Delta, US Airways Close Deal to Transfer Flying Rights in New York and Washington, D.C.

how many FT employees does DL and US have in DCA and LGA respectively that are realistically "at risk"... When DL added another round of DCA flying a year ago (undoubtedly to spur US to realize that if they didn't agree to the swap, DL would use the slots on "real routes" such as MCO etc), was that staffing increased using FT employees?
It has been discussed here but it has been so long - how many Express employees at LGA will likely be cut - and are there indications that many have quit knowing the slot deal was finally going to close?
thanks for the updates on the HR side of this deal.
On the US Express side at LGA, I believe that all the employees will be gone once this is complete.

On the US Express side at LGA, I believe that all the employees will be gone once this is complete.
I would expect so but have they already started to leave voluntarily or have they been given notice already?
given that the slot deal has been in process for 2 years and the level of flights by both DL at DCA after the slot swap and US at LGA has been well known - even down to the markets to be served which has implications for the aircraft to be used - there should be very few surprises.... still I am certain that some people will be displaced.... I will just be curious to see how it all plays out w/ respect to personnel for both DL at DCA and US at LGA.

I would expect so but have they already started to leave voluntarily or have they been given notice already?
given that the slot deal has been in process for 2 years and the level of flights by both DL at DCA after the slot swap and US at LGA has been well known - even down to the markets to be served which has implications for the aircraft to be used - there should be very few surprises.... still I am certain that some people will be displaced.... I will just be curious to see how it all plays out w/ respect to personnel for both DL at DCA and US at LGA.

According to LGA local management many of the Express employees are happy about the deal because they will be able to collect unemployment.

Just to refresh my memory, US will just have shuttle, PHL and CLT remaining at LGA? Will express be shut down altogether?

I also remember some press that ISP-DCA may be in the wings once this is consummated.....I assume that would be Air Wisconsin or PSA, since I doubt they'd give that to Piedmont and the Dash......

With WN pulling back at ISP, seems like US could do more there especially with their withdrawal from LGA....

Just sayin.....

Jim's comment is accurate and I was wondering about the DOJ too. For US Airways and Delta to close the transaction before the DOJ made an additional public announcement should mean the two companies have confidence the DOJ will not object.

The DOJ has no authority to block the deal and according to Scott Kirby in a comment made during the 3rd quarter Earnings Conference Call and earlier in the week during the CLT Pilot Crew News session the only way for the DOJ to stop the deal is for the regulators to file suit in federal court.

In my opinion, this is the first of a couple of more steps in the DCA-LGA (and BOS) markets. Additional strategic initiatives could be the re-purchase of the 10 E-190s/DCA slots previously sold to Republic, the E-190s becoming the only Shuttle aircraft in all 3 markets, code sharing the Shuttle with American, and if the FAA Reauthorization bill provides additional beyond perimeter exemptions US Airways could obtain additional slots and/or convert existing slots to fly from DCA to SAN, LAX, & SFO.

sure looks like E190's are not going to be used on PHL - BOS.. It's mostly Airbus now and for Jan as well.
I didn't look further out.

According to LGA local management many of the Express employees are happy about the deal because they will be able to collect unemployment.

If management really said that, it just shows how out of touch they are. :rolleyes: Imagine the happiness and holiday cheer they could spread if they sent everyone to the unemployment line. "Ho! Ho! Ho! And now that you are unemployed you also qualify for a free Christmas tree, a block of cheese, and a ham."

If management really said that, it just shows how out of touch they are. :rolleyes: Imagine the happiness and holiday cheer they could spread if they sent everyone to the unemployment line. "Ho! Ho! Ho! And now that you are unemployed you also qualify for a free Christmas tree, a block of cheese, and a ham."

Management is not happy about it. Many of the Express employees are happy because Piedmont provided separation benefits that include a severance package, modified pass program, and unemployment benefits.

Phase One is scheduled for March 25 with gates 11-22 and 55 slots transferred to DL. Phase Two is scheduled for July 8 where the remaining slots and gates 7-10 are transferred to DL.

Furthermore, I understand 5 of Republic's E190s could be transferred to US Airways on March 1.

Management is not happy about it. Many of the Express employees are happy because Piedmont provided separation benefits that include a severance package, modified pass program, and unemployment benefits.

Phase One is scheduled for March 25 with gates 11-22 and 55 slots transferred to DL. Phase Two is scheduled for July 8 where the remaining slots and gates 7-10 are transferred to DL.

Furthermore, I understand 5 of Republic's E190s could be transferred to US Airways on March 1.
I thought US was transferring 190's out to express???

That certainly isn't reflected in the bid that just closed... There were no additional E190 pilot positions, and quite a few FO slots were not filled.... I can't see how they could hire and train the additional pilots that would be needed to staff those 5 aircraft by March 1...

I don't know New York's unemployment benefits, but usually it is based upon the highest quarter out of last 4 full quarters, so people will load-up on a bunch of hours by swapping or picking up, to get the highest quarter, and use that as the base for the highest unemployment benefits. Given there was plenty of notice of what was happening, it gave plenty of time to load-up.

Mainline US had 3 years of flight benefits, 1 week of severance pay for every year of service (minimum 3 years required), and recall rights up to 4 years... and now they get to avoid the worse of the winter months. Maybe decide to transfer later.

So Exams Jester.

Management is not happy about it. ...

Of course not, according to you management said it is the employees that are happy about it. So I suppose the employees can be even happier, knowing that they themselves are happy but management isn't... what a satisfying combo you persuade us of! :lol:

when will US publish its schedule for its DCA expansion. DL is ready to go with its expansion.

Delta Unveils Schedule for New Domestic Hub at New York's LaGuardia Airport

Click here to read the story.

Back