Dub, Snn, And Gla Are On The Embargo List, Why?

Travelpro72 said:
The irish govt. was willing to cover the costs for us to stay. No other us carrier serves so we could have had a great advantage. The flights are really popular and even chosen over aer lingus by the irish passengers as well. Being on aer lingus vs. usairways the service is much better on us as far as coach goes. nobody will ever know now.
[post="253842"][/post]​

Subsidies don't covering all costs. They may hit a few of the ground expenses, but you still have fuel and aircraft costs over and above what they were willing to subsidize. Flying the Irish two-stop increases the number of cycles on the aircraft, which in turn drives up some maintenance that is cycle driven (i.e. landing gear, tires, door seals) as opposed to flight hour driven.

They better take that crusty bird off int'l then. I love the plane as for the cabin interior, can we say, "spit and chewing gum" and carpet that smells like urine. :rolleyes: .....I still think they could have if they wanted to. If it would have been a money loser I'm sure we WOULD do it year round.

From The Hub today...
Embargoes Lifted

The non-revenue travel embargoes for Shannon, Dublin and Glasgow have been lifted. Embargoes for companions and registered guests traveling alone remain in effect from May 1 to Nov. 1, 2005.

Travel and baggage embargoes are in place for non-revenue customers during heavy travel periods and at newly opened stations. Employees, eligible term pass family members, and companions are not permitted to fly space available -- unless otherwise stated -- during these times. For example, when US Airways launches service to Barcelona in May, a travel embargo will be in place from May 15 to July 15.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Subsidies don't covering all costs. They may hit a few of the ground expenses, but you still have fuel and aircraft costs over and above what they were willing to subsidize. Flying the Irish two-stop increases the number of cycles on the aircraft, which in turn drives up some maintenance that is cycle driven (i.e. landing gear, tires, door seals) as opposed to flight hour driven.
[post="254035"][/post]​

Presumably US would sell some tickets for passengers to take the flight. Subsidies never cover 100% of operating expenses and they aren't supposed to. That would be known as welfare.

AA is going to fly ORD-DUB and BOS-SNN year round starting this summer. Although, only 4 or 5 days a week in the winter.