Doug Parker mgmt style

It seems that DP has been working harder in favor of this merger more so than Horton being against it..I think the momentum may be in Parkers favor...

Reactions: 1 person
It seems that DP has been working harder in favor of this merger more so than Horton being against it..I think the momentum may be in Parkers favor...

True. But the pilots asked for and were granted more time to consider the AA final offer. Just my opinion, but Parker the player is being played. I think Parker is being used as a negotiation leverage. I've seen many negotiations use a blind man's bluff to get what they want. Of course if you go by what most think, my credibility is low. They can't understand the difference between credibility and opinion.

This has just been my @$$#0!3. Time will tell who is right. Me being wrong is no surprise. Those in the industry being wrong is a shame.

Ultimately, if this merger does happen, I think it will benefit AA employees moreso than US. Stay tuned.

A potential AA-US merger is nothing but a wealth transfer - AA's revenue producing ability to US' coffers.... but AA cannot generate the revenue necessary to pull US up as well, which is why US employees are recognizing that the notion that they will win in this transaction is incorrect. There is an excellent letter from the USAPA on the US forum that highlights how US will be dismantled in favor of AA and its newly allowed codeshare and RJ operations.

Of course, the real "play" will come if AA employees decide a merger with US is no longer in their interests - and, having endured lesser cuts than they otherwise would have under the AA term sheets, AA will emerge stronger, making US' ability to compete against a renovated AA plus DL, a larger UA/CO, and WN that much more difficult.

Right now, the unions have a bad case of "anyone but the incumbent" syndrome. So do some of the creditors.

Investors? So far, nobody has really stepped forward for either the standalone or the US Airways plan. And that's what really matters -- who is willing to fund it.

I haven't followed it lately, but hasn't LCC's stock risen during the period following the announcement? I believe TPG may be also in the game with Parker also.

That being said, it would seem a little early in the game for other suitors/investors to tip their hands while having very little influence during the esclusivity period since Parker corralled the union vote.

I haven't followed it lately, but hasn't LCC's stock risen during the period following the announcement? I believe TPG may be also in the game with Parker also.

That being said, it would seem a little early in the game for other suitors/investors to tip their hands while having very little influence during the esclusivity period since Parker corralled the union vote.
My call is that regardless of what shenanigans go on it will all be viewed as "too little, to late" by all involved in this cluster and rightfully so.

Parker didn't "corral" anything. He did, however, manage to get American Air's three unions to threaten the CEO's failure bonus IF AMR emerges from bankruptcy by allying with Dougie - ie, Parker stood with three unions while they announced they didn't like their CEO nor trust him - NEWSFLASH!

American Airlines, US Airways Merger Speculation

June 22, 2012

Doug Parker, CEO of US Airways, has made a career out of attempting to merge airlines. The former America West Airlines CEO has not been successful to date. Eastern Shuttle, ATA, United, Delta. Bzzzzzt. What about the US Airways-America West merger you say, Bzzzzt.

US Airways Pilots and America West pilots are not allowed to fly each others routes due to a seniority dispute. Is this dispute a problem? Mr. Parker does not mind it at all, he uses it as an excuse not to bargain in good faith with the pilots and is saving more money than the synergies of a completed merger could bring.

American Airlines is Mr. Parkers latest attempt. He is setting up three pilot groups that will fight each other, synergies be damed. Paint all the airplanes the same color and use the politically motivated NMB to stall contracts indefinitely.

But tune in, the pilots are getting wise to his playbook. This may not be a good strategy this time around. Invest in gold, not greed.

LCC stock has soared based on speculation regarding a potential deal with AA. LCC execs and stockholders will make far more money by keeping the merger speculation going than they ever will by actually executing it.

Why don't you toss your hat in the CEO ring WT since your industry knowledge is far above Horton or Parkers?
I guess that you haven't had any luck getting Delta to take you back, huh? Boy are they missing out by leaving you out on the free market.

