Talk of new aircraft.. Why?

Dec 4, 2005
There is alot of talk of new aircraft for expansion, but do U.S really need them?. Why do U.S concentrate on Seasonal european station when other carrier go year round there, i.e CO-GLA CO-BCN DL-VCE(after seeing that u.s made a good move moving into VCE , DL enters and U.S surrenders the winter market to them!

Plus DUB/SNN which is served by DL-JFK, ATL/CO
has 2 departures a day to EWR/And AA-BOS all in the
winter months, xmas shopping to the states from ireland
is a massive thing there and all the carriers benefit except U.S who disappear in october or november.

I dont know who is doing the planning but seems strange
to give up these markets in the winter. It must be hell
marketing u.s to companys and corporations in these
markets when they offer only a few months a year service.

Maybe U.S will concentrate on the lucrative domestic revenue! :lol:

i think in the past they did this to cut seasonal losses when things were terribly tight moneywise...now maybe with some breathing room and a new management team,maybe these things will be looked at in something other than a panic mode .

Cant be great for the staff that get booted out at the end of october either!. I dont know why they leave it all to the other carriers!!

Plus DUB/SNN which is served by DL-JFK, ATL/CO
has 2 departures a day to EWR/And AA-BOS all in the
winter months, xmas shopping to the states from ireland
is a massive thing there and all the carriers benefit except U.S who disappear in october or november.

Delta just began flying to Dublin from Boston. Apparently, somebody in Atlanta finally realized that there is a huge Irish-American population in the Boston area.

(Anybody who doesn't believe that should attend a Boston College home football game. Or a Boston City Council meeting.)

AA does year round flts BOS-SNN and ORD-DUB. They are daily except during the winter months, then they drop to 4 days a week.

Star Alliance seeks custom Dreamliner specifications
Thursday April 13, 2006
Star Alliance is working on collective specifications for the 787, Air New Zealand CEO Rob Fyfe told ATWOnline during the group's meeting in Johannesburg earlier this week. The alliance has a working group including member airlines Lufthansa, ANA, Singapore Airlines, ANZ, Air Canada and LOT Polish Airlines negotiating with Boeing on a wide spectrum of specifications ranging from cockpit configuration through galley configuration and seat pitch.

Individual carriers would buy the aircraft, "but a far-reaching commonality in the specifications facilitates the seasonal aircraft swapping between members," Fyfe noted, adding there is also a cost benefit. "The more you have commonality in your requirements, the more that Boeing will look to feed those issues into the base design, rather than having to do them as add-on incremental." Economies of scale are an additional advantage.

Star already had a similar joint aircraft project, although on smaller scale, for the Embraer 175/190. "Regional jets have fewer specifications, so it was an easier project. It was very successful. A number of Star Alliance partners have ordered the aircraft with the Star Alliance specifications," Fyfe said.

DL-VCE(after seeing that u.s made a good move moving into VCE , DL enters and U.S surrenders the winter market to them!

Actually Delta was operating in VCE year-round when US Airways entered the market last summer. As for why US only operate seasonally in these markets it's because a lack of equipment. US flies all the ETOPS aircraft at maximum usage during the summer (for maximum revenue) then in the winter they are cycled through heavy maintenance checks.

I would guess that the big carriers with a large fleet of ETOPS aircraft stagger their heavy checks throughout the whole year. If US started doing this it wouldn't be able to fly 19 transatlantic flights a day with 22 ETOPS aircraft as is scheduled this summer and still be able to accomplish the required line maintenance checks during the peak season.

Doug Parker has been saying that if there is no expansion in a few years then something has gone wrong.

At least even he sees that constraining capacity while good in the short term is not a good overall strategy.

Well i taught with the additional 757's purchased they could be used on the DUB/SNN route in the winter, even if it was just wrap flight?. I suppose these etops 757's will be used on carribean routes in the winter.. waste of etops aircraft if you ask me, so they do have the equipment now..

Well i taught with the additional 757's purchased they could be used on the DUB/SNN route in the winter, even if it was just wrap flight?. I suppose these etops 757's will be used on carribean routes in the winter.. waste of etops aircraft if you ask me, so they do have the equipment now..
It isnt a total waste to have those a/c over some of the 757s flying now in the Carribean. Some of the routes they can fly from PHL will save 40 minutes.

40 mins!! Wow, thats great use for them!, is international planning done by the HP side now or the East side, hopefully its the west side they seem more competant in making decisions