Differences between AA and WN

There are plenty of airline employees other than at WN who understand that they are in the customer service business and go above and beyond for those customers.
Further, most customer facing employees in most industries understand that they are working w/ the public that can have very unreasonable demands at times. But they also understand that most customers are decent and many people have it in them to help out others, regardless if they will get recognition for it or not.

WN has built a great service culture... but they are hardly the only example of airlines or companies that have employees that don't mind stepping up to the plate for their customers.

I just love reading from people who've never spent any appreciable time in either AA's or WN's HDQ sit and judge how they approach management restructurings.

There's no question AA did its fair share of cost cutting outside of organized labor between 2001 and 2012. It's well documented in the SEC filings. In every budget year, we had no choice but to find new ways to do more without backfilling vacancies. I know the unionista talking points disagree, but I saw firsthand (even after leaving in 2006) that there really are fewer people each year in HDQ when compared to front-line employment, with one notable exception -- IT work that was in-sourced from HP and Sabre. Still, AA is using about 40% less real estate in Centerport than they were ten years ago. There are probably still entire vacant wings at HDQ, even after closing down CPOC, CP2, and the other satellite buildings outside of HDQ1 and HDQ2.

The problem with the "reduce management overhead" approach is that you eventually run out of low hanging fruit. Management overhead typically accounts for well under 10% of an airline's labor expenses.

It's kind of like the "make sure your tires are properly inflated" approach to dealing with high gas prices. It will work for a quarter or two, but long term? Don't think so...

Did you just come out from under a rock IF a merger takes place management jobs will be eliminated. IF no merger takes place get rid of the senior seasoned well pay management and get some young whippersnappers. Less not forget contract out the airline to express carriers to reduce management at the mainline
“It's kind of like the” rats leaving a sinking ship

Yep, the big difference WN and most other airlines: Employees who don't say "it's not my job"

And that stems from management. If management pays the least they can get away with then its perfectly reasonable for employees to take the postion of doing the least they can get away with. Strike a fair deal with your employees and the majority will do the same for the employer. Southwest is the most heavily unionized carrier out there yet even you admit that their relationship is probably the best in the industry.

Reactions: 4 people
Got another one for you: Management who treats employees as assets, not liabilities.

How about employees who act like assets instead of asshats?

It's a two way street, Fleet.

When employees show that they're worth paying more, it happens. In WN's case, employees consistently show that customers are welcome. That results in return customers, which means higher revenues, and a much bigger pie to be shared.

Instead, at AA, you have employees who proudly boast about doing just enough not to be fired. Customers are treated as an imposition, and it shows in the revenue and repeat business.

I don't know of a single top tier who has increased their flying on AA in the past year. I'm sure there might be a few, but most have started flying on someone else, be it WN, DL, or UA.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know of a single top tier who has increased their flying on AA in the past year. I'm sure there might be a few, but most have started flying on someone else, be it WN, DL, or UA.

Poor Management. That's the bottom line.

IMO

From a union and staffing position I have a problem with others doing my job. If you can't get the job done with the current staffing numbers then you need to adjust the staffing levels.

A lot of you were quick to shoot this down, but here's my take:

There is a difference between an exception and an expectation. I'm sure anyone on this board would help out a coworker in a jam (well, I would, anyway).

When it becomes the rule, and staffed is predicated on that, then Nancy's view comes into play.

Reactions: 2 people
When employees show that they're worth paying more, it happens. In WN's case, employees consistently show that customers are welcome. That results in return customers, which means higher revenues, and a much bigger pie to be shared.

Instead, at AA, you have employees who proudly boast about doing just enough not to be fired. Customers are treated as an imposition, and it shows in the revenue and repeat business.

You're painting with a very broad stroke here E, not every employee acts like that.My crew and I bust ass to make sure at departure time we are pushing back or already in the alley and barring act of god or god complex we are.

Reagrding non working flight attendants getting up to work. At AA we arent to get up, nor am I to assist with an evac unless asked, even on the jump seat, this AA policy.

The real answer is a difference in corporate culture.

By the way, in 32 years of flying I never asked nor expected help from a non working employee. DHing f/as could actually be blowing legalities by working. I had 2 separate files with over 350 commendations so I think my customer service was pretty good. Flights should be staffed properly so that PAID crew can get the service done...period.

Reagrding non working flight attendants getting up to work. At AA we arent to get up, nor am I to assist with an evac unless asked, even on the jump seat, this AA policy.
What happens when and if a non-rev is helping in flight and they get hurt?

I will tell you, they are SOL is what is gonna happen.

You're painting with a very broad stroke here E, not every employee acts like that

Yep. I know that from experience.

At the same time, not every supervisor, manager, director, or VP is a greedy narcissist who could care less about employees. Yet, that's the way they've been broad brushed by >90% of the forum participants here.

Broad strokes work both ways.