Right now, the unions have a bad case of "anyone but the incumbent" syndrome. So do some of the creditors.

That would be union leadership, and in the case of the twu leadership that would be Jim Little. I am being told that a meeting with the twu local presidents was to happen next week, but was canceled because the mechanic presidents are not on board with the Parker/Little term sheet plus 2,000 Tulsa jobs for 2 years tentative agreement for mechanics. The twu leadership was expecting a pep rally for Parker, and that was not going to happen from the mechanics. I was also told that my president was going to boycott the meeting if it were to happen, because they are still going to close this place anyway.

American Airlines, US Airways Merger Speculation

June 22, 2012

Doug Parker, CEO of US Airways, has made a career out of attempting to merge airlines. The former America West Airlines CEO has not been successful to date. Eastern Shuttle, ATA, United, Delta. Bzzzzzt. What about the US Airways-America West merger you say, Bzzzzt.

US Airways Pilots and America West pilots are not allowed to fly each others routes due to a seniority dispute. Is this dispute a problem? Mr. Parker does not mind it at all, he uses it as an excuse not to bargain in good faith with the pilots and is saving more money than the synergies of a completed merger could bring.

American Airlines is Mr. Parkers latest attempt. He is setting up three pilot groups that will fight each other, synergies be damed. Paint all the airplanes the same color and use the politically motivated NMB to stall contracts indefinitely.

But tune in, the pilots are getting wise to his playbook. This may not be a good strategy this time around. Invest in gold, not greed.
Parker tried and failed to merge with the Eastern Shuttle?
Wow, the person who wrote this stuff must really be on the ball as well as a credible industry expert. I'm surprised that you didn't proof read before posting this gem.

Why don't you toss your hat in the CEO ring WT since your industry knowledge is far above Horton or Parkers?
I guess that you haven't had any luck getting Delta to take you back, huh? Boy are they missing out by leaving you out on the free market.
I have absolutely no desire to work in or around the airline industry.
I do enjoy calling the shots the way I see them.
IN the case of a this mythological AA-US merger, I'd be happy to support it if someone other than the stockholders and execs of US actually could win.
Let's be honest... most everyone can see it... AA labor is interested in US only as much as it minimized the pain they will have to suffer in the reorg process. Given that the restructuring process will move forward before US has any chance of becoming an acquirer, it is highly doubtful that AA labor will be interested in taking cuts AND THEN engaging in a risky merger.

Tsk. Tsk. Good thing that idiot signals isn't saying all of the above, otherwise you would have a case.

Oh wait, signals pointed to the rising stock, since it worked during the 2 failed United merger attempts. What about this Sideshow Doug being used as a bargaining leverage? Oh that was signals, too!

Hey everybody, quit copying me because the Kool Ade gang says I don't matter or know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

You know what really ticks me off? There are airline analysists who get paid to write about speculation and get paid to do so. And they're wrong almost every time. :)

When you consider the number of media types that LCC has obviously hired to push this merger proposal over and over and over, it is no surprise at all that boards like this are infiltrated by people who want to tell us how great this merger will be.

Problem is the creditors aren't convinced and there really is no evidence that AA labor is other than in the increased leverage it gives them against AA, who is trying to fight off the possibility of labor and other creditors realistically bolting for greener pastures.
It isn't the first time that a company in BK has had to fight for its life.... and it also goes to show that AA does have some flexility in its restructuring process to make some changes that might SOMEWHAT lessen the pain for labor...
but the notion that US will provide a significantly better alternative to a standalone, reorganized AA is nothing more than a pipedream....
and yes, many people can see it and have said it in many different ways.
The LCC media machine just isn't ready to give up given that the future for US absent a merger with AA looks very uncertain.

Parker tried and failed to merge with the Eastern Shuttle?
Wow, the person who wrote this stuff must really be on the ball as well as a credible industry expert. I'm surprised that you didn't proof read before posting this gem.

Sooooo...you're saying he did try for ATA, because I never heard either???