Employees no longer exempt from Baggage charges...

HP_JACK

Senior
Aug 28, 2005
So I've finished catching up on Britney, Brad, and Ashlee Simpsons pregnancy when I get to my propoganda Inflight newsletter. April to be exact. We've always had these in PHX and I love to hate them. If you want to trim the fat let's start with these people putting this together. Its the usually BS reading until an article about the new bag fees catches my eye. We (employees) are exempt from the 2nd Bag but after that we are subjected to extra fees.... WHAT!!!!! Not that I non-rev much anyway and not that many of us check bags too. Its standby and we like to carry on. Its the point that we shouldn't be charged at all!!! Here it is from page 7 April inflight newsletter. If you go to inflight on theHub and scroll down you can find the archived issues.

Like sands thru the hour glass, so are the days of checking a second bag at no charge. Beginning May 5th, US Airways
will begin assessing a $25 fee for a passenger’s second checked bag. Certain passengers are exempt, such as:
This policy change, like others recently announced, is due to rising fuel costs. With fuel hovering around $100 per barrel,
we have to be proactive. This change is anticipated to affect only 8% of our customers, yet generate $75 million in
cost savings and new revenue.
So what do you need to know as an F/A?
■ This change is not expected to increase the number of carry-on bags (remember, only 8% of passengers check
more than one bag). Continue to monitor the One Plus One policy.
■ If asked a question by a Customer and you are uncertain of the answer, direct the passenger to usairways.com.
FAQs can be found by selecting “Baggageâ€￾ from the “Travel Toolsâ€￾ drop down. They can also send an email to
[email protected].
■ Employees and dependents are exempt from the $25 charge. However, they will be charged an extra fee for three
or more bags.

■ Active military personnel in uniform with ID
■ Unaccompanied minors
■ Customers checking assistive devices
■ Employees and dependents
■ All Dividend Miles Preferred members
■ Confirmed First Class and Envoy passengers (at
time of check in)
■ Star Alliance Silver and Gold status members

So I've finished catching up on Britney, Brad, and Ashlee Simpsons pregnancy when I get to my propoganda Inflight newsletter. April to be exact. We've always had these in PHX and I love to hate them. If you want to trim the fat let's start with these people putting this together. Its the usually BS reading until an article about the new bag fees catches my eye. We (employees) are exempt from the 2nd Bag but after that we are subjected to extra fees.... WHAT!!!!! Not that I non-rev much anyway and not that many of us check bags too. Its standby and we like to carry on. Its the point that we shouldn't be charged at all!!! Here it is from page 7 April inflight newsletter. If you go to inflight on theHub and scroll down you can find the archived issues.

Like sands thru the hour glass, so are the days of checking a second bag at no charge. Beginning May 5th, US Airways
will begin assessing a $25 fee for a passenger?s second checked bag. Certain passengers are exempt, such as:
This policy change, like others recently announced, is due to rising fuel costs. With fuel hovering around $100 per barrel,
we have to be proactive. This change is anticipated to affect only 8% of our customers, yet generate $75 million in
cost savings and new revenue.
So what do you need to know as an F/A?
? This change is not expected to increase the number of carry-on bags (remember, only 8% of passengers check
more than one bag). Continue to monitor the One Plus One policy.
? If asked a question by a Customer and you are uncertain of the answer, direct the passenger to usairways.com.
FAQs can be found by selecting ?Baggage? from the ?Travel Tools? drop down. They can also send an email to
[email protected].
? Employees and dependents are exempt from the $25 charge. However, they will be charged an extra fee for three
or more bags.

? Active military personnel in uniform with ID
? Unaccompanied minors
? Customers checking assistive devices
? Employees and dependents
? All Dividend Miles Preferred members
? Confirmed First Class and Envoy passengers (at
time of check in)
? Star Alliance Silver and Gold status members
So are they going to compensate us if that bag gets lost?

So are they going to compensate us if that bag gets lost?

If you paid a fee, they will likely have to compensate you using the same policy as they do for passengers. Once money changes hands, legal obligations change.

What if you're a deadheading crew member and need to crewcheck that third bag? Many international people (or not) feel the need to carry 3 or 4 bags, just in case. Are they all going to be charged even if they're working?

For pilots, the flight bag ("brain bag") has always been exempt from any restrictions since it contains mostly company owned and FAA required documents. As for others, even if an international crew member finds it necessary to carry all that luggage, two of those can still be checked for free, one carried on board along with another "personal" item. That makes four. If anyone even going to work needs to take more than that for 72 hours away (16 of which is flying,) they need to seriously reconsider what they REALLY need for such a relatively short trip. I sometimes see int'l F/A's traveling with more luggage than Madonna takes on a 6 month world tour, and that is ridiculous. I could fit my entire NYC apartment in their luggage.

If anyone even going to work needs to take more than that for 72 hours away (16 of which is flying,) they need to seriously reconsider what they REALLY need for such a relatively short trip. I sometimes see int'l F/A's traveling with more luggage than Madonna takes on a 6 month world tour, and that is ridiculous. I could fit my entire NYC apartment in their luggage.
I recently had a commuter onboard from LAX-PHL. She was a PSA gal who called me Honey twelve times in two minutes. She carried four bags and a cooler. She explained to me the challenges of commuting and working international. I wanted to say, "Do you think I was hired yesterday, live in Podunkville, and have never been outside of the United States"? I understand commuting, and I have worked an International or two! Anyway, she was very sweet but I wondered what she had in all those bags.

LOL, did you tell her where you used to commute from?
It was a one-sided conversation, you know, one of those where a person speaks non-stop and the other person just nods? She even explained to me how the direction of the winds can change the flight time--this was r/t catching her returning flight. I was able to look shocked :shock: and say,"REALLY"? I simply had no idea.

It was a one-sided conversation, you know, one of those where a person speaks non-stop and the other person just nods? She even explained to me how the direction of the winds can change the flight time--this was r/t catching her returning flight. I was able to look shocked :shock: and say,"REALLY"? I simply had no idea.

I feel you USCREW...Man that's just awful :( LOL

I often wonder WHY any International FAs would carry so many bags...? Its one leg there, one leg home. It only adds to the stress of having to drag that many carry ons in the long run. When I travel for vacation, I pack what I need for a week in a 22" roller board..nothing else. What can they be bringing or taking to fill up those bags? :huh:

Hey Everyone,

The Employee Checked Bag policy FAQs have been updated on theHub and Wings. I'm posting the updated FAQ which clarifies that employees will not be assessed excess or overweight bag fees. Thanks!

Morgan Durrant
US Airways
Corporate Communications

9. Are non-revs exempt? What about employees and dependents and OAL non-revs?
Employees and dependents are exempt from the $25 charge. However, OAL non-revs are not exempt. The current policy which waives excess and overweight baggage fees for employees and dependents will remain in place. Employees and their dependents will not be charged for additional baggage.

Morgan,

that was one of the best policies USAirways had for airline employees - both online and interline. We could check as much as we want, it all goes standby just like we do. Sometimes we get'em all, sometimes it takes a few days. I think that US should really extend this priviledge to everyone outside of the S3/S4/S5 world like it was at the "previous" USAirways.

Thanks Morgan for your response. Now please go slap SS Shambles on the hand for her departments mistakes... AGAIN!

Latest posts