DFW AA hangars

This guy Durst must be a real PUTZ! I am sure with the dependability issues we have with just the 767 fleet he can do better with some young kid who can barely read the maintenance manual and follow the FIM. Most of us have been around since the birth of the 767. We have seen the aircraft day in and day out. The problems and the fixes. Unfortunately with all the experienced AMT's we still have a dependability issue. Throw the MD80's and 757's in the mix and watch Durst eat his words. Farming out the heavies is a reality. They are doing it already. 777 to Hong Kong, 767 somewhere in Alabama. The quality of the work is average at best. Unfortunately the company has time to make sure the aircraft is ready for revenue service after all the screw ups. Try that with a aircraft in revenue service and pax on board. Do any of the majors farm out their line maintenance at major cities? I don't think so. Why would AA suggest it? Scare tactic is all. If anything the majors are going to have problems when we start retiring in the coming years.   

Reactions: 1 person
1AA said:
This guy Durst must be a real PUTZ! I am sure with the dependability issues we have with just the 767 fleet he can do better with some young kid who can barely read the maintenance manual and follow the FIM. Most of us have been around since the birth of the 767. We have seen the aircraft day in and day out. The problems and the fixes. Unfortunately with all the experienced AMT's we still have a dependability issue. Throw the MD80's and 757's in the mix and watch Durst eat his words. Farming out the heavies is a reality. They are doing it already. 777 to Hong Kong, 767 somewhere in Alabama. The quality of the work is average at best. Unfortunately the company has time to make sure the aircraft is ready for revenue service after all the screw ups. Try that with a aircraft in revenue service and pax on board. Do any of the majors farm out their line maintenance at major cities? I don't think so. Why would AA suggest it? Scare tactic is all. If anything the majors are going to have problems when we start retiring in the coming years.   

i think we have all seen the work that comes from the contractors, it's easy money to go fix their mess ups on a field trip. Lets not forget that Durst was one the first to be let go..........putz is a good word. I didn't find him impressive. Anyway we're off topic. DFW hangars rumor was just that. Good to know. 

Maybe AA will provide the resources to DFW hangars like AA provided to MIA B checks, heard from crew chiefs that MIA's B checks are resourced properly with properly fitted stands, stores dept for that B check and those mechs do a great job. 

It's weird how a properly resourced group of mechs can turn out the quality and quantity of work that is expected of them. Doug even mentioned how more work is going to Miami. Just think if DFW got that support for their HGRs. 

bigjets said:
It makes perfect sense to have stores at DFW, DFW feeds the system, should have been done years ago.

Oldguy I don't recall anybody saying that TUL mechs were not good mechs. I have heard them being called a bunch of IGM, if you don't like it move to tulsa one ways. Let's face it the contracts that were voted passed because they were TULSA friendly. Now the next contract has every indication of being line friendly, and since the line has the numbers and management seems to want to get out of the OH business, with Isom saying a scope of 100% line and 50% OH. I don't see any line mech saying let's take less to preserve Tulsa work. Funny how tulsa mechs now want to talk about sticking together for all of us.

Hey if you don't like it, move to Chicago!!!!!!

Thanks for the scoop about DFW HGRs and stores, very interesting. I should have looked at TWU website, but the twu isnt known for having good info.
The info i got came from the stores manager, Uncle Ted.

OldGuy@AA said:
Bigjets every group has their "Conehead" moron representatives.  Yes there are usually lots of yes votes in Tulsa but that has always been the case because of weak leadership in the local in my opinion.  As far as these deals being Tulsa friendly I must disagree.  OSMs are not AMT friendly.  If you are referring to "TWU Friendly" then yes these keep the dues membership high by lowering wages for all of us.  There is also a misconception that the only maint. that will be outsourced is overhaul.  Ken Durst told a friend of mine in Denver a few years back that AA had every intent on outsourcing line maint. as well.  This was after he got angry withe the negative response he got when trying to sell the 2010 TA to the Denver line guys.  I would also like to point out that AA had Timco do a few 757s and that turned out to be a disaster.  Remember the seats coming loose?  Remember our management blamed us?  Yes I have seen the "If you don't like it move to Tulsa." crap and that is just as stupid as what Conehead keeps spewing.  Just sick and tired of the whole thing.  Looks like I need to take time off from this blog.
The OSMs are the very difinition of the Tulsa IGM spirit. The mechs at TUL, at the time of contract, lost nothing got a pay raise maintained weekends, holidays off, day shift schedule and sacrificed on future generations of mechs in OH at AA, along with line mechs to not be able to keep up with cost of living in the big Hubs. But they got theirs and kept their lifestyle.

