Snn And Dub Going Yearly In 2006?

Travelpro72

Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
I just returned from a SNN trip and was told by all of the agents that US has agreed to go yearly there and to DUB starting at the end of the normal season in 2006. How true is this? I don't see how our US 757's could make that run. They did say that after the busy season next year it would go to a 757 and each city would get their own flight from PHL not a flagstop. Interesting....

757s built sometime after like 1992 all have the ability to be upgraded to 255,000 lbs max takeoff weight, whatever their original certificated weight. At least some US Airways 757s fall in this category.

US Airways (and America West) 757s are all Rolls powered. High max takeoff weight Rolls powered 757s can reach Europe (or at least Ireland) from PHL. America West has already qualified some 757s to ETOPS for Hawaii. US Airways ETOPS 767s to Europe. It wouldn't be that hard to have ETOPS 757s over the Atlantic as well, and it would be more cost effective than the 767-200s.

And if some of them were upgraded to blended winglets, US Airways could reach further into Europe.

CAL carpet bombs Europe from EWR with 757s, including some with winglets.

Travelpro72 said:
I just returned from a SNN trip and was told by all of the agents that US has agreed to go yearly there and to DUB starting at the end of the normal season in 2006. How true is this? I don't see how our US 757's could make that run. They did say that after the busy season next year it would go to a 757 and each city would get their own flight from PHL not a flagstop. Interesting....
[post="302983"][/post]​

About two year's ago I attended a meeting with people from US Airways' Marketing & Planning Department where the company said it had identified eight European markets that could be served with B757 ETOPS equiped aircraft.

At the time, the company was looking to adding used B767-200s instead if the could be obtained "on the cheap" because they offered better economics. I do not know how America West's senior management feels about the issue, but I would not surprise me to see used B767-200s added to the fleet for this service or current B757s converted to ETOPS aircraft.

It is my understanding that America West has converted 10 of their 13 B757s to ETOPS standards for the new Hawaiian service, which is set to start in a couple of months.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

How hard/expensive is it to put envoy seats on 757 and how many seats would that take out?

USA320Pilot said:
It is my understanding that America West has converted 10 of their 13 B757s to ETOPS standards for the new Hawaiian service, which is set to start in a couple of months.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="303055"][/post]​

I don't know about the number already converted, but recall the ALPA transition agreement - 2 daily European round-trips can be flown with AWA crews/planes.

Jim

BoeingBoy -- that's a good point and probably why Jerry Glass included that in the Transition Agreement. If my memory serves me correctly the Hawaiian service will have 6 routes per day and require 6 aircraft, thus a couple could be used for spares and a couple used for Europe.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Could be just a string of coincidences that.....

- AWA getting ETOPS certification for 757's, then
- Transition agreement provides for AWA crews/planes flying 2 European R/T's, then
- Announcement of 2 European destinations going to 757 in the off season

Does make you go "Hmmmm", though.....

And, of course, there's the opposite "Hmmmm".....

- Transition agreement provides for US crews/planes flying 1 HI R/T

Wonder where a US 767 could fly in the off season for SNN/DUB?

Jim

BoeingBoy:

I think you hit the nail on the head and did a very good job of strategic analysys. As you know the ALPA Transition Agreement states, "“The current and announced flying, as of the effective date of this agreement, between points west of the Mississippi River and the current State of Hawaii will be flown by America West pilots. The current and announced flying, as of the effective date of this agreement, between points east of the Mississippi River and Europe or the Caribbean will be flown by US Airways pilots. Notwithstanding the above, up to two daily round trips to Europe, up to two daily round trips to the Caribbean, and one daily round trip to Hawaii may be flown by pilots of the other airline.â€￾

The B767s could be used from PHX to HNL or to SJU in the winter, who knows, but Scott Kirby probably already has this thought out.

BoeingBoy, good work.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

"Strategic analysys"? Not really - mere idle speculation.

If it comes to pass, so be it - no brownie points for playing "What if...".

If it doesn't, that's fine too - my idle speculation was just wrong.....

Jim

So DUB and SNN on the 757...sounds good. What else? Im thinking yearound service to Glasgow, and new service to Birmingham,Newcastle,Belast and Lisbon. I thought about Bordeaux, but i know think it has the range. Any other guesses?

vc10 said:
757s built sometime after like 1992 all have the ability to be upgraded to 255,000 lbs max takeoff weight, whatever their original certificated weight. At least some US Airways 757s fall in this category.
[post="303011"][/post]​

10 of the US 757's are 80's vintage and the other 21 are 93-95 manufacture. I'm not sure about the 757's, but sometimes getting the increased MTOW is a matter of paying Boeing for the higher weight paperwork.

I have absolutely no idea what is involved in making the 757 ETOPS capable - anyone on the AWA side have any idea or ballpark cost figures?

I understand that putting the winglets on the 757 is a pretty extensive (and expensive) mod. Unlike all but possibly the earliest 737NG's, the 757 wing wasn't designed with adding winglets in mind so there are structural modifications necessary.

Jim

Can a 757 go PHX-NRT ?
that will be cool tho, 757s going to europe
those RB211s are very powerfull engines, can power L10s, and 747-400s

Don't forget PHX-LGW is also a real range possibility on the 767 since the codeshare has been dropped with BA. PHX-FRA is not an improbable route
addition because LH would be an alliance partner and thus could share
aircraft and benefit from connections to the westcoast , the southwest ,and Hawaii through PHX. The 767-200ER doesn't seem to present as great an initial opperating risk on a new route as the much larger A330-300 and the ETOPS 757 could be deployed in the east and Hawaii where their capacity and range can be best utilized.

BoeingBoy said:
Wonder where a US 767 could fly in the off season for SNN/DUB?

Jim
[post="303082"][/post]​

They fly them to the caribbean, especially SJU, where it is high season during the european off-season. From last december to the end of april there was 2 767's CLT-SJU and 1 767 PHL-SJU and the A320 were upgraded to 757's. Mainly criuse ship passengers fill them up.

A330US said:
Can a 757 go PHX-NRT ?
that will be cool tho, 757s going to europe
those RB211s are very powerfull engines, can power L10s, and 747-400s
[post="303182"][/post]​

I don't know, but I wouldn't want to go from PHX-NRT in a 757 :wacko: .