEA as a viable replacement for most of NRT's network role.

except that has noted that its beach market revenues are up from when the yen was first devalued, even though the yen has continued to shrink. Go figure.

DL's BEYOND Japan presence is shrinking. Other than SFO, DL's TPAC Japanese presence is virtually unchanged.

your comments could only be read within the reality which is that DL has carried 30% of all passengers between the continental US and Japan over the past year compared to 24% for UA, the 2nd largest carrier. If you'd like to include Hawaii as well, the number is over 31%.

it's also worth noting that AA/JL combined do not come up to even 85% of the size of DL.

so, the heavy weights in the market are in order, DL, UA, NH, and then JL and AA.

I know you have been salivating for years that DL's Japan strategy would fall apart but it hasn't happened. And DL's regauging of the NRT hub to minimize connections is not going to reduce their presence in the local market which they will hold onto.

Blah blah blah ... the reality is that Delta at NRT is shrinking - has been for years, and continues to as the 747s get parked.

Routes have been cut - not just to Asia (ICN, PEK, PUS, KHH, HKG), but also to the U.S. (SFO).  And the routes remaining have, in many cases, seen capacity reductions from where they were 10 or even 5 years ago (747s now 777s or A330s, etc.).

All the focus on comparing Delta capacity in any particular place to United/ANA, or AA/JAL, misses that, regardless of capacity, those JVs are able to offer pretty much comparable U.S.-Japan schedule presence (the same if not in some cases more frequency) to Delta, even if in some cases on smaller aircraft.  And in Asia-Japan, those JVs obviously handily dominate Delta in schedule presence.

the blah blah comes from you who can't grasp that DL is not giving up its presence in the local Japan-US market.

and the blah blah blah is that the AA/JL JV did nothing to help AA obtain a decent presence in the US Japan market.

if those JVs were delivering better results to what DL could obtain on its own, then you can explain why AA has cut more of its US-Japan capacity than any other carrier and why even on a combined basis, AA/JL are third in the marketplace.

as for Asia-Japan, the JVs don't even compete in many of the markets because the JVs do not involve many of the destinations that DL serves on its own metal. DL, JL, and NH do serve those markets. AA/JL, NH/UA do not.

oh, and DL and UA are making money flying to Asia. AA is not.

I've lost track of what the topic is... isn't it about a hangar at DL, not it's relative profitability?....

Reactions: 1 person
the hangar in and of itself is not a profit center, E.

If Dawg tells us DL is going to use it for insourcing maintenance from other airlines, it might be.

for now, it is a cost item.

and the whole basis of the topic involves DL's future in Tokyo.

I believe it is solid and DL will remain as the single largest carrier between the US and Japan just as they are now.

but DL's focus will shift from a hub operation to a point to point operation

in order to dominate the board, I would have to keep others from posting.

I am unable to do that.

anyone that wants can contribute to this thread.

WorldTraveler said:
in order to dominate the board, I would have to keep others from posting.

I am unable to do that.
But you do a great job of alienating anyone with an opposing opinion.

Your "so you're a ramper" comment directed at Kevin was nothing short of malice and disdain.

But we're used to it.

Reactions: 4 people
actually, Kevin said it.

I deleted the part with which I disagreed.

your sense of alienation is due to the fact that I post things you and other fAAns don't want to hear or see.

specific to this topic, I don't see any more of a need for DL to acquire a hangar at NRT now but it does seem to validate that those who believe DL will reduce NRT down to nothingness will be proven to be wrong.