It is nice to know the Tulsa IGMs lost in the end with the contracts they voted in. I like listening them complain about how the senior guys have to work on airplanes because the shops are being manned by the OSMs.

It is nice to have an executive team that realizes the importance of line maint instead of pushing bad contracts by giving a little something to Tulsa to preserve their lifestyle at the expense of everybody else. At least I hope that happens this contract.

Before old guy gets all bent out of shape, the Tulsa mechs are very good at their job and can easily pickup line maint after a while, and yes we recognize the 26% that don't automatically vote for TWU endorsed contract and want change at TWU.

Mia shops make a lot of stands in house to get the job done right!!!!!! You got the right people in the right places calling the shots for now.

eolesen said:
FWIW, Buck, expanding TUL places too many eggs in one basket. One direct hit from a F4 or greater tornado or an earthquake could destroy all of AA's overhaul maintenance capabilities in one shot.

Splitting the operation between a couple locations does have its advantages, and having it colocated with a major operational point is even better.

It makes perfect sense to have a centralized Stores at DFW. From an AOG perspective, parts are only a flight away from just about every location, and having room for all the fleets would require some expansion regardless. May as well start with a greenfield location and put in current SOTA storage & retrieval capability.
[SIZE=10.5pt]I did not mean to expand TULSA, I meant to provide TUL as the centralized maintenance point for Light and Heavy [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]overhaul of the narrow body fleet and because there is hangar space any Wide Body needed. Tulsa is cost effective, practically free to the airline as a facility.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Stores in some cases from the Maintenance point of view seem, slow.  Why the internal system parts ordering program limits the Crew Chief to priority ordering I have yet to figure out. While placing an order based on the aircraft departure schedule, even when the part goes AOG, The last day warehouse of the aircraft in dock should automatically kick priority to "0" which is the highest and leaves the Crew Chief at a "2", which in turn slows the check down.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]The running joke is we can get parts faster from DFW than from the TUL Warehouse.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Now I am told that DFW will be the parts centralization center with some Vendors providing their own handling. Long ago I was told that no matter the location it is taxation that is the major concern. [/SIZE]

Ok, so the new rumors floating out....

The Tulsa Warehouse may be moving to DFW and the Wheel and Brake, APU and Composite Shop will move back inside the TULE fence line into the emptied Warehouse.

BTW when the 777 goes to Heico in China it stops at Japan to unseat for overhaul then goes into maintenance and back to Japan and back into service?

The Idea of the TUL Stores Warehouse moving to DFW is not a rumor, that is the plan, my son's mom has been to meetings in TUL and DFW about it.

AA wants DFW to supply the PMAA system and CLT to supply the PMUS system.

I'm thinking the DFW hangar operation should be moved from DFWs mangement team to DWHs management team. DWHs management team seems to know how to work with the mechs. instead of taking work away from mechs maybe work should be taken away from managers.

Just a thought, think of it as a way of troubleshooting a fault.

Reactions: 2 people
bigjets said:
I'm thinking the DFW hangar operation should be moved from DFWs mangement team to DWHs management team. DWHs management team seems to know how to work with the mechs. instead of taking work away from mechs maybe work should be taken away from managers.

Just a thought, think of it as a way of troubleshooting a fault.
You have no idea what your talking about. Your in Tulsa right? Wroble has an office at Hangar 3.

DallasConehead said:
You have no idea what your talking about. Your in Tulsa right? Wroble has an office at Hangar 3.
Do you think that Wroble runs the day to day DFW HGR operation?

Since the President's office is in Washington DC, do you think he runs the day to day govenering of DC?

Per the Stores Town Hall meeting. A new warehouse 2-3 times the size of the current whse in 4-5 years. AA in discussion with DFW airport. No mention of the Tulsa warehouse being moved. 

Shafted said:
Per the Stores Town Hall meeting. A new warehouse 2-3 times the size of the current whse in 4-5 years. AA in discussion with DFW airport. No mention of the Tulsa warehouse being moved. 
I would hope that if anyone of the Stores employees are going to be affected they should get some kind of notice. Traditionally the union and the company tend to wait until the last moment...

Wow, I must feel just like the WeAAles speaking about a Title Group I am no part of.....