Dol Count

RogerRoger said:
Let us all hope that the BOD understands the implications of their actions. Certainly the members don't want their dues money going to fight individual legal expenses!
[post="168364"][/post]​

Well, it looks like somebody on the Board "gets it." What about the others?

Hey everybody...

The Department of Labor has directed that the 16 ballots, previously deemed invalid by the APFA National Ballot Committee, be opened and counted today, August 12, 2004, at 1330 CDT.

The outcome of this ballot count could ultimately determine who will serve as APFA President for the next four years.

To that end, I left an all-call voice mail message late yesterday afternoon for the APFA Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Division Representatives and Coordinators. I expressed my desire that this union move forward, and that we accept the results of the newly opened ballots as final and binding.

Should the incumbent be determined to have garnered the majority of the total votes, then the results must be certified and we must move on. However, should the challenger be determined to have received the majority of total votes, then she needs to be installed as APFA President, as soon as practicable. After much consideration, I am simply not willing to rip this membership apart with yet another election, nor will I block the Department of Labor's attempts to set things right.

I have asked that all parties, whatever their preferences and political affiliation, put aside their differences and do what is fair. A VOTE IS A VOTE IS A VOTE. I, as a Board member, am neither willing to compromise my ethics nor am I willing to block justice by not recognizing the validity of these votes.

This is not about who John Nikides wants for the Presidential position, nor has it ever been. This is about fairness, and doing what is right.

Then, and only then, will we be able to rebuild our unity.

Stay tuned.

In unity,

John Nikides
LAX Chairperson

Something tells me that King Ward will be fighting his dethronement. The APFU coffers just must be bottomless. Time to fly John...literally. :mf_boff:

It appears that Ward supporters are deluging the DOL office in Nashville with demands for a new election. Those who want the actual results to stand are starting to do the same. Seems a shame to let those who want another bite of the apple try again to steal the election. If you want to weigh in with DOL, 972 850 2500. e-mail: [email protected] & hall.debra@dol/gov

The EC meeting was scheduled to begin at 1000. I could not be there. I had a dental appt. this am. I've got a call into someone who planned to attend to see if they made it. Haven't heard back yet.

jimntx said:
The EC meeting was scheduled to begin at 1000. I could not be there. I had a dental appt. this am. I've got a call into someone who planned to attend to see if they made it. Haven't heard back yet.
[post="168417"][/post]​

See the letter to the board.

jimntx said:
[post="168417"][/post]​

This is what took place, according to Jay Narey:
The meeting was convened at 10:25 am
Secretary Hildreth read a letter from
John Ward which was sent to the E.C.
yesterday stating that the APFA
Board of Directors had already set
policy regarding the ongoing investigations
by the DOL and that an E.C. meeting
at this time was inappropriate...
because the E.C. is under the direction
of the Board of Directors Resolution 17.

There was not a quorum present to conduct
business as John Ward, Cheryl Walters,
and Ted Bedwell were absent.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:29 am.

I am convinced that JW intends to take the entire union down with him. He knows that he is toast. He knows that the DOL is not going to order a new election. So, he is going to lead the BOD over the cliff by defying the DOL until the DOL files suit. Not only the union, but the individual BOD members will be liable for the court costs.

Warning to each and every one of you. Be very careful in what you post from here on out. Remember that it is already part of the APFA Constitution that you can be expelled from the union for advocating a change in representation. Don't do it.

jimntx said:
I am convinced that JW intends to take the entire union down with him. He knows that he is toast. He knows that the DOL is not going to order a new election. So, he is going to lead the BOD over the cliff by defying the DOL until the DOL files suit. Not only the union, but the individual BOD members will be liable for the court costs.

Warning to each and every one of you. Be very careful in what you post from here on out. Remember that it is already part of the APFA Constitution that you can be expelled from the union for advocating a change in representation. Don't do it.
[post="168523"][/post]​

If that's the case they should expell themselfs for wanting a re-vote, that is advocating a change in representation. :rolleyes:

WingNaPrayer said:
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but am I to understand that this new leader is not the type to be lining up to kiss AA's fanny unlike Mr. Ward? Personally, I believe a union that does not stand on the side of labor is worthless. From what I've seen and read from each of you, Mr. Ward appeared to stand for management rather than labor on more than a few occasions.
[post="168265"][/post]​

I'm not so sure THB is the answer. During election campaigning she commented that she felt we (the F/A's) should have given back to the company our 3% pay raise that was due us in Jan. 2003...as kind of tossing the company a bone. Also, she ACTIVELY campaigned during the "restructuring participation agreement" voting period (April 2003) to yote with a YES vote. Now, this is scary to me. Anyone could tell that this was not an agreement that was being negotiated in "good faith." And if you have been with American for more than a year you know that a contract not negotiated in "good faith" can only mean one thing...that American is pulling a fast one.

If anyone is pulling a "fast one" it is AA with Ward. Of course AA doesn't want Ward gone - he doesn't know how to negotiate - only deliver "on a silver platter" your work rules, pay, etc. Of course AA wants Ward to remain in place.

My belief is that the DOL will demand that the election remain as Tommie the winner. If it is anything other than that - than I believe that AA had a hand in illegally paying off the DOL!

Well, THB has her work cut out for her should she be installed. AA by its own admitance has a not so hot corporate culture, APFA is severely split, the LCC's will continue to compete with the legacy carriers minimizing hopes for wage and benefit gains and the AA/TWA seniority issue remains a festering wound.
As for the RPA, though it is a horrible contract, staying out of C-11 looks great considering the woes of UAL and US Air.

L1011Ret said:
As for the RPA, though it is a horrible contract, staying out of C-11 looks great considering the woes of UAL and US Air.
[post="168705"][/post]​

Bankruptcy was a scare tactic to get the RPA approved right then before everyone knew about the hidden SERPS and bonuses. All three unions would have demanded negotiations done in "good faith."
Just imagine this:
* if the top 45 in mgmt. hadn't secretly been funding huge amounts into the SERP and giving themselves extraordinary bonuses.
* if all areas of AMR were asked for "fair shared sacrifices"
* if negotiations had been done in "good faith"

If all of this had occured there would have been no need for a 15 day ballot and bankruptcy would have been avoided. The employees all knew they were going to have to give back to the company to make it profitable again one day. That was not a problem. The problems ALL came about because of deception. Management egos and greed and the dream of "union busting" brought this company down.

Add another "and", if APFA had gotten their act together and stopped stalling and were properly prepared.

Latest posts