Dol Says Open The Ballots

Obviously I don't know the players involved in this Greek tragedy, but assuming that THB takes office on the 12th, I would expect someone in her position to do nothing more then attempt to reunite the members of the Union. This would include doing all she can to fix the TWA mess.

Question....If the amendment passes on the 11th, is there anything in there to prevent the DOL from taking action on the 12th? I would assume the answer is no, but we all know about assume........

Some people are suggesting my postings on the ballot issue are just hot air. Well, they have been confirmed by another reliable source. Remember, caution is the byword. Despite DOL's insistance the ballots be opened, DOL might be legally challenged by a potential loser if he has grounds for a legal challenge. Since DOL has been investigating for some time it is my belief there is not much in the way of grounds to challenge. We shall soon see.

Has the DOL also determined how and why there are 16 valid votes that weren't counted?

I'd like to know how this happened. Was it an accident or was it intentional?

I have to assume, perhaps wrongly, that DOL findings should end up in the public domain and some Internet sleuth will figure a way to get them and post them.

Skyyggoddess said:
Has the DOL also determined how and why there are 16 valid votes that weren't counted?

[post="166692"][/post]​

What difference does it make at this point? The person (Juan Johnson) who determined that the ballots were invalid (for whatever reason) was defeated in the election.

Is it at all possible that we can move on from here and act like adults and do what we can to help APFA against the company? Or, are we going to indulge in several rounds of blame placing and further animosity? It's exactly what the company wants us to do.

Jim, I have to disagree. If this was an honest mistake, then it is an honest mistake. If it was intentionally done, then whomever was responsible should be held accountable. I'm sorry but if this was a deliberate attempt to change the outcome of a union election, then that is a crime. It could well have been an honest mistake, I don't know...but if not, then this is a serious crime. That would amount to thousands of votes being disenfranchised (anyone who voted for THB). And you know how I feel about disenfranchised votes.
Your argument
"Is it at all possible that we can move on from here and act like adults and do what we can to help APFA against the company?"
is the same argument used by a lot of F/A's after the illegal RPA vote. This could once again become "law of the shop" down the road.

Hey, I know its tiring. Like I said, maybe it was an honest mistake and it will come to nothing more. I hope so. Also, Juan Johnson might want her name cleared.

This is from the APFA Hotline updated on Sunday, Agust 8, 2004:

I got a kick out of this. I guess we now know JW is running scared!

In Rumor Control: Q: Flight attendants have been hearing about ongoing Department of Labor investigations with regard to the most recent APFA National Officer election. What is going on?

A: The DOL communicates directly with the president of APFA, and to date, the communications department has not had an update from President Ward regarding the validity of the latest rumors. If and when any official notice is given, we will update this hotline as events warrant.

Skyyggoddess said:
Also, Juan Johnson might want her name cleared.
[post="166734"][/post]​

The both of us see eye to eye on most everything related to the APFA. But, I think it's to little to late for Juan Johnson to get her named cleared!

I heard he was on vacation in Australia. (Or it is a perfect excuse for not informing the membership) Hard telling when he will return and inform the membership that the DOL indeed did make a ruling!

Wonder if he will make it back for the opening of the ballots on the 12th.

LiveInAHotel said:
This is from the APFA Hotline updated on Sunday, Agust 8, 2004:

I got a kick out of this. I guess we now know JW is running scared!

In Rumor Control: Q: Flight attendants have been hearing about ongoing Department of Labor investigations with regard to the most recent APFA National Officer election. What is going on?

A: The DOL communicates directly with the president of APFA, and to date, the communications department has not had an update from President Ward regarding the validity of the latest rumors. If and when any official notice is given, we will update this hotline as events warrant.
[post="166737"][/post]​

One question- what would happen if ward is on vacation and not present for the opening of the 16 ballots, can they still go forward and count the ballots or must they wait for him to be present?

I have to think this was an honest mistake that snowballed. I have flown with Juan on countless occasions and even though I de not agree with her ticket, I always felt she had the best interest of the f/a's at heart. She has helped me with the company on a couple of issues and always came through. I just don't think this is something that was done intentionally. Crucify me if you must, I don't like Ward either, but Juan...I have to believe the best.

twasilverbullet said:
One question- what would happen if ward is on vacation and not present for the opening of the 16 ballots, can they still go forward and count the ballots or must they wait for him to be present?
[post="166771"][/post]​

No, JW doesn't have to be present for the count. It will be in his best interest to be at the count, but who cares if he is or is not. Even know he is in the land down under, he knows that the DOL ruled to open the ballots. He also knows what date the ballots will be opened and counted. He probably is trying to find a way to hide or destroy those ballots.

Mikey... I guess he is not packing up his office! He better get back from vacation to pack up his office, because once the ballots are counted THB takes office on the spot.

Skyyggoddess said:

[post="166692"][/post]​

What happened was that the 16 ballots in question were members who had joined recently..... The membership office routinely faxes out the membership card, then follows up with a hard copy in the mail. During all past votes, the procedure had been that if you had faxed back your membership card, they allowed the vote to count. This time, they decided that if the hard copy of your membership had not been received and was on file, your vote would not be counted. Since most of the new members with from STL, it was a nice try by the Ward camp....The membership who bothered to vote will indeed decide this election, after all. Ward should have had the votes counted in Florida. ;)

Back